Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Walker: I can take place of Touzani

Josh desperate for Dons return

By Andrew Moir

Published: 05/07/2008

ENGLISH teen Josh Walker today emerged as the favourite to replace Karim Touzani at Pittodrie.

Dutchman Touzani quit the Dons and returned to his homeland after a two-year stint in Scotland to sign for Sparta Rotterdam.

The 27-year-old failed to nail down a place in Jimmy Calderwood’s team and Walker, pictured left, wants his place.

He said: “I had a great time at Aberdeen, and would have no problems going back.â€

Walker was a hit with the fans when he joined on loan from Middlesbrough last season.

Touzani has penned a three-year deal with Sparta where he will look to rebuild his career.

In another twist Rotterdam have now sold striker Marvin Emnes for £3.2m to Middlesbrough before their SPL raid.

Yet the Dons have let Touzani leave Pittodrie for nothing even though he had a year remaining on his contract.

The former FC Twente man made just 25 appearances for the Reds and scored one goal.

Touzani’s Aberdeen career was blighted by a succession of injuries.

Walker, 19, is now looking to cash in on his departure by sealing a return north on loan from Boro.

The England youth cap made a huge initial impact during his loan spell only to drift out of the team, but is now touting himself as a replacement for Touzani.

Calderwood will contact Riverside boss Gareth Southgate and hopes to get the green light.

Walker added: “I report back to Middlesbrough for pre-season training on Monday, so I’ll have to wait to speak to the manager.

“If I am going to be sent out on loan again, then I want to return to Aberdeen.

“There’s a good chance Middlesbrough will want to farm me out so I can play more games.

“I don’t know that for sure yet, but I’d certainly be interested in joining Aberdeen again if that’s the case.

“I’ve been in contact with Lee Miller, Lee Mair and Andrew Considine recently.

“I also know new signing Mark Kerr having played against him when he was at Dundee United.

“So it would be easy for me to go back to Aberdeen and going back to Pittodrie really appeals.â€

Walker is still under contract at Boro for another year.

But they are keen to send the creative midfielder out on loan again.

They feel he’s not ready for the rigours of the English Premier League and believe further experience in Scotland would benefit the midfielder.

Calderwood is continuing his rebuilding job.

He recently captured Kerr who will join up with the other new recruits Bertrand Bossu, Gary McDonald and Sammy Stewart on Monday.

But the Dons boss wants further reinforcements, and believes Walker could provide him with further options in midfield.

Josh desperate for Dons return

By Andrew Moir

Published: 05/07/2008

He said: “I had a great time at Aberdeen, and would have no problems going back.â€

Classic Aberdeen journals.

Also at no point did Walker mention Touzani.

Guest swaddon
In another twist Rotterdam have now sold striker Marvin Emnes for £3.2m to Middlesbrough before their SPL raid.

Yet the Dons have let Touzani leave Pittodrie for nothing even though he had a year remaining on his contract.

Do you think we will get an explanation from the club as to why he was allowed to leave for nothing despite being under contract? Have they forgotten how to sell a player for a fee?

Do you think we will get an explanation from the club as to why he was allowed to leave for nothing despite being under contract? Have they forgotten how to sell a player for a fee?

Probably similar circumstances to lee miller leaving utd for us i.e. wanting him off the wage bill.  I dont really have a problem with it truth be told, doubt sparta would have been willing to pay a fee and we've got rid of a player that played in 25 games in two years.  Not really much of a loss is it, regardless of the fact he had some good games.

Is there not a possibility that we did receive a minimal fee and it just hasn't been reported? By announcing any fee we recieved, the club would just set itself up for more abuse from the fans for not putting it back into new transfers. Not EVERYTHING that goes on gets reported in the press ye ken.