Author Topic: Tommie Hoban  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 33
Tommie Hoban
« on: September 26, 2018, 09:23:58 AM »
Out till January at the earliest.

Was supposed to have shoulder surgery a fortnight ago but was allowed to postpone it until his heavily pregnant partner had the baby which she did last Thursday. Hadn't had the op as of yesterday but having it "this week" and will be staying down south to be monitored by Watford during his recovery.

The injury occurred after he scored against Hibs. I'm presuming this means in the after goal celebrations when the goalscorer gets swarmed/jumped on by the other players.....I don't think tapping home from a yard out would damage anyones shoulder. I'm surprised managers allow this to go on tbh.....only surprised more injuries don't occur during goal celebrations. It's a needless risk.

Offline A llad insane

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 10
Re: Tommie Hoban
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 07:39:47 PM »
Pity, would like to have seen more of him. Looked pretty decent early doors. :frown:

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 17
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 04:27:53 PM »
Confirmed that he injured his cruciate against St Mirren on Saturday and will be out until the end of the season.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2019/02/19/tommie-hoban-injury-update/

Shame as he looked a really good player but just made of glass.

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -53
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 04:35:43 PM »
I bloody hope we are paying him on a pay per play basis.

Nobody near him when his knee went.

Career finished I would say.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 04:44:54 PM »
I doubt he's on pay per play but player insurance will kick in and cover payments after a certain amount of time out.

Sadly I concur that this will probably be a career ender
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 07:50:34 PM by Ten Caat »

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 78
  • Not a Jafa
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 07:23:40 PM »
You'd hope so DD.

Massive shame for the guy, seemed very talented in the glimpses we saw of him.

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 18
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 08:02:01 PM »
That's a shame. I couldn't make the game on Saturday, but saw the clip when he went down injured, you could see the poor loon was in pain, never good to see.

Fingers crossed he can come back and kick on with his career, sadly though it won't be with us.

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
  • Rating: 204
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 12:23:02 PM »
Definitely a player in there and loved his attitude, but can we really afford to take a chance on a player who has now done both knees. Shame really, but guess if he stayed fit he'd have been nowhere near us in the first place.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4052196/tommie-hoban-aberdeen-watford-transfer-news-derek-mcinnes-pittodrie/
Steve warm his seat up

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 17
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 01:19:49 PM »
Definitely a player in there and loved his attitude, but can we really afford to take a chance on a player who has now done both knees. Shame really, but guess if he stayed fit he'd have been nowhere near us in the first place.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4052196/tommie-hoban-aberdeen-watford-transfer-news-derek-mcinnes-pittodrie/

Given our small squad size we simply could not risk a player with his history of injuries. Shame as you say he is a good player when he is fit.

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 118
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 02:21:04 PM »
Ability-wise - yes. Injury-wise - no.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 75
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 03:02:07 PM »
Aren't these the risks we have to take in our position in the world of fitba? It's no different to taking a punt on an unknown from the English leagues for me. Ultimately, we've had more use out of Hoban than we have from Gleeson, Forrester and Wilson combined despite neither of those having injury issues. In other words, you can take a punt on a guy that you know to be a good fitba'r that could miss games through injury or you could take a punt on a guy that you think might be a better player than those you've got but should remain injury free. Hoban would be an improvement on what we've got (at right centre half) in my opinion so we could

I quite like it if I'm honest, it makes things a bit more interesting. It would be shite if all our signings were ace. Part of what makes fitba exciting is that opportunity to make mistakes. We're probably one or two signings in budget ahead of Hibs and Hearts at the moment so to have that pressure on yer recruitment is the way fitba should be.

Offline ayrshire_don74

• Star Striker
  • Rating: -135
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 03:20:16 PM »
a minimal basic with enhanced pay per play deal.... he has an horrendous injury records, whether thats bad luck or something physical/bio mechanical who knows.
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 75
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »
a minimal basic with enhanced pay per play deal....

I'd hope that's what we give all our players to be honest. To me there's little difference between an injured player and a charlatan like Nicky Maynard who spends his entire time on a bench.

he has an horrendous injury records, whether thats bad luck or something physical/bio mechanical who knows.

Yep, it could just be bad luck or injuries that are unrelated. We'd have regretted not getting Anderson back despite his previous injuries for example. Sometimes a player just goes through a spell of incidents. We could get a couple of years out of him injury free if there's no underlying issue. Similarly, we could sign someone without injury problems who tears a cruciate the next week. Basically, if the medical staff thinks there's no reason to be concerned then get him on board.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 04:56:05 PM »
With both his knees having had cruciate repairs I cant envisage there will be a queue of clubs lining up to sign him once he is considered fit to play again ( with his contract at Watford being up in summer, I'd hope they continue to allow him to use their training/rehab facilities beyond this and not just cast him adrift). Of course there is a fair chance that he might never be considered fit to play football again, or certainly to a professional level.

However assuming he does.....in the few games he played for us he looked a better option in central defence than Devlin. And Devlin was probably our best (certainly most consistent) player up till he got injured away with Scotland. Obviously we couldn't get anywhere near matching what he earns at Watford but his options are likely to be limited given his injury history. If he were happy to accept a (very) low basic wage but with (very good) bonus payments on a pay-as-you-play basis then I'd be happy to take a punt on him for a year, with an extension clause for a further year or 2 that triggers if he plays more than 30 games in the season.

However if he wanted a minimum 2 year deal on wages that we pay our highest earners.....well I'd consider that too much of a risk.

Offline A llad insane

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 10
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 08:05:44 PM »
The guy looks a class act when fit, bit of a gamble admittedly given his injury record.
   For what its worth , i think he is worth the gamble.  If there is any chance getting the likes of Hoban or Lowe on a permanent deal , we have to take it i.m.o. 
As someone else says, if a pay per play deal was possible that would surely be ideal.