Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

EE: Walker to remain at Pittodrie?

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/620149?UserKey=0

Walker could remain at Pittodrie

By Andrew Moir

Published: 02/05/2008

ABERDEEN boss Jimmy Calderwood today revealed Josh Walker could still be at Pittodrie next season.

The news comes as the Dons were linked with moves for Scotland cap Robbie Stockdale and French defender Claude Gnakpa.

Walker was expected to return to Middlesbrough in the summer to resume his career in the Premier League.

But the England youth international is keen to extend his stay in Scotland if he’s given the chance to shine in the SPL.

Calderwood is preparing to talk to Boro boss Gareth Southgate in a bid to thrash out a new Walker deal.

“I haven’t been able to get hold of Gareth yet,†said Calderwood.

“But the most important thing for us is that Josh wants to stay.

“Even after dropping out of the side recently he’s still keen to stay with us.

“I have also spoken to his agent about things so there’s a chance he could be here next season.â€

The Dons are close to securing pre-contract deals with two more players in the wake of securing Gary McDonald from Oldham Athletic.

Calderwood won’t say who they are at this stage, but reports in England claim Peterborough full-back Gnakpa and Tranmere Rovers defender Stockdale are among those wanted by the Dons.

Frenchman Gnapka is poised to quit Peterborough, who are managed by Aberdeen-born Darren Ferguson, after failing to agree terms on a new contract.

Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony slammed Gnapka for “setting unreasonable demandsâ€.

“He was offered a great new contract this year and has messed us around ever since,†he added.

Newspaper reports claim the Dons and Luton have shown an interest in the 24-year-old.

Stockdale is one of nine Tranmere players waiting to hear if their contracts are to be renewed.

Stockdale wants to stay on Merseyside but could be forced to move on if Tranmere can’t come up with a decent offer.

Dons boss Calderwood is refusing to confirm or deny links with any players until deals have been done.

“We have a list of targets and we are working on that at the moment,†he said.

“I’m hoping at least a couple of deals can be done before the end of the season.

“I will say nothing more at this stage.â€

“I haven’t been able to get hold of Gareth yet,†said Calderwood.

The most important bit of the article i would think.  Jimmy said this 3 weeks ago aswell but yet still hasn't phoned him.

But looking at it from Southgate's point of view what good will it do Boro for him to come up here afte seeing Walker play just 5 times in over 2 months with 28, 22, 11, 9 and 22 minutes on the park out of 12 games when totally fit and with us having lots of injury problems?  Southgate will surely take the view that he would be better off either at Boro training with better players and playing reserve football for them against better players instead of up here or would be better off at another club who will play him.

Wonder if this means he will start tomorrow with Severin in defense?

“I will say nothing more at this stage.â€

He's finally learned to shut his face about who MIGHT be at Aberdeen, not to mention how much money he has to play with.

This is getting to become quite an exciting summer of transfer rumours for us! The starting 11 come the beginning of August is going to be interesting. Will we recognise the new Aberdeen?

Guest ally s

He's finally learned to shut his face about who MIGHT be at Aberdeen, not to mention how much money he has to play with.

This is getting to become quite an exciting summer of transfer rumours for us! The starting 11 come the beginning of August is going to be interesting. Will we recognise the new Aberdeen?

Hopefully not. If Walker was to sign on a season long loan then hopefully that would give Seve a kick up the backside.  With McDonald, Seve, and Walker all vying for the 2 central midfield positions we'll at long last have some competition for places.

I see it's now changed from he wants his new signings completed before he goes on holiday to hopefully we can have a couple in before the end of the season. Oh dear i am getting worried at start of season a few more panic buys because the players we tried signed else where.

Also think Darren Young in paper saying he hasnt signed for us and why would we want him when we have signed Mcdonald think its more like a come and get me plee to JC.   

Am I the only one not really fussed over whether we keep Walker or not?

