Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons release 6 youngsters

Dons release six youngsters

Published: 22/04/2008

ABERDEEN have continued their rebuilding plans by releasing six youth players, writes Andrew Moir.

Neil McVitie, on loan at Peterhead, heads up the list of players who have been told they came leave Pittodrie in the summer.

Defender McVitie had been expected to be the next youngster to make the push for first team honours at the Dons.

Blue Toon boss Neale Cooper could now look to secure McVitie on a permanent deal.

Defender Martin Skinner will also be leaving the Reds in the close season.

He’ll be joined by David Ross, also on loan at Peterhead, who only re-signed for the Dons last summer.

Ross was previously part of the youth set-up, but joined Inverurie Locos after being released by the Dons.

Teens Jordan Halsman and Greig Lamberty have also been told they can go along with defender Ryan Strachan.

Surprised by David Ross seeing as we let him go once before, only to re-sign him again.

I thought McVitie was the great white hope? And what the hell is the Script with David Ross? What was the point in bringing him back? Shambolic stuff.

Whats more shambolic is that these will be replaced in the squad by Jon Smithalikes who won't get near the first team anyway, and when thats questioned we'll get "well we've got to have so many U21's in the squad".

Although I assume Paton and Stuart Smith are staying and may get a sniff of the first team next season.

I'd be very interested to see what our turn-around of staff is each season in comparison to other SPL outfits.

There seems to be a revolving door down at Pittodrie which begs the question; why bother taking them in if they're not good enough?

Every club ships oot a heap of players every season, it's just that ye dinnae here aboot it min.

Guest bloo_toon_red

I'd be very interested to see what our turn-around of staff is each season in comparison to other SPL outfits.

It really isn't that bad.  Aberdeen FC have (or certainly used to have) a pretty selective policy when it comes to signing young guys - used to take on something like 16 S-form signings each year, whereas by comparison Dundee used to sign something like 100!  I played with a couple of guys who went to Dundee at 15 and unsurprinsingly they never made it.  Both of whom were indeed better players than Lee Mair, who surprisingly slipped through the net there...

It really isn't that bad.  Aberdeen FC have (or certainly used to have) a pretty selective policy when it comes to signing young guys - used to take on something like 16 S-form signings each year, whereas by comparison Dundee used to sign something like 100!  I played with a couple of guys who went to Dundee at 15 and unsurprinsingly they never made it.  Both of whom were indeed better players than Lee Mair, who surprisingly slipped through the net there...

My main concern isn't the amount coming in and out, it's the lack of quality that's coming through.

The revolving door comment also stands for the first team.

Were signing the likes of Mair, Duff and co. any better than throwing a youngster into the fray?

Guest bloo_toon_red

Were signing the likes of Mair, Duff and co. any better than throwing a youngster into the fray?

No.  Not at all.

I'm surprised at us letting Ryan Strachan go.  He's involved in the Scotland set-up isn't he?

No.  Not at all.

I'm surprised at us letting Ryan Strachan go.  He's involved in the Scotland set-up isn't he?

Same thing last season with Bagshaw, scoring goals for fun with Scotland U19's, release him, sign Jon Smith to make up the U21 numbers instead??

And how many times did Jon Smith play in the first team?

I dinnae see yer point, yer alludin tae the fact that we let Bagshaw even though he wiz scorin in the reserves/19's.  Diznae matter, he obviously wiznae good enough or wiznae mentally ready

So why sign someone else who equally isn't ready/not good enough, just to make up the U21 numbers surely better to take the chance with one of our own than with an unknown quantity deemed not good enough for another side.

I dinnae ken, I'm nae Jimmy Calderwood  :-\.

I said as soon as those loons went off to peterhead that their afc careers were over. Every year JC does the same thing. Folk presume it is to give them first team appearance but come May (or April this year) they are punted anyway.

Never seen any of them play but heard good things about McVitie and Strachan so a bit surprised that they have been let go.  Mind you I'm a bit surprised most seasons about the kids that are released yet you never hear anything about them again.  Presumably this is because they aren't very good and not because afc has fucked their careers.

Finally it was pointed out on afc mad that the only kids JC has given a debut to and promoted from within are Kyle McAuley and Chris Maguire.  So either our youth system is a fucking shambles or JC has no interest in giving the kids a chance and developing a "conveyor belt" of talent a la Hibs.

Or both I suppose.

Was McAuley not a debut under Paterson, along with Considine (youngest ever player or some such nonsense)?

Which would make Maguire the only kid that Jimmy's pushed through.

quite possibly

never checked

But then we have had numerous u21s from other clubs that he has been more than happy to promote ahead of our own kids, so maybe he isn't against youth players, just aberdeen youth players

quite possibly

never checked

But then we have had numerous u21s from other clubs that he has been more than happy to promote ahead of our own kids, so maybe he isn't against youth players, just aberdeen youth players

You could well be right there. Think McAuley's playing for Dumbarton (or someone down that way) whilst studying for a degree. He's obviously one of those "funny types" (like Lovell), and not a gallus young chap like that great white hope Maguire.

Kyle Macaulay (born 13 May 1986 in Aberdeen) is a professional footballer who currently plays for Alloa in the Scottish Second Division.

Born in Elgin, he started his career at Derby County but after two years at Pride Park, he was released. He is the nephew of former Aberdeen manager Steve Paterson and was signed for the Dons by his uncle. He made his debut on 4 February 2006 against Heart of Midlothian at Tynecastle.

In November 2006 he was loaned out Peterhead before signing a permanent deal on 31st of January 2007.

After leaving Peterhead in the summer of 2007 Macaulay was out of football for a few months until signing for Alloa Athletic after a successful trial period. He scored his first goal for Alloa in February 2008 in a game against his former club Peterhead.

You could well be right there. Think McAuley's playing for Dumbarton (or someone down that way) whilst studying for a degree. He's obviously one of those "funny types" (like Lovell), and not a gallus young chap like that great white hope Maguire.

He is playing for Alloa