Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

John Kennedy / Alan Gow

Don't shoot the messenger but i've heard from a reasonable source that we are going to pay decent fees for both of these players. John Kennedy has apparently begged Strachan to let him leave so he can kick start his career.

Paul Dixon - Done Deal, waiting for him to return from Holiday.

And JC wants to take 1 of Cowie or Black to us aswell.

Don't shoot the messenger but i've heard from a reasonable source that we are going to pay decent fees for both of these players. John Kennedy has apparently begged Strachan to let him leave so he can kick start his career.

Paul Dixon - Done Deal, waiting for him to return from Holiday.

And JC wants to take 1 of Cowie or Black to us aswell.

Dixon, Gow and Black/Cowie would be brilliant.  However, I just can't see any of them happening...... they simply don't fit into the criteria of player we've been looking at. ie.. free

As for John Kennedy, there is no way our board would gamble money on this guys fitness.  It'll be interesting to see if can recapture his previous form wherever he ends up - he looked like a superb player before he got injured.

I doubt we'll get black, he is highly rated up there but did fall out with Brewster but they seem to be patching things up according to my source.

Dixon would be a good signing as would Gow and Cowie, as for kennedy, i'm not sure, he has had a terrible time and just needs to be rested and played at the right times which wouldna happen here.

It's a bit like Woodgate with Kennedy. Needs someone like Boro (us?) to take a chance and give him games and then he can move up the ladder again.

That said, I probably agree that our board (quite possibly very wisely) don't want to spend our limited additional cash on a risk such as this.

If fit, and if he could get back to his pre-Ganea form, then fair enough, but I just think there is too much of a risk there.

Kennedy has already had two separate knee ligament injuries and an ankle ligament injury. I really, really can't see Miller and Milne rubbing their hands together at the thought of that, rgeardless of how much Willie protests that Calderwood has final say when it comes to our signing targets.

Still unsure about Gow. 6 months of playing well for Falkirk and a year on the bench at the Huns isn't enough to get me excited, although I'll gladly eat my words if we get him and he's a success. Some of the stuff he said last year about being impressed by JC but not the city makes me think that agreeing a fee with Rangers may actually be the easy bit when it comes to signing him.

Riordan, on the other hand, seems a stand-out in terms of potential transfer targets, and I would be dismayed if nothing was being done behind the scenes about this. He's not done enough to warrant a move down south, and he won't go back to Hibs. Nor would he sign for Der Hun or Der Baby Hun. I doubt Motherwell and Utd could compete in terms of paying a fee or putting together a salary package, so I reckon we'd be mad not to step in if we have even a couple of hundred grand to blow. If nothing else, his age means that it would almost certainly be an investment which would pay dividends.

All of the above are the standard of player we need to be aiming at. I don't know much about Dixon but everything I've heard seems to be good. Kennedy would be a gamble but no doubting he's a good player, not sure if we've got enough cash to tempt Celtic to sell, loan deal would be more likely. Gow would be a good signingg but there would probably be competition form Utd/Hibs for him and again not sure if we'd have enough money to tempt the Huns to sell.

As for Cowie and Black I'd be happy with either but I think Black is out of contract making him the more likely option.

I would be very surprised and delighted if any of the above signed. Although paying fees and showing any level of ambition seems unlikely from us, I'll quite happily eat some words should any be paraded in a dons top by August.

Interesting that folk are saying the Three Wise Men of Miller/Milne/Calderwood may be put off by Kennedy's injury problems. Havn't we got a fair track record of gambling on these types of players e.g Smith & De Vish? Although the risk is increased with Kennedy commanding a fee, he could well be worth a gamble given that displays of his previous form would certainly reduce our pathetic goals against tally.

Kennedy has already had two separate knee ligament injuries and an ankle ligament injury. I really, really can't see Miller and Milne rubbing their hands together at the thought of that, rgeardless of how much Willie protests that Calderwood has final say when it comes to our signing targets.

Still unsure about Gow. 6 months of playing well for Falkirk and a year on the bench at the Huns isn't enough to get me excited, although I'll gladly eat my words if we get him and he's a success. Some of the stuff he said last year about being impressed by JC but not the city makes me think that agreeing a fee with Rangers may actually be the easy bit when it comes to signing him.

Riordan, on the other hand, seems a stand-out in terms of potential transfer targets, and I would be dismayed if nothing was being done behind the scenes about this. He's not done enough to warrant a move down south, and he won't go back to Hibs. Nor would he sign for Der Hun or Der Baby Hun. I doubt Motherwell and Utd could compete in terms of paying a fee or putting together a salary package, so I reckon we'd be mad not to step in if we have even a couple of hundred grand to blow. If nothing else, his age means that it would almost certainly be an investment which would pay dividends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/7433596.stm

Not sure how accurate this story is but £1 million for a player who has played 13 times in two years?? Fucking Ridiculous.

