Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Chris Crighton in the P&J: Time for Calderwood to deliver

serious recruitment drive needed to woo back fans

IF A tree falls in the wood, and there is nobody there to hear it, does it make a sound?

This is the question with which Aberdeen must wrestle as they attempt to rebuild the bond with their supporters in front of crowds that would shame a PTA coffee morning.

The Red Army now knows how Jim Leighton felt on the Dons’ last trip to Hampden. The Queen of the South debacle was a real kick in the teeth. Leighton, of course, was never to return and there are hundreds, if not thousands for whom the Scottish Cup semi-final will have the same effect, for this season at least. The tiny deputation which headed to Celtic Park for the first of five meaningless games was a portentous glimpse of things to come.

In the four seasons of Jimmy Calderwood’s reign, the standard of entertainment has rarely been high, which is why attendances have been falling while the club’s stock has risen.

The core support has excused the boredom because the results were good but that can no longer be said in a season which has produced only two league wins against teams in the top six and self-destruction in both cups.

Scraping out of the bottom half will earn them one further shot at keeping the fan base which was augmented by the Uefa cup run. Once the devastation has subsided and pre-season begins, the diehards who, for emotional and financial reasons be sitting out the next four weeks, will be back for more, and Calderwood must now be in no doubt that he must deliver and that his work starts here with a serious recruitment drive.

What must now be a radical overhaul – forgive anyone who doesn't share Jimmy's avowed excitement at the scale of the turnover and who would rather he signed decent players in the first place – may only have been minor refinements had he been bold enough to start the squad building process in January.

I agree with more or less everything what he says

in front of crowds that would shame a PTA coffee morning.

Dundee Utd v Hibs yesterday attracted 7,404, for a game between two teams in with a shout of 3rd place.  If that was a crowd for a game involving us, we would be dragged over the coals by the press.

Dundee Utd v Hibs yesterday attracted 7,404, for a game between two teams in with a shout of 3rd place.  If that was a crowd for a game involving us, we would be dragged over the coals by the press.

Thats truly pathetic!

Re: the article. Completely agree with it. I have sent yet another email to the club with regards to this. Yet to hear a reply from them. I told them to read his article in the P&J to see how the fans are feeling. I really hope I get a reply this time. It only seems to happen though when I am praising the club.  >:D

Thats truly pathetic!

Re: the article. Completely agree with it. I have sent yet another email to the club with regards to this. Yet to hear a reply from them. I told them to read his article in the P&J to see how the fans are feeling. I really hope I get a reply this time. It only seems to happen though when I am praising the club.  >:D

Who did you send it to? Just the feedback address?

Thats truly pathetic!

Last sentence sums up good ship AFC at present.

Only interesting in hearing when they are doing well, and not interested if someone doesn't follow the party line.

No one involved in running AFC should be above constructive criticism

Funnily enough, I sent my first email on sunday night (last week) and heard nothing, sent another email this morning expressing my disappointment that they hadn't had the decency to reply, and received a reply within minutes from the reception saying it had been forwarded to the relevant department? I thought the feedback address would have been fine. Now the waiting game once again.

The fans rep on the board is Chris Gavin.  Now that's somebody we never hear anything from.

Oops wrong person. Knew the guys name began with Chris. Oh well knew that it was to much to hope for that this guy was actually putting his head above the parpapit

I don't agree with the "5 meaningless games" part... until it's mathematically impossible to make Europe.

And at what point does a game become meaningless - league positions are all worth money.  Did all games become meaningless as soon as we went 8 points behind motherwell?

I remember when we caught up 16 points on hibs a few years ago so it's not over till it's over.

Take back ma comment aboot folk wi minus ratings

Oops wrong person. Knew the guys name began with Chris. Oh well knew that it was to much to hope for that this guy was actually putting his head above the parpapit

chris crighton's pen name is Pissed of Merkie, from The Red Final fame. He's the one that rights 10,000 word essays in 2pt print on the lack of taches in football these days :thumbsup:

I don't agree with the "5 meaningless games" part... until it's mathematically impossible to make Europe.

And at what point does a game become meaningless - league positions are all worth money.  Did all games become meaningless as soon as we went 8 points behind motherwell?

I remember when we caught up 16 points on hibs a few years ago so it's not over till it's over.

Not quite true - I remember that season and I think I am correct here - we were 7pts clear of Hibs on Christmas Day and going great guns. Then Seve got injured. Boxing day (maybe 27th) we drew 0-0 with ITC at todders in front of a huge expectant crowd  who were witness to one of the worst games ever (...and the last game I attended until 1-1 v Gretna on Boxing day 2007). Then we went on our annual new year slump and within about a month we were 7pts behind Hibs. Then Seve came back in and we got our act together, went on a decent run but failed on the last day to take 3rd on goal difference.

So three things are clear:

1. We have a problem with our form after new year almost every season.

2. Seve was a very important player for us at one time.

3. I'm a fucking jinx.