Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Permanent Deals for Aluko & Walker?

The football 'Gossip Column' section on BBC.co.uk is reporting a story in today's Sun which has Calderwood saying that we are trying to sort out permanent transfers for both Josh Walker and Sone Aluko.

Anyone know anything about this?

I'm assuming it's total, utter garbage as per the Sun's usual gutter standards of journalism. I've tried to find it on their site, but as per usual, there's no sign whatsoever of the stories from the Scottish edition.

It also says that we are trying to sign (on loan) a defender from Chelsea called Jack Cork.

Guest ally s

I think you've answered your own question there.

I can't see them coming here on permanent contracts, I'd like to have Walker back on a season long loan though.  Not too fussed about Aluko

There is a small mention in the EE but suggests loan deals again...

Jimmy on trail of Chelsea kid Cork

Published: 30/06/2008

ABERDEEN manager Jimmy Calderwood is chasing a loan move for Chelsea rookie Jack Cork.

The Dons boss has held talks with Blues youth chief Frank Arnesen who he knows well from his days in Dutch football.

The 19-year-old is in his fourth year as a professional with the Stamford Bridge club, and can play either as right back or central defender.

Calderwood said: “I know Frank well, and I’ve made my interest known in Jack.

“But there’s a lot of interest in the boy, so we face competition.â€

Calderwood will have to rely on some loan deals as he looks to beef up his squad for the new season.

That’s why he’s preparing fresh moves to bring Sone Aluko and Josh Walker back from Birmingham and Middlesbrough.

Calderwood added: “It would be great to get Sone and Josh back too, as they both made such an impact last season.â€

Guest fatshaft

There is a small mention in the EE but suggests loan deals again...

Jimmy on trail of Chelsea kid Cork

Published: 30/06/2008

ABERDEEN manager Jimmy Calderwood is chasing a loan move for Chelsea rookie Jack Cork.

The Dons boss has held talks with Blues youth chief Frank Arnesen who he knows well from his days in Dutch football.

The 19-year-old is in his fourth year as a professional with the Stamford Bridge club, and can play either as right back or central defender.

Calderwood said: “I know Frank well, and I’ve made my interest known in Jack.

“But there’s a lot of interest in the boy, so we face competition.â€

Calderwood will have to rely on some loan deals as he looks to beef up his squad for the new season.

That’s why he’s preparing fresh moves to bring Sone Aluko and Josh Walker back from Birmingham and Middlesbrough.

Calderwood added: “It would be great to get Sone and Josh back too, as they both made such an impact last season.â€

Sigh.....

Aluko and Walker were succussful loan signings, why should we write the next one off?  ???

Don't think anyone's saying the lad's going to be rubbish, but there's no point in bringing in a loanee from a big club just because it looks good. I would far rather give Considine another run out next year. Willie and Jimmy keep banging on about giving youth a chance: why should we give somebody else's youths a chance ahead of our own?

I should state that I have no problem whatsoever with JC bringing in loan deals, and I was enthusiastic about his decision to go for Aluko and Walker from the word go last season. But they have to be the right player for the right position, not just a small name from a big club for the sake of it.

The way I see it, we have far greater priorities right now than temporary cover at centre-half, and I would rather see JC focussing his energy on those areas, whether it's a loan deal or a permanent transfer.

Fuck loan signings waste of time,

Lets get some young players in the team - theres no chance of finishing bottom lets get a team full of youngstars then build round the future of the team.

Jimmy can't be that bad then?

Guest swaddon

Is an inexperienced central defender really what we need?

???

Of course it is, you can't expect Jimmy to try forty different defensive pairings with only a handful of defenders.

Fuck loan signings waste of time,

Lets get some young players in the team - theres no chance of finishing bottom lets get a team full of youngstars then build round the future of the team.

Aye and you'd be the first one calling for Jimmy's head if he puts out a bunch of kids and we finish in the bottom 6.

Jimmy can't be that bad then?

He is but st mirren are worse  ;D

Aye and you'd be the first one calling for Jimmy's head if he puts out a bunch of kids and we finish in the bottom 6.

Not if we are building for the future, it would be understandable and expected - anything else would be a bonus.

You were greeting about how bad a season we had last year and how much we shipped goals but at the heart of the defence for most of the season were Considine and Diamond, both products of the youth system. So going by your logic it's understandable how many goals we lost, that we only got to two semi-finals, finished 4th and got to the last 32 of the UEFA cup.

You were greeting about how bad a season we had last year and how much we shipped goals but at the heart of the defence for most of the season were Considine and Diamond, both products of the youth system. So going by your logic it's understandable how many goals we lost, that we only got to two semi-finals, finished 4th and got to the last 32 of the UEFA cup.

Not once have i complained about diamond or consedine.

::) ::)::) We got horsed by united and QOS how anybody could take any good out of that is beyond me.

and who was at the heart of the defence for those two debacles.

At least we got to the semi's, yes it was a crushing disappointment to lose to QotS but we were there to lose it. I don't think that people would be complaining so much about our "dismal" cup runs if we'd gone out to Celtic in the replay at Parkhead.

and who was at the heart of the defence for those two debacles.

At least we got to the semi's, yes it was a crushing disappointment to lose to QotS but we were there to lose it. I don't think that people would be complaining so much about our "dismal" cup runs if we'd gone out to Celtic in the replay at Parkhead.

Doesnt matter how good diamond the rest of the defence were, when langfield does everything apart from kick the ball into his own net.

Nobody said it was a dismal cup run, i am saying it means nothing if you dont get to the final.

langfield was only at fault for one of the goals in the semi, the 3rd one when he slipped on the way out for the ball. Severin's backpass put him in seven colours of shite for the 4th and the defending was abysmal for the first two, free headers inside the box, I would be blaming the defence for that.

The defence has been a total Jakki Brambles, all season, be that because of inconsistent form, inconsistent selection (injury, loss of form, suspension, tombola, transfers, fatigue) who knows but I suspect all of those played their part but 10men has a point. That's been the heart of the defence and it's been pony.

Aluko going nowhere, claims McLeish

By Andrew Moir

Published: 02/07/2008

GOTHENBURG Great Alex McLeish today warned Jimmy Calderwood that Sone Aluko is going nowhere right now.

The Dons boss wants to bring the Birmingham winger back to Pittodrie following a successful loan spell.

But Blues boss McLeish first wants to run the rule over Aluko first before making a decision about his future.

“I haven’t spoken to Jimmy Calderwood again about any possible loan for Sone,†said McLeish.

“I’m not saying it definitely won’t happen but the natural progression for him is to come back to us.

“He’s a player with lots of talent and I have to assess if he’s ready.

“I was hoping Sone would be able to join us for pre-season training but he’s going away with England.

“It’s great that he’s been selected for the European U19 Championships.

“That’s a great honour and I’ll be getting reports on how he gets on in those games.â€