Skip to content

Cricket

I know I'm going to get the piss taken out of me for this, but are there any cricket fans on here? I've been a fan pretty much since I moved to Oz. I've been down to Brisbane a couple of times to see the Big Bash T20, and Australia played South Africa here in a one-day match a few months ago. Took the wife along to that, and surprisingly, she enjoyed it. The Australian test side is playing Bangladesh in town next weekend, and she's up for going along for a day. I'll have to make sure we take a phone charger, as I'm sure she'll be on her phone a lot...

Featured Replies

Cricket?

Not a huge fan of the limited overs game and don’t really have the time anymore for Test Cricket, so I’ve fallen away from it.

@StandfeeFM is your boy for cricket. He’s a walking Wisden

Used to enjoy the strategy and stoicism of test matches, but stupid pitch set ups and big bash slogfests have all but ruined test cricket

Watching the convicts beat England in the ashes was always a highlight as like the football team the entitlement was off the scale

To be fair lately some of the pundits have shown more humility and the Aussies aren’t as strong as they were

Can maybe see an appeal to the younger audience for razzmatazz and fireworks, but just another copying of American nonsense where the actual thing you are going to see is secondary to “the show”

Test cricket is the ultimate version of the athletic chess that is a fine sport. It is an ambition to get to a Test before I snuff it.

County cricket - two innings each - over four days, is a fine spectacle, but too many of the top players rarely get a knock or an over because of the Test contract thingmer.

Twenty Twenty and The Hundred (or Sixteen Point Six Seven Sixteen Point Six Seven as it’s disparagingly-known by fellow disparagits) is just rounders, so just fucking stop it.

Limited overs stuff is fine in first class one-day trophy cricket, and when on holiday, I always take in the local village cricket where available. Ageing spin bowlers, batsmen like Desperate Dan, someone from the crowd asked to fill in fielding at deep third man (ie unlikely to be called into action), a beer tent or ‘refreshment stall’, athletes with the dietary awareness of Billy Bunter scoffing pies, sassidge rolls, and fancy pieces at the tea interval, and the inevitable six hit to cow corner where the windscreen of a Fiat or Skoda belonging to the fielding team’s wicket-keeper is shattered by a spectacular miscue from a number nine batsman.

What’s not to love?

7 hours ago, blinlemon said:

Test cricket is the ultimate version of the athletic chess that is a fine sport. It is an ambition to get to a Test before I snuff it.

County cricket - two innings each - over four days, is a fine spectacle, but too many of the top players rarely get a knock or an over because of the Test contract thingmer.

Twenty Twenty and The Hundred (or Sixteen Point Six Seven Sixteen Point Six Seven as it’s disparagingly-known by fellow disparagits) is just rounders, so just fucking stop it.

Limited overs stuff is fine in first class one-day trophy cricket, and when on holiday, I always take in the local village cricket where available. Ageing spin bowlers, batsmen like Desperate Dan, someone from the crowd asked to fill in fielding at deep third man (ie unlikely to be called into action), a beer tent or ‘refreshment stall’, athletes with the dietary awareness of Billy Bunter scoffing pies, sassidge rolls, and fancy pieces at the tea interval, and the inevitable six hit to cow corner where the windscreen of a Fiat or Skoda belonging to the fielding team’s wicket-keeper is shattered by a spectacular miscue from a number nine batsman.

What’s not to love?

Don't get a ticket to day 3 if the Poms are playing!

Love test cricket but it really has been ruined by the short attention spanning format. Black caps have been a good watch while I’ve been here, think the last test I saw prior was at lords and the final premier league game of the season, NZ got cleared out on the third day in record time so they opened up the nursery pavilion and put the football on the big screen. Think I got on the tube the wrong way after that, was some session. Quite sure NZ have bettered that now 😂

Still, a great day out with beers . Basin reserve here is a fine cricket ground. Actually a roundabout but you wouldn’t really know it.

On 16/08/2026 at 00:50, scotfree said:

Not a bad place to watch the cricket.

187.jpg

The Wanderers in Jo'burg is a great place to watch cricket. The only downside is when you leave you are walking out into Jo'burg.

Pre-book your Uber and dinnae walk home!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.