Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

http://www.gothenburg-greats.com/

http://www.gothenburg-greats.com/

Welcome to gothenburg greats

The Gothenburg Greats, without doubt Aberdeen Football Clubs greatest ever team, celebrate their triumph of 25 years ago when, on a soaking wet night in Gothenburg, they caused one of the greatest ever shocks in football by beating the mighty Real Madrid 2-1 in the final of the European Cup Winners Cup. Goals from Eric Black and John Hewitt ensured hero status which still exists some quarter of a century later.

The launch of their own web site will be much appreciated by fans the World over and will assist keep them abreast of what is happening regarding a series of special events planned for 2008. The new home of information on how you can be there with the "Greats" and how you can be part of the "final fling" from 17 very special players as these will be the last series of events to commemorate that special evening on 11 May 1983.

Listing of all the events coming up for the anniversary. Never knew about the golf day out, my company do some consulting for the Cameron house Golf Course, may have to plan to head across that day to see all the legends.

First United showgame tickets to be won in prize draw

By Paul Smith

Published: 01/05/2008

More Pictures

The first tickets for Aberdeen’s match against Manchester United will be distributed to 50 lucky Dons’ supporters next weekend.

A date for the general release of seats for the July 12 showdown with Sir Alex Ferguson’s Champions League finalists has yet to be announced.

Before supporters join the queue to book their place in the Pittodrie stands, a select band will be given free passes to the match. A batch of 25 pairs of tickets for the United game will be the prize at a free draw during the May 11 re-run of Aberdeen’s triumph against Real Madrid in the 1983 European Cup-Winners’ Cup final.

The screening of the Gothenburg match will be held at the Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre as part of a series of testimonial events to mark the 25th anniversary of the famous win.

Next weekend the programme kicks off with some AECC events.

On May 9 a gala dinner will set the ball rolling. Only 20 of the 700 seats remain available, either in tables of 10 at £1,150 or as individual tickets.

The following night a supporters’ dinner will take place, with some tickets available at £50 per person. On May 11, the 25th anniversary of the 2-1 win against Real, the match will be shown on a big screen to a potential audience of 1,300 supporters.

Harvey Smith, who is managing the programme of events on behalf of the testimonial committee, said: “We always expected a fantastic response from Aber-deen supporters and that has been the case, particularly to the gala dinner on the Friday night.

“It would be great to fill the last few seats for that event. We have already hit our target of 500 for the Saturday dinner but there is room for more and it is the same for the May 11 event.â€

“We hope the fact 25 pairs of tickets for the Manchester United game will be given away on the night will create a buzz too.â€

Details of the full programme and ticket sales are available online at www. gothenburg-greats.com, by calling 01224 443878 or by e-mail at info@h-events. co.uk.

Might be home that weekend: This sounds pretty good:

Aberdeen 2 Real Madrid 1

Re-Live the Game

Limited Places Available

Sunday 11th May 2008

It really did happen!! And you can be in the company of the fabulous Gothenburg Greats as we Re-Live the Game 25 years to the day. Join the team at the AECC on Sunday 11th May 2008.

2000 Dons fans welcome members of the team into the arena

Re-Live the game all over again. At key points the game will be stopped as we ask the "Greats" for their thoughts at vital moments during the match

Limited edition "Road to Gothenburg" prints and double DVD, both especially commissioned for the 25 year celebrations on sale

A real family night priced only £10 (including VAT) per person

You can't afford not to be there - the very final chance to pay tribute to Aberdeen's greatest ever team.

Mmm so they can do a double DVD on Gothenburg which has already got a few DVDs and videos about it but cant rake together a DVD for this seasons UEFA cup run?

Probably missed the boat on that one now, the buzz has died down and we're back to the monotonous grind of the SPL.

Mmm so they can do a double DVD on Gothenburg which has already got a few DVDs and videos about it but cant rake together a DVD for this seasons UEFA cup run?

Probably missed the boat on that one now, the buzz has died down and we're back to the monotonous grind of the SPL.

It would have been insulting to sell us a DVD on this season's UEFA cup run. We got tanked heavily more than once, won one game - totally out of nowhere and totally unexpectedly - and drew the rest, playing a standard of football that was not memorable.

Do not confuse the enjoyment of the away trips with the quality of the football. During a campaign that ended with a predictable thrashing, we didn't do nearly enough to merit commemoration.

I thought we played really well against Bayern, at home anyway, away we were pish. I think more than anything, I'd like to remember how we did, cos I was usually quite tanked.

The home game was amazing. I hugged the al mannie to my left at Walker's goal whilst thinking the clock had been turned back 25 years.

It would have been insulting to sell us a DVD on this season's UEFA cup run. We got tanked heavily more than once, won one game - totally out of nowhere and totally unexpectedly - and drew the rest, playing a standard of football that was not memorable.

The home game was amazing. I hugged the al mannie to my left at Walker's goal whilst thinking the clock had been turned back 25 years.

So did we play well twice then? ;) I'm only messing, but I totally agree, we usually got horsed, but in the end we held our own. It would be completely wrong to compare this to what the Gothenburg greats did, but I guess it just shows how starved of European football the fans really are at the club.

I thought we played really well against Bayern, at home anyway, away we were pish. I think more than anything, I'd like to remember how we did, cos I was usually quite tanked.

Have virtually zero recollection of Bayern away and have never seen any comprehensive highlights.

A DVD of our UEFA campaign would be most welcome - maybe not if the Huns go on to win the tournament though.

Have virtually zero recollection of Bayern away and have never seen any comprehensive highlights.

A club of which I am a member dude. I canny remember getting to the stadium but remember being very pleased to meet Glasgowdon and Blake and Brad wi a bottle of Jagermeister outside. I was badly fucked up. Jack and coke for breakfast will do that to you. It's bad. 

A club of which I am a member dude. I canny remember getting to the stadium but remember being very pleased to meet Glasgowdon and Blake and Brad wi a bottle of Jagermeister outside. I was badly fucked up. Jack and coke for breakfast will do that to you. It's bad. 

I do have some recollection, it's mainly of being in a taxi and bursting for a pish though.

First thing I did when we arived at the Allianz was hunt down the bogs.

I am not a member of that 5-1 club. I was a member of the 0-0 club 25 years earlier, but the interesting thin is that 5,000 of you went, and only 1,500 of us were there at the Olympic Stadion. OK, you got more goals than us, predictably, but the amount of you that went really made me chuffed.

I reckon if we even got half decent as a club, with even a fraction of the requisite ambition in the boardroom that the fans seem to still have, then how good could we be?

Anticipating the incredible negativity that pervades this country's pysche, in some areas more than others, the same negativity that also creeps its way onto internet chat forums, duh, cheap air travel does assist the numbers. But instead of dwelling on reasons to negate, think about the positives.

I think there's a latent big base of support waiting to get behind the team. Our dwindling attendances therefore don't concern me as much as they might. We can turn this AFC plc around. Well, WE can't. But we can...