Apparently not. KGB and TF, you obviously don't see him as any better than what we've got or will be likely to get. His debut was a real eye-opener. Stepping right into an established team, as an 18 year old (as he was at the time) and takes EVERY free kick, and Captain Seve was happy to let him. He showed great hunger, a quality hugely absent from many of the estblaished team on the majority of occasions this year.

His appetite for the game was tremendous, but his first touch, and his passes inside, showed to me that this is a kid with great potential, and imagination, another quality that is sadly not part of the established midfield that we've been plugging away with week in week out, bearing no fruit. He was playing a different game to the rest of them that day, and was deservedly MOTM.

So he keeps his place. And he delights against Bayern, particularly in the first half, but for some reason, known to him and the fat orange one, and probably to Captain Marvel, he gets hooked before half an hour at Rugby Park and never gets a start again?

In the handful of games he started for AFC, he showed fantastic potential, and with the right encouragement and management, would surely prove to be a very good player, and worthy of a regular start, if not first pick on the teamsheet, for AFC. I wasn't at the 1-5 but I doubt whether an 18 year old could be held responsible for that result, but he's already played well enough, and shown sufficient class for me to be a very welcome addition to next year's campaign.

Do you guys see particular weaknesses in his game that results in your apathy? You could well be right. Football is a game of opinions after all, but I would be interested to learn what aspects about him you think mean he would be no great loss.

Apparently not. KGB and TF, you obviously don't see him as any better than what we've got or will be likely to get. His debut was a real eye-opener. Stepping right into an established team, as an 18 year old (as he was at the time) and takes EVERY free kick, and Captain Seve was happy to let him. He showed great hunger, a quality hugely absent from many of the estblaished team on the majority of occasions this year.

His appetite for the game was tremendous, but his first touch, and his passes inside, showed to me that this is a kid with great potential, and imagination, another quality that is sadly not part of the established midfield that we've been plugging away with week in week out, bearing no fruit. He was playing a different game to the rest of them that day, and was deservedly MOTM.

So he keeps his place. And he delights against Bayern, particularly in the first half, but for some reason, known to him and the fat orange one, and probably to Captain Marvel, he gets hooked before half an hour at Rugby Park and never gets a start again?

In the handful of games he started for AFC, he showed fantastic potential, and with the right encouragement and management, would surely prove to be a very good player, and worthy of a regular start, if not first pick on the teamsheet, for AFC. I wasn't at the 1-5 but I doubt whether an 18 year old could be held responsible for that result, but he's already played well enough, and shown sufficient class for me to be a very welcome addition to next year's campaign.

Do you guys see particular weaknesses in his game that results in your apathy? You could well be right. Football is a game of opinions after all, but I would be interested to learn what aspects about him you think mean he would be no great loss.

Quality post.

When I have seen him he's drifted out of games, a thing that you can forgive of a teenager and yes, I can see precisely the potential the boy clearly has, and I know he is very very highly thought of at his parent club.

That said, we should have players who are already established in the team to do all this instead of a comparatively unknown teenager coming in and being the "mainstay" of the team, who, due to his age and inexperience, can disappear from games.

All that said, he isn't the kind of midfielder we currently need. We need the kind of player Scott Severin used to be, a guy with a bit of physical presence and both a calming and inspiring influence.

I'd like to keep him but under no circumstances expect him to be a mainstay/regular in the team. Aside from the Munich game and his debut, I've found him somewhat hit or miss. That doesn't necessarily make him any different from any of the others in red, if anything, his age makes that more likely and more excusable. But as I said, we need something altogether different in the middle.

So no, I am not fussed over whether he stays or not, he has a contribution to make but he is by no means any kind of answer to our midfield problems. We are losing a far better player in Nicholson, that's something I am far more worried about replacing. 

I agree totally with you that we need much more than a kid with excellent potential in the middle. You weren't the only one about Walker but I may be the only one with this opinion - "Am I the only one who doesn't give a fuck about seeing the back of Nicholson"?

It's a measure of the degree of mediocrity that we've become that many think Barry Nicholson is a quality player. I predict that he will not succeed at the English Championship level, assuming anyone is stupid enough to sign him and pay him £6-8k a week.

