Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Peter Thompson

I see Killie had a bid of £50/60k knocked back for this player.

Linfield have asked for £100,000.

Why aren't we making an offer for this player? I thought Nicholl would be on the ball about this one as well. He is exactly the kind of player we should be signing to play up front with Miller.

He as netted 152 goals in 234 games and has been capped 7 times for Northern Ireland.

Some will say he hasn't proven himself at this level but neither will any of the players we'll sign so I think he'd be worth the risk if there is one.

Much rather see us go for this guy than some crock who canna get a game for Darlington. Thompson is a proven goal scorer at a level probably similar to the Scottish 1st Div. Opportunity missed if we go for Wright over Thompson I reckon.

Exactly.

In between Nicholl's "contacts" and the Killie bid in the press, surely we should be taking notice?

We need another quality option up front now that Lovell is gone.

The bid which Killie had knocked back was £150k plus add-ons, and Linfield still saw that as falling short of their valuation.

He does sound promising, and some of the recent transfers from RoI/NI to the SPL and Premiership have shown that the quality over there isn't as shabby as many over here like to think it is. However, we had our chance to get this lad a couple of years ago and didn't take the opportunity: I doubt we'll be back in for him again, given the asking price Linfield seem to be setting. I'd like to see us take a risk on him, but I don't think the board would sanction a £300k-500k (who knows?) gamble on a player from over the Irish Sea, and I think I'd be inclined to agree with them (at that price).

The bid which Killie had knocked back was £150k plus add-ons, and Linfield still saw that as falling short of their valuation.

He does sound promising, and some of the recent transfers from RoI/NI to the SPL and Premiership have shown that the quality over there isn't as shabby as many over here like to think it is. However, we had our chance to get this lad a couple of years ago and didn't take the opportunity: I doubt we'll be back in for him again, given the asking price Linfield seem to be setting. I'd like to see us take a risk on him, but I don't think the board would sanction a £300k-500k (who knows?) gamble on a player from over the Irish Sea, and I think I'd be inclined to agree with them (at that price).

Where are you getting these figures from? Sounds like Kilmarnock bid around £70k for him which was rejected.

I think its clear we don't have much money to play with in terms of transfer fees. Seems strange given our clubs "contacts" that we haven't inquired about him. But who's to say we haven't (I know how unlikely it is given how our clubs appears to be run).

S_S was it not in installments depending on appearances etc?? Surely if we actually offered 150K straight up they would bite our hands off.

There was something on BBC about a reputed 150K bid from Killie to which JJ said he had done no such thing.

I would be shocked to say the least if Killie were to be bidding 150K for a player!!

they have had a couple of good fee's from the huns for boyd and naismith in recent times

I think its clear we don't have much money to play with in terms of transfer fees. Seems strange given our clubs "contacts" that we haven't inquired about him. But who's to say we haven't (I know how unlikely it is given how our clubs appears to be run).

S_S was it not in installments depending on appearances etc?? Surely if we actually offered 150K straight up they would bite our hands off.

Not sure what the actual details were but basically JJ came out and said he didnt offer 150K.

To think of the farce that happened at Killie when they tried to sign Allan Russel in January any transfer fee mentioned involving Killie should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

£150k plus a 20% sell on fee would do the trick I reckon.

Arrange a friendly against Linfield in Belfast and that would give them extra money as well as I'm sure we'd all be happy to fly over the water for a carry on.

:)

Then we can laugh at the cunts when we let him go for free 2 years from now!!

Where are you getting these figures from? Sounds like Kilmarnock bid around £70k for him which was rejected.

Figure comes from a number of fairly reputable news outlets like the BBC, Belfast Telegraph, Eurosport, ITV, Sky Sports, Football365 and, er, the Daily Retard, to name but a few.

£150k may well be wrong, but it's certainly been reported by more than one or two sources, although I realise that the story may have been syndicated or re-printed from one original (possibly mistaken) report.

Alas I don't think our club had/has the foresight to act upon this. As you said, seems to be able to finish well enough. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the next month or so.

Yea, I heard Jaap van der Shitten from Schparta Schmallbeerschtein is available on a free.

He'll do.

::)

His wage demands were too high.  :-[

As soon as a player demands a wage he'll sign for someone else.

JC: Sign for us and come and play in Scotland.

Player: Dunno, like!

JC: Aw, go on!

Player: Hmmmm.

JC: Ye can drink as much as ye want!

Player: Hmm. Maybe. What would you be able to offer in terms of a wage?

JC: Ye want a wage?

Player: Yes.

JC: Ah..

League 1 (division 3) beats the SPL again  :

Stockport win race for Thompson

Northern Ireland striker Peter Thompson is to join Stockport County after Irish League champions Linfield accepted a bid from the League One club.

Norwich City had also made an offer but Linfield said it had been unacceptable.

The exact fee has not been revealed but it is believed to be in the region of £100,000 plus add-ons.

Thompson, who has seven NI caps and was the Premier League's top scorer last season, will now negotiate terms with the Edgeley Park outfit.

Thompson netted 44 times last season to help Linfield claim a third successive league and cup double.

A statement from Linfield said: "Peter has been an exemplary sportsman and ambassador for this club and his prolific goalscoring record bears favourable comparison with the greats of this club.

"Everyone at Linfield extends to Peter every best wish and hopes for success in his future playing career."

Linfield manager David Jeffrey had said on Tuesday that he was resigned to losing his top scorer.

"It would not be morally right to even think about standing in Peter's way," said Jeffrey.

"He has served us fantastically well and was the first to turn full-time.

"He made a career decision then and wants to play at the highest level he possibly can and he is in the final year of his contract with us.

"It will leave us with a massive hole to try to fill but he goes with our blessing and the club wants to facilitate a smooth passage for him."

Jeffrey praised Stockport for the way they had handled the negotiations.

"They have been professional about it and the fact that their manager and chief executive broke off from a pre-season training trip in Italy to come to Belfast showed their desire for Peter," he added.