Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Jimmy says relax

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football-news/2008/06/24/patience-will-bring-new-stars-86908-20618890/

Be patient for new signings, Jimmy Calderwood tells Aberdeen fans

Jun 24 2008

JIMMY CALDERWOOD has told Aberdeen fans, frustrated by a lack of summer signings, their patience will be rewarded with the new faces they crave.

So far only midfielder Gary McDonald and keeper Bertrand Bossu have been recruited. But the Dons boss said: "I want to bring in players of quality and this can often take a bit more time than expected.

"I could parade three players tomorrow because there are guys out there who would crawl all the way here for the chance to play for this club.

"But I don't want to bring in players just to make up numbers. They must be able to improve the team significantly.

"We had to be patient when we were pursuing Jamie Smith and Lee Miller but that course was fully rewarded in the end.

"I can understand some of our fans getting a little restless because rival clubs have made signings. We will sign others as well and all I ask is for the fans to hold on a wee while longer.

"We have identified our top targets and, while completing deals isn't as easy as it was a few years ago, work is going on behind the scenes all the time."

Was kluiverts flight delayed?

Guest swaddon
But I don't want to bring in players just to make up numbers. They must be able to improve the team significantly.

It's never stopped him before.

Translation:

I promised the fans a whole new team for next season to keep the support enthusiastic for the new season.  However Milne is being his usual tight fisted self, despite the money I was promised and we wont have the number of players I want to bring in come the start of the season so the fans had better brace themselves for a dissapontment.

Translation:

I promised the fans a whole new team for next season to keep the support enthusiastic for the new season.  However Milne is being his usual tight fisted self, despite the money I was promised and we wont have the number of players I want to bring in come the start of the season so the fans had better brace themselves for a dissapontment.

The money he was promised is there, is it not?

Love the fact that we are now blaming milne for not signing any despite our manager being away on his usual tour of duty at this time of season and our part time director of football still nowhere to be seen.

Same scenario season after season with this too and still we point the finger at the board  :thumbsup:

Only a matter of time before we are blamed for not turning up and selling out every home game for the lack of players signed.

If we were that good last season and it was our best season in years why are we having to sign 8 or 9 players in the first place  ::)

The money he was promised is there, is it not?

Love the fact that we are now blaming milne for not signing any despite our manager being away on his usual tour of duty at this time of season and our part time director of football still nowhere to be seen.

Same scenario season after season with this too and still we point the finger at the board  :thumbsup:

Only a matter of time before we are blamed for not turning up and selling out every home game for the lack of players signed.

If we were that good last season and it was our best season in years why are we having to sign 8 or 9 players in the first place  ::)

There was a minor element of sarcasm to this post. I know,  can be subtle when I want to be.

Jimmy said he would bring in heaps and heaps of players.  Now he is being selective and want to make sure of their quality. Which is fair enough.  Time is also beginning to run out.  what wont happn is we will be signing the exodus he said he would.

These quotes were lifted from a story in last week's EE.  ::)

I thought so.

Anyway, I didn't think for a second we would be signing 10 players. I think we all had a hope we would but knew that AFC will use the re-signing of players as an excuse (which i'm sure they will do). Time is running out and we don't have a 1st XI yet that I am comfortable with let alone an 18 man squad. The next month or so will be interesting, and I hope for the right reasons.