Jimmy backing his Pittodrie pupils

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/743652

Meet the young guns ready for action

Jimmy backing his Pittodrie pupils

By Andrew Moir

Published: 18/07/2008

TOP TIP: Midfielder Peter Pawlett.

More Pictures

JIMMY Calderwood is preparing to take a leap of faith in the new season by plundering the Pittodrie youth ranks.

The Dons boss reckons he’s got four rookies on his books who have got what it takes to make the big step up.

Calderwood is still celebrating after rising star Chris Maguire signed a new three-year deal.

But he’s already looking to the future again as he relishes the next batch of rising stars to show real promise

“We have got a number of very talented youngsters on the way through,†said Calderwood.

“Peter Pawlett will develop into a very good player.

“He would have played in the first team last season but had a very busy campaign but we didn’t want to push him too far.

“Young Stirling Smith really looks the part and is left sided which is a bonus.

“Stirling can operate at left back, left midfield or even as a central defender and could have been involved in the first team last season.

“Ryan Jack and Callum McRobbie have also represented Scotland, so have real quality.

“Although he might be younger than the rest, Fraser Fyvie is another good prospect but there’s no pressure on him at all.

“Even though he’s only 15, he played for the Gothenburg Greats during the half-time interval against Manchester United.â€

Calderwood further strengthened his teenage contingent by swooping for Irish kid Sammy Stewart in the summer.

Michael Paton and Stuart Smith have also been tipped to make the big push.

He added: “The conveyor belt of talent at Pittodrie is in full flow again.

“It’s encouraging for the younger ones to see the likes of Chris and Michael get their chance.

“Stuart has also played in the first team while Sammy is still young at only 17.

“Sir Alex Ferguson has always maintained grooming your own players has to be the way forward.

“For Aberdeen it’s just a matter of how they are all going to come together.â€

Pittodrie’s profit making production line has earned well over £1 million for the Dons in the last 12 months.

Homegrown heroes Russell Anderson, Michael Hart and Chris Clark have all moved south to help generate much needed funds.

Dons boss Calderwood would have loved to have kept the star trio, but understands nearly every club in the world needs to sell players.

But one player he has no intention of cashing in on is Maguire.

Coventry City were linked with a £300,000 swoop for the teen forward during the summer before he penned a new three-year deal to fend off potential suitors.

And Calderwood is convinced the young striker is the real deal.

“Chris is an exceptional talent,†said the Pittodrie chief.

“I first noticed his ability when I took over at Aberdeen four years ago.

“He has great enthusiasm for the game and that bit of cheekiness you need.

“Sometimes he’s got too much attitude, but it’s better to be like that than have none whatsoever.

“When he’s on form he’s an exciting talent. Chris is willing to listen and learn which is great.

“It’s a big statement from the club keeping Chris here for another three years.

“It sends out the right message to our other young players here and any club who may be interested in signing one of our younger lads.

“We’re trying to build something at the club, and while there may be times when we have to cash in on a player, it’s not something we’re looking to do in the near future.

“There’s been a lot of very good work done over the years when you look at our first team.

“Andrew Considine, Zander Diamond, Darren Mackie, Richard Foster and Derek Young are all products of the system.

“But guys like Clark, Hart, Kevin McNaughton and Anderson have left even just during my four years at the club.

“We’ve produced a lot of Scotland international players and hope to produce more of that standard in the near future.â€

“Sir Alex Ferguson has always maintained grooming your own players has to be the way forward.

JC KNEW ;)

Being serious, it is a good story and rather positive, i'll wait though until i see these lads play a few times for the first team which isna far off by the sounds of things.

That's just way too positive. Where is Stoney to pick holes in that story?

It sounds good to me = this is exactly what i was hoping to hear..............but i remember hearing the same about macauly, davie donald, baggie and davie ross bad none of them ever got a real shot.

I hope he means business this time, even if it means we take the coming season as a building process.