Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

SPL secures its biggest TV deal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7481320.stm

SPL secures its biggest TV deal

The Scottish Premier League has announced its biggest television deal, proclaiming it as a significant cash boost for its 12 clubs.

A £125m contract has been agreed with Setanta Sports to continue the rights to live SPL matches for a further four years until 2014.

SPL executive chairman Lex Gold said: "£125m marks the biggest-ever TV deal in Scottish football history.

"This will allow clubs to re-invest to make the Scottish game even stronger."

Setanta's present contract, which ends in 2010, was worth £54.5m.

The new deal - more than twice the value of the present one - will extend the current partnership from the start of season 2010/11 through to the end of season 2013/14.

As with the present contract, 60 games will be covered live each season for broadcast across the UK and Ireland.

"Ten years ago, we spoke about delivering a brighter future for Scottish football," said Gold.

"Today, as we look ahead to our next 10 years, we can do so with confidence.

"No commercial deal comes close to matching what has been achieved today by the SPL and Setanta Sports for our game.

"We have moved forward with Setanta Sports over the past four years.

"We look forward to working with them to continue building and developing our league."

The BBC has a contract with the Scottish Premier League until 2012 for match highlights on television and online on the BBC Sport website.

BBC Radio Scotland and the BBC Sport website also provide live commentary from all SPL games as part of that deal.

Guest swaddon

Sounds good but how is it being split? Could be 45% Rangers, 45% Celtic, 10% the rest.

99% Aberdeen, 0.1% the rest of them.

99% Aberdeen, 0.1% the rest of them.

Have you pocketed the remaining 0.9%?

I take it this cash is divided over the seasons until the end of the 2013/2014 season?

Good news I suppose but it's not like it will mean that we'll be able to afford a transfer fee or anything!

Guest swaddon

Have you pocketed the remaining 0.9%?

I take it this cash is divided over the seasons until the end of the 2013/2014 season?

Good news I suppose but it's not like it will mean that we'll be able to afford a transfer fee or anything!

I meant 0.1% each. Hearts aren't getting a share, because they'll be out of business by Christmas.

As i recall the last deal was split 50-50

50% old firm

50% - the other 10

So the normal teams were getting £2.725 Million each and are now going to get £6.25million each  ;D

rangers and celtic were getting just over £13.625million each and are now going to get £31.25million each  :finger:

Could have made it a level playing field and given everyone £10.416million each but nooooooooooo

In the words of frankie Boyle

'its just more money for Bastards'

As i recall the last deal was split 50-50

50% old firm

50% - the other 10

So the normal teams were getting £2.725 Million each and are now going to get £6.25million each  ;D

rangers and celtic were getting just over £13.625million each and are now going to get £31.25million each  :finger:

Could have made it a level playing field and given everyone £10.416million each but nooooooooooo

This surely can't be the case?  For f*ck sake, the Monolopies Commission should be involved if it is.  :hammer:

Guest swaddon

Last time the Old Firm tried to pull a fast one in 2002 over the voting system, the other ten threatened to quit the SPL. If it does transpire that the Old Firm get the lion's share of the TV cash, then maybe it's time for a repeat performance.

Cant see why anyone would be surprised

Setanta is effectivelly Rangers and celtic TV. at least 80% of the live setanta league games feature one of the old firm because they have the most fans, ergo the most subscribers.

Ive only skimmed over the article so what exactly are fans going to be getting for all this extra cash they shelled out?

Are there going to be more live TV games?

Are they going to invest in a few thousand inflatable dummies to stick in the stadiums and make it look like there are actually people there?

Will there be live footage from inside the pubs where large chunks of the fans will be instead of the stadiums?

(anyone remember a few years back when I think channel 5 had the rights to the league cup and the crowd was so low they actually put a camera in a pub that was about 100 yards from easter road to show the celebrations when hibs scored?)  :hammer:

It's split like this. The Old Firm get slightly more on account of the fact they finish 1st and 2nd almost every year.

There is no mention of the way the money is split being altered so I would assume it is just the same. Each season £15m (approx.) is split equally between the 12 teams, then the remaining £15m is split according to a sliding scale depending on league finish.