Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

JC in the mail today

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/sco...78057-20421570/

JIMMY CALDERWOOD went for a quiet pint with his dad in a Govan social club last weekend and found himself caught in the crossfire of Old Firm banter.

That was the moment the Aberdeen boss knew what a vital role he was set to play in this season's SPL title race as Rangers and Celtic head for a dramatic final-day shoot-out.

Caldo enjoyed the light-hearted fun with the Govan locals. But he knows there are serious conspiracy theorists who believe he and assistant Jimmy Nicholl - a former Ibrox star-will go easy on Gers.

The pair were accused of the same in 2003 when their Dunfermline side lost 6-1 at Ibrox in a thrilling climax to the season that saw Celtic pipped to the title on goal difference.

And the Dons gaffer is preparing for more of the same with Walter Smith's men heading to Pittodrie on Thursday night looking to clinch the championship.

Calderwood said: "The conspiracy theories have started already. I was visiting my dad James last Sunday and we went to his local club to watch Celtic's game against Hibs.

"There were Rangers fans up one side and Celtic supporters on the other and I had to walk down the middle as they all shouted: 'Ah, the sheep's in'.

"I didn't know what side to sit at because I would get dog's abuse either way so I just planted myself in the middle - and still got dog's abuse!

"Then as the game was going on and Celtic were winning some punters were shouting that we were going to lie down to Rangers on the last day.

"Then they'd come up and say: 'Come on Jimmy, you have to help us. How much do you want?'. What a great afternoon!

"Seriously, those guys are salt of the earth people. They were just joking and wanted to buy me a drink after it but at least they tell you to your face.

"You do get real conspiracy theories on the phone-ins. I hear people calling up and talking about my family and how it's a disgrace that Calderwood and Nicholl are playing Rangers on the last day.

"Then I listen to Rangers fans saying Aberdeen only try against them. So I have to say to them: 'Did we not knock Celtic out the Scottish Cup!'.

"As far as I know we have a much better record against Celtic than against Rangers.

"But Mark McGhee got it on Saturday because he's an ex-Celtic player against Rangers. Then Gus MacPherson will get it on Monday having started at Ibrox before it comes round to me and Nicholl.

"Every manager wants to win games and it's as simple as that.

"I'm afraid all the rest that goes with it is just Scottish football and you have to get on with it."

Caldo recalled that dramatic last day five years ago when the Pars lost heavily at Ibrox to hand Alex McLeish his first title as Rangers gaffer.

Former Celtic striker Chris Sutton came out after his side's 4-0 win at Kilmarnock saying he knew Dunfermline would lie down in the other big game.

The Dons boss knows that claim was absurd but it's an afternoon that will live with him forever.

He said: "I'll never forget Ibrox that day when we went there with Dunfermline.

"Rangers got a penalty in the last minute and the boy who conceded it (Mark McGarty) was the biggest Celtic fan ever.

"Do you honestly think I'm telling a Celtic supporter to give away a penalty in the last minute? Of course not.

"First and foremost I have never seen Ibrox like it was that day. The place was absolutely rocking, the atmosphere was fabulous and we played really well.

"We were losing 1-0, it went 1-1 then their keeper made a great save to stop it going 2-1 for us. Rangers just got the breaks and a couple of penalties.

"But I have to say, as a professional sportsman, to be in an arena like that was fabulous. I've been to a lot of big games in my life - at Hampden in the old days with 150,000 people there - but Ibrox that day was unbelievable.

"It wasn't good as an opposing manager because trying to get instructions to your players was impossible.

"I'd been to the stadium with 120,000 inside but had never seen it like that.

"To hear all the comments after that defeat by Rangers was pretty sad because they came from people who should have known better."

Calderwood insists Aberdeen have their own agenda on Thursday night - and that's to finish as high as possible in the table.

He said: "We've been playing well and have a chance to finish fourth which is worth around £150,000 to the club."

Guest swaddon

That's strange to hear him say that we are aiming to finish as high in the table as possible when he said last week that we had nothing to play for and that the season is over. ???

Could it be that oor JC is playing mind games?

That's strange to hear him say that we are aiming to finish as high in the table as possible when he said last week that we had nothing to play for and that the season is over. ???

Could it be that oor JC is playing mind games?

I guess it could also be that he's being miss-quoted? Mentioning no names. Apart from Charlie Allan.

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/sco...78057-20421570/

JIMMY CALDERWOOD went for a quiet pint with his dad in a Govan social club last weekend and found himself caught in the crossfire of Old Firm banter.

Caldo enjoyed the light-hearted fun with the Govan locals. "I didn't know what side to sit at because I would get dog's abuse either way so I just planted myself in the middle - and still got dog's abuse!

"Seriously, those guys are salt of the earth people. They were just joking and wanted to buy me a drink after it but at least they tell you to your face.

He's so salt of the earth himself. Thats what I like about him. Wonder what he means by "at least they tell you to your face"?

Guest swaddon

He's so salt of the earth himself. Thats what I like about him. Wonder what he means by "at least they tell you to your face"?

Maybe he's having a pop at us Internet-based JC abusers. I guess that's an open invitation to call him a bumbling, clueless fat pig any time you see him.

Maybe he's having a pop at us Internet-based JC abusers. I guess that's an open invitation to call him a bumbling, clueless fat pig any time you see him.

Thats what I suspected. Maddo wifie next to us at the Murrawell 1-1 game was screaming at JC "Its the fucking sack you need" at FT. No, she was shrieking it out, not screaming, but he heard it all right.

Only time I felt genuine symathy for him. I thought we'd played well and were unlucky not to win, and I don't think we were expecting too much that night, as there had been some poor stuff in the previous games.

Guest swaddon

Calderwood is on Setanta just now, pundit for the St Mirren v Rangers game.

Moonlighting, eh? That's a sackable offence. ;)

Moonlighting, eh? That's a sackable offence. ;)

If losing 4-3 to Queen of the South in a Scottish Cup semi-final isn't a sackable offence, then nothing is.

I've been a supporter of the mentally ill buffoon since he arrived, but if he'd been sacked after that game I'd have been perfectly happy.

I'd still be perfectly happy to see him sacked for that.