Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Northsound Poll - The Results

Guest kittybrew

Guest kittybrew

Do you all know of the poll currently on Northsound. Taking in votes for player and goal of the season. I voted Zander Diamond Player Of The Season and Jamie Smiths opener against Copenhagen the Goal Of The Season (and by far the best Aberdeen goal I've ever seen)...although there are still two games to be played. Agree or disagree?

Bring on third place.

I would suggest he has been 'half-decent' - not great?!

How can you say that though?  you've been to how many games exactly?  I know you can't help it because of where you are but from an outsiders position looking in you can't say he has been 'half-decent'  for a while he was our best player week in week out then drifted away, then came back playing well again making amazing tackles and great interceptions.

Guest ally s

How can you say that though?  you've been to how many games exactly?  I know you can't help it because of where you are but from an outsiders position looking in you can't say he has been 'half-decent'  for a while he was our best player week in week out then drifted away, then came back playing well again making amazing tackles and great interceptions.

I've been to most games this season, Diamond has been slightly above average this season.  Yes he's had some very good games but he's also had some absolute howlers too.

That's a fair enough point, I can only base my opionions on the radio and the games I see on TV / Highlights, which might not be the full picture. Unfortunately football is a game of opinions, and based on what I have seen and heard, he has not been great (I could have gone to every game this season and had a different opinion from you). I agree he has been one of our better players, but I believe the word 'great' is bandied about far too much nowadays.

Well, put it this, compared to others in the side he has had a great season, that is what i meant in my first post.

I agree he's probably been our best player, but he's had some shockers, and still prone to some howling mistakes e.g. 2 days ago, although much less these days.

This has been his best season, and he needed it, as a couple of years ago only, I had real reservations that he may not have been good enough.

Apparently when he got MOTM at Pittodrie towards the end of 2007, one of the corporate customers congratulated him on his improved form and asked if there was any specific reason behind his improvement this season. Zander pointed to the bevvy on the table, indicating that he doesn't do it nearly as much as he did.

Shouldn't have been doing it at all then, the stupid giraffe. Duh! Professional athlete on the bevvy? Suggests lack of self discipline and lack of management.

He's been crap.

I would suggest he has been 'half-decent' - not great?!

No. definately great. Some people are refusing to give him his due but we'd be fecked without him this season. We dont have another decent central defender. Not saying he's not made a single mistake but overall he's been great.

No. definately great. Some people are refusing to give him his due but we'd be fecked without him this season. We dont have another decent central defender. Not saying he's not made a single mistake but overall he's been great.

How can he be classed as "great". He's played very well at times, but made some crucial mistakes also, and is no way the finished article. Russell Anderson, or a McLeish type player, can be described as "great", but no way Diamond, yet.

How can he be classed as "great". He's played very well at times, but made some crucial mistakes also, and is no way the finished article. Russell Anderson, or a McLeish type player, can be described as "great", but no way Diamond, yet.

Agreed.

He's gone down in my estimations after appearing to put himself before the club during the Scottish Cup Semi, by trying not to get himself booked so he wouldn't miss the final.

Was using the word that minijc used as opposed to "half-decent". I agree that he's by no means the finished article. I also did say that he's made mistakes but again.. if we had to rely on just Considine and Mair/Bus we'd be fecked. Zander deserves credit.

Zander deserves credit.

He has been poor. He is the mainstay of the defence, the highest paid defender, the one we should be relying upon to ORGANISE the defence.

The defence has been poor. He has to be central to that. He is the best defender at the club though but for me has to raise his game a good bit. To describe Zander as great really is quite something.

• 2 weeks later...

Aberdeen defender Zander Diamond has been rewarded for a fine season with the official player of the year prize. AFC fans have been voting in their thousands online on Northsound 1 and Northsound 2.com. Diamond just pipped Lee Miller to the award, with Barry Nicholson coming in third. Meanwhile Josh Walker's strike against Bayern Munich was second in the goal of the season category. Jamie Smith's volley in the 4-0 win over Copenhagen picked up the top prize.

NORTHSOUND / REDTV PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Zander Diamond 35%

Lee Miller 33%

Barry Nicholson 24%

Sone Aluko 4%

Richard Foster 2%

Derek Young 2%

width=249 height=212http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/94/fe/0,,10284~3669652,00.jpg[/img]

NORTHSOUND / REDTV GOAL OF THE SEASON

Jamie Smith v. Copenhagen - first of four goals in the Dons Uefa Cup win at Pittodrie 64%

Josh Walker v. Bayern Munich - first goal against the German giants 16%

Darren Mackie v. Dnipro - All important strike in Uefa Cup Round 1 second leg 12%

Jamie Smith v. Motherwell - free kick in 2-1 defeat at Pittodrie on the 15th September 3%

Jeffrey De Visscher v. Celtic - his goal in the 1-1 Scottish Cup draw 3%

Lee Miller v. St Mirren - Second goal in a 4-0 win at Pittodrie on 7th October 2%

width=249 height=212http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/95/fe/0,,10284~3669653,00.jpg[/img]