Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

P&J: Mulgrew on a mission

New defender wants to return from low country high on calderwood’s list

By Michael Gannon

Published: 23/07/2008

New recruit Charlie Mulgrew is determined to return from Aberdeen’s pre-season tour of Holland as one of the first names on manager Jimmy Calderwood’s teamsheet.

The 22-year-old former Celtic defender, who made an impressive Dons debut in the 1-0 friendly victory at Brechin on Monday, is part of the Aberdeen party which leaves for Holland this morning.

The Dons will play five matches in 11 days as part of their preparations for the new SPL season – with the first game against amateur outfit DZC, who are managed by Calderwood’s son, Scott, tomorrow evening.

Aberdeen then face second tier side FC Zwolle on Sunday and Premier Division team Vitesse Arnhem next Wednesday before coming up against Calderwood’s former side Rietvogels 24 hours later.

They conclude the tour against First Division team Go Ahead Eagles.

Mulgrew believes the trip will have added importance for himself and other new arrivals Bertrand Bossu, Mark Kerr, Gary MacDonald and Sammy Stewart.

Mulgrew said: “I am looking forward to going to Holland.

“We have a lot of good games and we will no doubt have some tough 90 minutes. The more games the better.

“It will be important for me and the other new players because this trip will bring us all closer together.

“I knew a few of the lads before I came here, but it will be great to get to know every-one at the club properly.

“It is good for me because I want to give everything I can to establish myself in the team.â€

Mulgrew was delighted to come through his debut unscathed at Brechin on Monday, and he was only denied a goal by the woodwork when his free kick thumped the crossbar.

He was pleased with the start to his Dons career, but insists there is more to come from the squad.

He said: “I only started training on Sunday so it was great to get my first match out of the way straight away.

I was close to scoring when I hit the bar, although it was more of a cross. I still would have taken it though.

“I was happy with the free kick and a lot of other things in the game.

“But the most important thing was it was a good match for the players to build up the fitness.

“We could have been a lot better.

“The pitch was a bit sticky but that was no excuse because we could have passed the ball a lot better.

“It is still early and we have a lot of games before the season starts.

“I am very confident we will start playing well.â€

Definitely brings a threat from his free kicks, will have to wait and see about how he gets on at the back in Holland.

Definitely brings a threat from his free kicks, will have to wait and see about how he gets on at the back in Holland.

I'm just delighted to have a natural left back in the team.  It's only taken about 17 years to replace David Robertson... maybe this will be the guy who we were waiting for. 

The trip to Holland I'm not expecting much from in the way of results, but hopefully it'll go some way to making these players into a team capable of beating, say, Peterhead.