Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Should we follow suit?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/7452330.stm

Just read this and wondered if we should try something similar. Would help to cut costs and by squeezing fans together and less empty spaces, the atmosphere may improve.

Not sure which area we could close cos most usually have a smattering of fans. How about closing the upper deck and forcing the fans there into either the Merkland or South? Open it up for the big games?

These are not my actual suggestions, just wondered what folks thoughts are?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/7452330.stm

Just read this and wondered if we should try something similar. Would help to cut costs and by squeezing fans together and less empty spaces, the atmosphere may improve.

Not sure which area we could close cos most usually have a smattering of fans. How about closing the upper deck and forcing the fans there into either the Merkland or South? Open it up for the big games?

These are not my actual suggestions, just wondered what folks thoughts are?

The closing of the RDS upper has been mooted here before, or perhaps it was on another site.

Personally, I think it's a decent idea for smaller games, and certainly worth a shot if nothing else. If people don't like it, then revert.

Guest swaddon

In the programme for the Tall Ships challenge match against Manchester United in 1991 it has an article on the new RDS, and it said that the top deck would only be open for big games, but that never happened.

I think it could be a good idea, it might improve the atmosphere if fans were closer together, but Dons fans moan about anything and everything that the club does, be it a new strip or the meat content of the pies, so I think the idea is a non-starter.

Guest Caroline B

Perhaps the club could trial it at a couple of the lesser matches eg, any league cup tie against lower league opposition or the likes of St Mirren, Falkirk etc.....

Mind you, having said that, we can't even fill the ground for Old Firm matches so I guess any match could be trialed.

If it saves the club money, then anything is worth trialing at least once.

Agreed Caroline B....why not....it's not like the Scotsport cameras would miss anything.

If closing parts of the stadium and forcing fans into a more populated part generates a better atmosphere and therefore results in more inspired performances, I'm all for it

The most boring match I've ever been to was the one time I ventured into the Upper Dickie D. A boring match against St Johnstone where George O'Boyle scored the only goal of the game. We were shite, and the fans were so few and far between, it must've been a good dozen or so seats between us and the next lot of Aberdeen fans. If the RDU was closed off, and all the Richard Donald Stand regulars were forced to move into the lower deck, it would've been a much much better atmosphere and, I dare say, the fans might've even been able to put a bit of inspiration into Jess & co that day.

We've had this conversation so many times, I really don't see why the club haven't realised this (or maybe i'm not surprised). They really should have the grading system back which would then allow them to test such a scheme. I am in no doubt whatsoever that having the fans closer to the pitch will bring a better atmosphere/give more support to the players. Its something that needs to be addressed. Also, surely it would look better on tv to have a " full stadium "  than one thats sparcely populated?

I'm sure a match at Fir Park a few seasons ago (might've been when the likes of Deloumeaux and Billio were playing for us, hence I seem to remember 2002/03. But a lot of booze and other substances at that time have permanently damaged my long-term memory).

There was a fairly decent Aberdeen support at the game. I'm sure that the upper deck of that awkwardly-sized stand was shut off. Fair made for a better atmosphere, cos let's face it there were fuckall home fans at the game, and Fir Park ain't exactly the easiest of grounds for the Red Army to get to in their numbers

I'm sure a match at Fir Park a few seasons ago (might've been when the likes of Deloumeaux and Billio were playing for us, hence I seem to remember 2002/03. But a lot of booze and other substances at that time have permanently damaged my long-term memory).

There was a fairly decent Aberdeen support at the game. I'm sure that the upper deck of that awkwardly-sized stand was shut off. Fair made for a better atmosphere, cos let's face it there were fuckall home fans at the game, and Fir Park ain't exactly the easiest of grounds for the Red Army to get to in their numbers

They always tend to shut one level in that stand when we play there. Even the fiver game we were all in the bottom section.

They always tend to shut one level in that stand when we play there. Even the fiver game we were all in the bottom section.

Closing the top off though makes a hell of a lot more sense than closing off the bottom half! My one trip there last season and I couldn't believe how far away we were from the pitch. It was crap and sounded really shite on the highlights.

Closing the top off though makes a hell of a lot more sense than closing off the bottom half! My one trip there last season and I couldn't believe how far away we were from the pitch. It was crap and sounded really shite on the highlights.

They shut off the bottom half for the rearranged midweek game last season but when its cold and wet i'd rather be up the top. At least then you get to stay dry and warm while watching Foster bury a cracker from 30 yards!!

There are quite a lot of Season Ticket holders that sit in the RDU though and if they wanted to sit in another area of the ground then they would choose to do so. I'll be buying my ST for the upper Dick as it's where I want to sit, I think others should be allowed the same courtesy.

I'm sure I remember a couple of CIS Cup 2nd or 3rd round matches against lower league teams where the South Stand has been closed, maybe I'm speaking shite though.