Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Todays EE: Kerr, Demouge & Miller

Dons join race for United midfielder

United midfielder in demand

By Charlie Allan

Published: 05/05/2008

TARGET: Dundee United midfielder Mark Kerr, seen here in action against the Dons on Saturday, is wanted by Jimmy Calderwood.

More Pictures

THE Dons have joined the race to sign Dundee United midfielder Mark Kerr.

Manager Jimmy Calderwood is refusing to comment on transfer speculation, but we can reveal Kerr, who will be a free agent in the summer, is a definite target.

Aberdeen have already noted their interest in the 26-year-old former Falkirk player, who will quit Tannadice in the summer.

Wages, as ever, could prove to be a stumbling block because Preston and Hearts are also in for the Scotland B international.

But the Dons are still hopeful Kerr, who has been a virtual ever-present since Craig Levein became the manager at United, will agree to come north.

One player the Dons will not be signing is Willem II striker Frank Demouge.

Dutch newspapers claimed over the weekend that the Dons were in for the 25 year-old, but that was dismissed by Calderwood.

He said: “Frank played for me at Nijmegen when he was a kid, so I know him well.

“But I didn’t even know he was now at Willem II so I wouldn’t expect too much to come from that one.â€

Calderwood also confirmed that Dons fans will finally find out this week if striker Lee Miller is planing to stay with the club.

Dons fans held up a banner at the end of their 2-1 win over Dundee United which read ‘Miller must stay’ and Calderwood admitted he is also desperate to see the striker pen a new deal.

“My wife and I were up all night painting that banner,†joked Calderwood.

“We are all keen for Lee to stay and will have final talks with him this week.

“It would give everyone as massive boost going into the game at Motherwell if Lee decided to stay.

“I spoke to Lee on Thursday and he has promised to get back to me this week. “It would be a blow to lose him because he has had a wonderful season.

“But players possibly moving on is part and parcel of the game now.

“We cannot match the sort of money players can get from clubs in the lower leagues in England.

“The Championship is now the fourth richest league in the world.

“It’s above Italy as far as finance goes and that’s scary.

“Watford were relegated into it last year and received a £30million payment to cushion the blow.

“AC Milan only got £15m for winning the Champions League.

“The money going about in England is just crazy, so it’s unfair to criticise clubs who say they just can’t compete any more.â€

Calderwood has already identified a possible replacement if Miller decides to move.

“If Lee goes we will take in two strikers. If he doesn’t, it will only be one.

“It’s up to him now.â€

Guest ally s

I'd be quite pleased if we were to sign Kerr.  He was outstanding at Falkirk, lost his way a bit at Utd until Levein came in and has turned in a fair few impressive performances. I thought he was unlucky to be subbed last Saturday.

Him and Miller would be a good pairing would they not? I've said this over and over again, I hope he stays, but obviously not on a bumper wage packet. I enjoyed JC's joke that him and his wife had painted the banner  :thumbsup: But its a bit of a nothing article (how unusual) from the EE.

I know he's a midfielder, I guess I meant more link up wise. Were they not at Falkirk at the same time? Or am I thinking of someone else?  :-\

Pretty sure they were at Falkirk together.

Kerr won't be doing much "link up wise", not really much of an attacking mid though maybe someone we could do with, good at keeping possession.

Just don't ask him to make any passbacks....

Especially as we do quite a few pass backs to the keepers hands off knees, thighs, chests etc etc

Anyway imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - from mad, you could have at least thought up a new title for your thread min!  :P

clipboard03cv2.jpg

Guest ally s

I know he's a midfielder, I guess I meant more link up wise. Were they not at Falkirk at the same time? Or am I thinking of someone else?  :-\

Yeah they were at Falkirk together, Kerr's more of a holding midfielder though.

I doubt they'll be playing at Aberdeen together unfortunately. :-[

Guest swaddon

I bought Kerr in Football Manager, and he was useless.

But seriously, he was a good player at Falkirk as far as I can remember, and he's one I'd like to see at Pittodrie, but as the ex-postie says, wages could be a stumbling block.

Calderwood also confirmed that Dons fans will finally find out this week if striker Lee Miller is planing to stay with the club.

Or we could point out that he's been stalling for weeks, so it's pretty fucking obvious he's not staying.

When it's announced he's offski are we all supposed to look surprised and say things like, "well I never", and "By jimminy, I didn't see THAT coming"?

Yeah he isnt coming to us!! off to Germany!

Moenchengladbach is a very nice place. Not very big but very charming and has some cracking proper old school boozers. A chap by the name of Bertie Vogts is the local football legend.

Guest bloo_toon_red

Moenchengladbach is a very nice place. Not very big but very charming and has some cracking proper old school boozers. A chap by the name of Bertie Vogts is the local football legend.

It is indeed.  Uncle BTR used to live there, so have been a couple of times myself.  I tend to look out for their results every now and then.

It is indeed.  Uncle BTR used to live there, so have been a couple of times myself.  I tend to look out for their results every now and then.

Must be easy to miss Borussia Moenchengladbach in the results round up if you're reading in doric.

Unless you have morphed into your alter ego, Blootered Red.

Dons set to miss out on Kerr deal

By Sean Wallace

Published: 07/05/2008

ABERDEEN’S bid to land Dundee United midfielder Mark Kerr is on the verge of collapse.

As exclusively revealed in Monday’s Evening Express, Kerr was a target for the Dons.

And Reds chiefs have been locked in talks with the 26-year-old, but look set to lose out on the Scotland B cap due to lack of finance.

With five clubs, including Hearts, Nottingham Forest and Preston North End, chasing Kerr, he looks certain to snub the Dons.

Kerr’s agent Scott Hume said: “Talks have been ongoing with Aberdeen for a while.

“However I doubt if the move will happen now due to the financial side.

“Mark Kerr does not want a package that will blow Aberdeen out of the water, only what other players at the club are on.

“He simply wants a deal appropriate to his ability.â€

Kerr has confirmed he will quit Tannadice in the summer despite efforts from boss Craig Levein to retain him.

And with Kerr top of Preston boss Alan Irvine’s wish list he will be able to command greater wages in the Championship.

“There are a number of clubs interested in Mark and I am also speaking with Hearts,†he said.

“However out of the six clubs Aberdeen did seem the most interested in securing Mark.

“But at this stage it looks like they will lose out.â€

Kerr has been with the Tangerines since the summer of 2003 and has made nearly 200 appearances for the Tannadice club.

I doubt Hearts would win his signature over us. I think if Kerr is looking to play consistently, and play according to his manager, then Hearts will not be an option thanks to Romanov sticking his nose into football affairs every second day.

If he's looking to stay within Scotland, we'll get him. If he's considering moving wherever he feels like, then no Scottish club will win against the financial clout of the Championship sides.