Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: Wanderer Lee finally ready to settle down

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/657667?UserKey=0

Miller promises more goals

By Andrew Moir

Published: 12/06/2008

LEE Miller has been a wanderer for most of his life, seeing many different sights.

Brockville, Ashton Gate, Tynecastle, Tannadice, and now Pittodrie have all been home to the towering striker.

But don’t expect the 25-year-old to be off on his travels again anytime soon.

Miller finally feels like he’s putting down some roots in the Granite City.

The Scotland cap, who recently married Donna Gilhoolie, committed his immediate future to the Reds when penning a new two-year contract last month after leaving Jimmy Calderwood hanging on for months.

Now he’s looking forward to a settled spell, claiming that will help bring out the best in him.

“I never at any stage said no to Aberdeen,†said Miller.

“I just wanted to see what other clubs out there might have been interested.

“But it was best for my career to stay with Aberdeen, and this is definitely the most settled I have ever been at a club.

“I’m happy here and it’s a great feeling.

“I’m still only 25, but have been at five different clubs, which is disappointing.

“But that’s been down to a change in managers which can happen in football.

“I’d like to stay in Aberdeen and make real progress here.â€

Miller netted 12 goals for the Dons last season, despite not enjoying a regular run alongside a settled strike partner.

Darren Mackie, Steve Lovell, Chris Maguire, Derek Young and Jamie Smith were among the players who have been paired with the Aberdeen talisman.

But with Jimmy Calderwood closing in on another, there’s every chance Miller could be pitched in with a new forward.

He added: “Darren has had a disappointing season with injury problems.

“I don’t mind who I play alongside although I do seem to connect well with Darren.

“But I’ve also done well alongside young Chris and Jamie.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen in terms of who the manager might bring in, but I’ll just be aiming to do my best for the club.

“It’s important to remember that Craig Brewster was the first choice striker at the start of last season.

“That was just down to the manager’s choice but it might have helped me a little bit.

“No-one likes to be stuck on the bench, so it was almost a wake-up call for me.

“I want to be playing every week next season, but there’s going to be more competition.â€

Miller has long been tagged a player of great potential and fortunately for Aberdeen he’s finally fulfilling his early promise.

Perhaps his spell as a nomad affected his form, but he believes he’s got lots more to offer.

“I’m coming on to a game now, so if I can rest up this summer, then I can come back even stronger next season.

“The fans can look forward to more goals from me as long as I am fighting fit.

“I’d love to get back into the Scotland team, but there are lots of good strikers in the team.

“But most importantly I’m concentrating on my club football.

“I still enjoyed my best run of form for Aberdeen towards the end of last season.

“The manager showed a lot of faith in me and an extended run of games really helped my confidence.â€

Where is his wife from?