Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New training Facilities

See in yon video for Cove Rangers that they are getting a new community stadium with 5 full pitches + a couple of 7-as side pitches. (im presuming that at least some of these will be astroturf?) on the south side

Are these facilities up for grabs for the dons or is it to be the case that a highland league / possile 3rd division team in the same city has decent facilities and diamond and co have to continue to make do with the beach and seaton park?

http://www.coveforthesfl.com/

Guest fatshaft

They certaintly seem to have enough drive and ambition.  If only that would spread northward along the coast... ::)

Aye, cos AFC don't have plans for a brand new stadium in the pipeline at all  ::)

It would not surprise me if AFC don't start using the new fcaility at Chris Anderson Stadium.

There will be a full size indoor pitch, where the old hockey pitch used to be. It is supposed to be a football surface so should be better for the players trainging on. Lets face it, if half the English premiership can train on these why not AFC.

The new facility will also have weights and conditioning rooms as well as an indoor altheltics area where the players can do all the fitness they need without getting wet.

Then there will be the existing football pitch in the middle of the track if they really need to be outside.

Why should the club spend millions building something when they have something built right next door which will most likely never be used during the day when they do all their training any way. Plus the council get money in when the club use it at times when nobody else will.

It would not surprise me if AFC don't start using the new fcaility at Chris Anderson Stadium.

There will be a full size indoor pitch, where the old hockey pitch used to be. It is supposed to be a football surface so should be better for the players trainging on. Lets face it, if half the English premiership can train on these why not AFC.

The new facility will also have weights and conditioning rooms as well as an indoor altheltics area where the players can do all the fitness they need without getting wet.

Then there will be the existing football pitch in the middle of the track if they really need to be outside.

Why should the club spend millions building something when they have something built right next door which will most likely never be used during the day when they do all their training any way. Plus the council get money in when the club use it at times when nobody else will.

Sounds good in theory but something tells me that's not how it'll go down.

• 6 years later...
THE Dons have confirmed they hope to build their new state-of-the-art training ground at Balgownie.

Pittodrie vice-chairman George Yule admitted the site at Bridge of Don, which is owned by the University of Aberdeen, has been chosen to house the development which will finally bring the Dons into the modern age.

Yule broke the news during the inaugural fundraising dinner for the AFC Community Trust, held at the Marcliffe Hotel, Pitfodels.

The club also confirmed Scotland football legend Denis Law has agreed to act as honorary patron to the Trust.

Yule said: “We have been engaged in talks with the University of Aberdeen for some time about us getting the use of Balgownie.

“The discussions are now at a very advanced stage. We’ve still a bit of work to do in terms of lay-out and funding.

“But we are very confident we will have good news to deliver on that very shortly.”

If we are building training facility out at Balgownie does that mean Loriston is dead then as stadium site?

No reason why it would be

Celtic's training ground is in Lennoxtowwn

Ranger's is in Milngavie

Heart's is at Riccarton

Hibernian's is in Ormiston

It is possible to drive across the city

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely something we should look to emulate, albeit on a much smaller scale. I believe it even shares the ground with a 6th form college, which I imagine was part of the section 106 along with a pitch dedicated for community use.  There is no reason why we shouldn't be looking at this as a precedent.

amazes me that even man city didnt have a training ground. could we do something like that for what, 10-15mil?

They do, it is / was Carrington, i'm not sure what they've done with it though.  I think this is just for their academy which was at Platt Lane. I'm guessing it's all moved to Sport City.