Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Maybury released by Leicester City

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/641724?UserKey=0

Calderwood steps up efforts to sign Maybury on permanent deal

By Michael Gannon

Published: 16/05/2008

ABERDEEN will step up their attempt to sign Alan Maybury on a permanent contract after the defender was released by Leicester City.

The former Hearts full back’s contract expired at Walker Stadium at the end of the season and the Foxes will not be offering him a new deal after relegation to League 1. Maybury, 29, has produced a string of impressive performances since joining the Dons on loan at the end of January and manager Jimmy Calderwood is keen to make the move permanent.

The Republic of Ireland international has previously insisted he would wait until the end of the season to make a decision, but Calderwood is keen for an answer before Aberdeen’s final match of the season against Rangers at Pittodrie on Thursday.

The Dons appear favourites to land his signature but there is reported interest in the experienced full back from other clubs in England as well as in the SPL.

He trained with former club Hearts before Christmas after being frozen out of the picture at Leicester and came close to rejoining the Tynecastle side before the Dons stepped in. Maybury’s Leicester teammate Rab Douglas has also been released by the club and the former Celtic goalkeeper is set for a return to Scotland.

Get him signed up!

I never rated Douglas as a goalie. He had a phenomenal defence infront of him at Celtic ... Boyd, McNamara, Mjallby and Lambert. I think Mark Peat would've been okay with that defence infront of him.

He reached his peak many moons ago. Not what we are looking for in terms of a long-term goalkeeping solution. Mind you, I didn't think much of Kjaer when we first announced he was coming to Aberdeen. He turned out to be the third best keeper I've ever seen play for Aberdeen ... only behind Watt and Stillie (ducking for cover, lol)

Guest swaddon

Douglas will probably end up at Falkirk, they're signing a lot of auld guys just now. (McNamara, Bullen and the other fella).

Mind you, I didn't think much of Kjaer when we first announced he was coming to Aberdeen. He turned out to be the third best keeper I've ever seen play for Aberdeen ... only behind Watt and Stillie (ducking for cover, lol)

He is now my favourite Dons keeper since saving me from the Nazi's.