Author Topic: Dons v St Js  (Read 1137 times)

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 76
Re: Dons v St Js
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2020, 02:55:21 PM »
just flung players under a bus including hernandez , stellar management

Hernandez was put into a game against a team way lower than us in his preferred position. He looked weak, panicked, of average ball playing ability and unfamiliar with the position. He showed absolutely nothing that would suggest an £800K player. Obviously, extremely early days, but from that value of signing we should be expecting something visible. He was definitely worse than Logan. Needs to work on his fitness and come back when ready, which I'm hoping won't be this weekend. He looked like Nwakali did on his debut. I certainly have expected Virtanen to come in and play as poorly as that. Looks like a very high risk signing. Looking forward to be being proven wrong.

Offline ayrshire_don74

• Star Striker
  • Rating: -138
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2020, 03:13:50 PM »
written off after one game and not playing for 2 months...
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 76
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2020, 04:08:25 PM »
written off after one game and not playing for 2 months...

Only if you can't understand the words: "Obviously, extremely early days" and "Needs to work on his fitness and come back when ready" and "Looking forward to being proven wrong".

I just don't think that McInnes threw him under a bus as you suggest. This should have been a fairly routine game for a guy of his suggested calibre. It isn't unreasonable for a manager to expect a player to come in against lower table opposition and in his preferred position and make a decent go of it (McGeough was given similar 60 minutes or so in his opening game). He's moving from Scandi fitba, so not a total shock to the system playing similar European fitba.

I like to make an early call on players, like I did with Forrester, Gleeson, Main, Tansey, Maynard, Wilson, Cosgrove and was proved correct, and May, McKenna and several others where I was wrong.

Where I see that I could be proven wrong with Hernandez is his ability to get up and down the line. I didn't think he did it nearly enough, and didn't beat his man once, but he did seem capable of doing it if perhaps he was a little fitter. Bearing in mind I'm not just judging him by his ability to be a first team dons player, but his ability to re-coup (and more) his £800K fee. He's got to be held to higher standards really.

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 19
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2020, 09:55:26 PM »
Only if you can't understand the words: "Obviously, extremely early days" and "Needs to work on his fitness and come back when ready" and "Looking forward to being proven wrong".

I just don't think that McInnes threw him under a bus as you suggest. This should have been a fairly routine game for a guy of his suggested calibre. It isn't unreasonable for a manager to expect a player to come in against lower table opposition and in his preferred position and make a decent go of it (McGeough was given similar 60 minutes or so in his opening game). He's moving from Scandi fitba, so not a total shock to the system playing similar European fitba.

I like to make an early call on players, like I did with Forrester, Gleeson, Main, Tansey, Maynard, Wilson, Cosgrove and was proved correct, and May, McKenna and several others where I was wrong.

Where I see that I could be proven wrong with Hernandez is his ability to get up and down the line. I didn't think he did it nearly enough, and didn't beat his man once, but he did seem capable of doing it if perhaps he was a little fitter. Bearing in mind I'm not just judging him by his ability to be a first team dons player, but his ability to re-coup (and more) his £800K fee. He's got to be held to higher standards really.

I hear where coming from regarding Hernandez, as  feel that is a very big fee for a club like us and it's not like we are flush with cash, regardless of how much our new owners are worth.

If we pay out fees like this then we really need to see a near instant impact or at least signs that they will improve us as a team.

Didn't see anything last night to suggest he was a future talent, but quite possibly he just didn't understand what was expected of him due to how we play. Doesn't help either the team are low on confidence and have a manager in the last phase of his career with us at the helm.

Be interesting to see if he starts on Saturday.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 06:48:58 AM by TheDeeDon »

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 25
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2020, 10:19:42 PM »
 I dont walk to talk the guy down because its encouraging that were prepared to take gambles like this. It did seem an unusual area of the pitch to spend that amount of money though,as opposed to a hot prospect in an more beneficial/urgent area of the pitch,ie attacking mid,and probably with more sellability in that dept?
   To be fair we were apparently trying to bid around £400k for that sort of player on deadline day but it fell through,so fair play to the ambition on that front.
     I wouldnt imagine the men with the money will be happy to see their investments regressing via the current state of football. Its frustrating because we should be entering a more optimistic era

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 10:31:16 PM by Elgindon »