But Riordan is a good player, with the potential to be a great one. What value do you think? His value is what someone is prepared to pay for him.

You could suggest that as the Tims paid £200,000 for him and have deemed him not good enough, that clubs interested in securing his services would be sensible enough to tell them to fuck off. How long does his contract have to run? Would 3 years  seem plausible? In which case he could be approached in January for a pre contract, whats another season to someone who has already sat out two. 

I'd also suggest that he is a player on the cusp of his "prime" footballing years who was playing well three years ago and possibly could be a good player, to suggest greatness is surely overexaggeration.

You could suggest that as the Tims paid £200,000 for him and have deemed him not good enough, that clubs interested in securing his services would be sensible enough to tell them to fuck off. How long does his contract have to run? Would 3 years  seem plausible? In which case he could be approached in January for a pre contract, whats another season to someone who has already sat out two. 

I'd also suggest that he is a player on the cusp of his "prime" footballing years who was playing well three years ago and possibly could be a good player, to suggest greatness is surely overexaggeration.

Spot on.  Why do the old firm think it's ok to rape other clubs of their best players for a couple of hundred grand, sit them on the bench for a couple of seasons, then when someone else wants to give that player a chance his value has suddenly gone through the roof?  Haven't Celtic done enough to ruin Riordens career?  They've hindered the progress of one of Scotlands most promising young players.  I feel for Riorden, he knew his only chance of a Scotland call up was by signing for one of the OF, but like so many before him he's ended up nothing more than a squad player.

Scottish football is fucked because of the greed of Celtic and Rangers, and because the whole League system and the International set up is geared towards what's best for them and their 'fans'.

Tossers.

Spot on.  Why do the old firm think it's ok to rape other clubs of their best players for a couple of hundred grand, sit them on the bench for a couple of seasons, then when someone else wants to give that player a chance his value has suddenly gone through the roof?  Haven't Celtic done enough to ruin Riordens career?  They've hindered the progress of one of Scotlands most promising young players.  I feel for Riorden, he knew his only chance of a Scotland call up was by signing for one of the OF, but like so many before him he's ended up nothing more than a squad player.

Scottish football is fucked because of the greed of Celtic and Rangers, and because the whole League system and the International set up is geared towards what's best for them and their 'fans'.

Tossers.

The funniest part of it all is that they then go on to blame the rest of the league for not being competitive enough to allow them to succeed in Europe.

I don't believe for a second that Celtic signed Riordan with the intention of sitting him on the bench for two years.

As I have said before, having spoken to someone who has played with Riordan at both Hibs and Celtic, the opinion is that Riordan has not stepped up his level of commitment and effort since moving to Celtic. At Hibs he was a cut above a lot of the players there, and as such knew he was pretty much a certain starter as long as he did on the pitch in games. At Celtic, the difference in quality is not so vast, if evident at all, and as a result you have to move out of your comfort zone and show that you want that place more than the next man - by doing more than moaning to the papers about it. The examples of Caldwell, Wilson (when fit), Brown (until his injury), Robson (after Brown's injury) and McDonald show that if the players show the right attitude and application they will get their chance.

As for looking for £1m for him, well I guess that price could be based on an Andy Webster type situation, and I agree it probably is too much for him, given the price they paid and the games he has paid, but I suppose if someone pays it, then that's what he's worth.

I don't believe for a second that Celtic signed Riordan with the intention of sitting him on the bench for two years.

As I have said before, having spoken to someone who has played with Riordan at both Hibs and Celtic, the opinion is that Riordan has not stepped up his level of commitment and effort since moving to Celtic. At Hibs he was a cut above a lot of the players there, and as such knew he was pretty much a certain starter as long as he did on the pitch in games. At Celtic, the difference in quality is not so vast, if evident at all, and as a result you have to move out of your comfort zone and show that you want that place more than the next man - by doing more than moaning to the papers about it. The examples of Caldwell, Wilson (when fit), Brown (until his injury), Robson (after Brown's injury) and McDonald show that if the players show the right attitude and application they will get their chance.

As for looking for £1m for him, well I guess that price could be based on an Andy Webster type situation, and I agree it probably is too much for him, given the price they paid and the games he has paid, but I suppose if someone pays it, then that's what he's worth.

Caldwell?

Tossers.

In fairness cases like riordans are a lot rarer than they were back in the 90's.  Plenty of promising players have gone to the old firm in recent times and done really well, eg scott brown, mark wilson, steven whittaker.  Kevin thompson in particular has come on in leaps and bounds at the hun and will be the key scotland midfielder in a few seasons.  

Back to topic though john kennedy would be an incredible signing i reckon.  He's a clever centre half, the kind that could keep zander organised and if it happened they would be challenging for best CB partnership in the league.  Unfortunately i cant see us affording the transfer fee.  The Gow rumour has been going round all season and wont go away untill he leaves rangers.  If it happens it happens but im getting bored of hearing about it all the time.  Who is paul dixon?  Never heard of him