Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Just been reading that the OF are removing the sponsors logo from their kids replica shirts, as part of the responsible drinking drive that appears to be in vogue at the moment.

This brought me to thinking of my old umbro kit from the late eighties when we were sponsored by JVC, which also did not bear the sponsor's logo on the replica kits. As far as I'm aware, this was the case on all kits, not just the kids ones, so clearly not a previous push to get kids away from electrical goods.

This has probably been explained before, but can someone tell me why this happened?

We were one of the last teams in the scottish prem to get a shirt sponsor.

It was possible though to iron on your own JVC sticker.

Yeah, I do recall seeing some with a logo on, and guessed it was a DIY job.

Tippex was another option for getting it on there too.

Guest Caroline B

dunno but is that relevant?

Probably not as far as us Dons fans are concerned. It was just that you said that we were one of the last teams to have a shirt sponsor and I randomly threw the Hibs thing in as I recalled something from a telly programme that said so. I think the sponsor was Bukta and they had to wear black tape over the logo when they were on the telly. More randomness.

I'd love it if we didn't have brand logos all over the club shirts. Yes, the Apex ones have been quite tastefully designed. But I think they are the exception to the rule. All the other ones we've had over the years have been horrendous ... especially those HUGE Atlantic Telecom blobs in the late 90s. I think the shirts look a hell of a lot better without the sponsorship logos

Guest swaddon

Just been reading that the OF are removing the sponsors logo from their kids replica shirts, as part of the responsible drinking drive that appears to be in vogue at the moment.

This brought me to thinking of my old umbro kit from the late eighties when we were sponsored by JVC, which also did not bear the sponsor's logo on the replica kits. As far as I'm aware, this was the case on all kits, not just the kids ones, so clearly not a previous push to get kids away from electrical goods.

This has probably been explained before, but can someone tell me why this happened?

I do remember it, but I don't know why we couldn't have the JVC logo on our shirts. I think it was because JVC didn't allow it or something. That was probably the best Aberdeen strip in my opinion.