He wasn't quality when he came to us, and over the whole period at AFC, has not shown that he is capable of playing in a side that could compete to actually win anything. He's so over-rated, it just shows how piss poor we have become. I would agree that he's been the most consistent midfielder we've had over the last year and a half, but lets face it, how bad have the rest been. He's never put his foot on the ball and dominated proceedings, he's never inspired others to raise their standards, and as part of the JC mob, is a part of the mediocrity problem, not part of the potential solution. The occasional goal and occasional burst of enthusiasm and energy does not make a good player.

My main reason for liking Nicholson is my resignation (for a long time) that he will never be an accomplished centre mid. Him and Seve, even at their respective bests were no kind of centre partnership.

Nicholson for me anyway, is far far better wide right. But yeah, no great player by any means but a good one and one we will miss from the position he's best in.

I don't know if he'll make it down south, I hope he does but like you, I have my doubts. Who was the last player to go on to great things after AFC? Windass? Hignett? Anderson was the best AFC player probably of his generation and even he has not really had any real impact, in fact ending up at the same club as Chris Clark, a decent player, no more than that.

Nicholson leaving is part of a general lowering of the standard, I doubt if the replacement will be as good but time will tell.

I'm not that arsed about Nicholson leaving either. My main concern is whether we can get as good a player to replace him. If we bring in someone who can fill that slightly dirty midfield role and dominate games, hold up play and allow others to bring progressive, forward thinking play to the team then we will be asking 'Barry who ?' 5 games in to next season. If we put Stuart Duff in there then we will all be posting threads about how Nicholson is getting on at Luton. Its all relative.

I'm not that arsed about Nicholson leaving either. My main concern is whether we can get as good a player to replace him. If we bring in someone who can fill that slightly dirty midfield role and dominate games, hold up play and allow others to bring progressive, forward thinking play to the team then we will be asking 'Barry who ?' 5 games in to next season. If we put Stuart Duff in there then we will all be posting threads about how Nicholson is getting on at Luton. Its all relative.

Wow. Didn't realise BN had got fixed up already. Luton eh? Jesus, our best midfielder can't get better rated than Luton. Hard times indeed.

I'd rather that we gave one of our own 18 year olds a chance to see if he can cut it. I refuse to believe that none of them deserve a run out.

Our youngsters seem to be there to fulfil an obligation and just to make sure we don't default fixtures. It hardly seems worth it.

I even remember Ferguson giving young lads a chance, Wright, Porteous, etc and that was when we had a good side. Surely it should be a sink or swim oppurtunity.

I suppose the wee shites would probably all drown.

I'd rather that we gave one of our own 18 year olds a chance to see if he can cut it. I refuse to believe that none of them deserve a run out.

Our youngsters seem to be there to fulfil an obligation and just to make sure we don't default fixtures. It hardly seems worth it.

I even remember Ferguson giving young lads a chance, Wright, Porteous, etc and that was when we had a good side. Surely it should be a sink or swim oppurtunity.

He also gave a 16 year old Neale Cooper a game, at Anfield! John Hewitt was also given a berth at 17. Can't remember if either of them cut the ice...

Not going to happen when our best prospect in this position at under 19's was released for "being too immature" and is now unfortunately in talks with two of our rival clubs.

I don't think we can use the Coopers and Hewitts as good examples of blooding youngsters relating to the team today. They had the strength and experience of Miller, Mcleish, Bobby Clark, Joey Harper, Bill Scanlon, Stewart Kennedy, Drew Jarvie, John McMaster etc - experienced pros who were GOOD players who took the pressure off the young lads. The problem today is that we have no good experienced players to take the pressure off - we throw in the youngsters and expect them to produce since they have shit around them.

If we stuck a 19 yr old Eric Black or John Hewitt up front today I'd half expect they'd be booed off the park for being pish - the expectation, pressure, and lack of service and quality around them wouldn't help and it would be too difficult.