Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

FC Bayern München v Aberdeen FC

As I have already said on another thread, I am unaccountably optimistic and looking forward to this game...

It's as if DU at Tynie never happened... or Cel'ic, or Hibs... erm...

I'm usually pretty rational, but tonight I say; fuck it! GIRFUT and we have a chance...

I'm ready for my injections now nurse...

:thumbsup:

Agree with Ajja. Don't think we played badly, if either of Mackie's opportunities had been goals then who knows if it would've been a different story. 5-1 reflects a little unfairly, but we know they are a much more experience team than us and I think we did ourselves proud (as proud as you can). 7-3 isn't bad on agg, and we scored more goals than Rangers did in last 32 yet they go through!

I really hope after tonight though that Jimmy gets over his issues with Lovell and starts him ahead of Mackie. Mackie is NOT the answer.

Agree with Ajja. Don't think we played badly, if either of Mackie's opportunities had been goals then who knows if it would've been a different story. 5-1 reflects a little unfairly, but we know they are a much more experience team than us and I think we did ourselves proud (as proud as you can). 7-3 isn't bad on agg, and we scored more goals than Rangers did in last 32 yet they go through!

I really hope after tonight though that Jimmy gets over his issues with Lovell and starts him ahead of Mackie. Mackie is NOT the answer.

Have to agree sneckie!  average of five goals a season is a poor return for one of our main strikers. Even the pace we keep hearing about is conspicuous by its absence.

???

He has scored 1 goal this season. For someone who is our 'main' striker (allegedly), regardless of injuries, that's terrible. Lovell, I imagine, has still played less time over the season purely cos Jimmy doesn't like him and yet managed to get a goal today 10 minutes after coming on. Just getting a bit infuriated with this petty striker thing that's going on. I don't care if Lovell is leaving and Mackie isn't, you have to play with our most effective striking partnership at all times.

Anyway, this isn't for the Bayern thread cos I don't want to take away from our great European run this season!

Lets hope JC is true to his word now and plays 4-4-2 for the rest of the season with Aluko supporting the front two and some front foot, balls out, attacking football. I think 3rd is beyond us now so the cup game is everything. Up an' at 'em Dons.

Anyway, this isn't for the Bayern thread cos I don't want to take away from our great European run this season!

I don't think any of us would have envisaged lasting so long, so well done to the squad for the positives they have achieved in Europe this season. Lets get behind them and hope we can get back to Europe next season,albeit through the more likely rout now of tjhe cup. COME ON YOU REDS!  :AFC::ultras:

5-1 reflects a little unfairly,

Have to disagree with that.... we were beaten tonight by a world class team who controlled the game from start to finish -  after they rattled the bar on 4min, it was ominous.

Lovell starting over mackie.... every time on the basis of the past few games.

Have to disagree with that.... we were beaten tonight by a world class team who controlled the game from start to finish -  after they rattled the bar on 4min, it was ominous.

Lovell starting over mackie.... every time on the basis of the past few games.

I'm not denying they are a far better team than us, just from the point of view of ignorant individuals. If you read some of the comments on the live text thing on BBC, very few (if any) really gave any credit to Aberdeen. Like the Huns in one of my classes yesterday going on about how we were 'going to get pumped', 'only won one game in Europe', etc. People will just look at the score and think 'oh look, Aberdeen getting horsed by another team, what's new'. My father is probably included in that statement!

I'm not denying they are a far better team than us, just from the point of view of ignorant individuals. If you read some of the comments on the live text thing on BBC, very few (if any) really gave any credit to Aberdeen. Like the Huns in one of my classes yesterday going on about how we were 'going to get pumped', 'only won one game in Europe', etc. People will just look at the score and think 'oh look, Aberdeen getting horsed by another team, what's new'. My father is probably included in that statement!

I think most of the regulars,home and away this season, new in our heads that we were going to get hammered tonight, but, that dosen't detract from the fact that the current squad, for all it's limitations has done better than anyone of us dared hope for. So lets be thankful for all they have achieved(so far) this season and hopefully we will progress from here!

I think most of the regulars,home and away this season, new in our heads that we were going to get hammered tonight, but, that dosen't detract from the fact that the current squad, for all it's limitations has done better than anyone of us dared hope for. So lets be thankful for all they have achieved(so far) this season and hopefully we will progress from here!

agree with that.

Sneckie:

BBC live text thing is pish.  The guy that does it is obviously an idiot.

Was just trying to point out that Bayern didn't really look like they got out of 1st gear......

Even their center backs had yards of pace against pretty much all of our players.

They were the better team.

Here's hoping that the team have learned from the experience & put killi to the sword on sunday.

agree with that.

Sneckie:

BBC live text thing is pish.  The guy that does it is obviously an idiot.

Was just trying to point out that Bayern didn't really look like they got out of 1st gear......

Even their center backs had yards of pace against pretty much all of our players.

They were the better team.

Here's hoping that the team have learned from the experience & put killi to the sword on sunday.

This is the frustrating thing. We all know we are more likely to see that other Aberdeen side on Sunday. You know the one full of players who won't get out of bed for anything less than top class European opposition.  >:D

This is the frustrating thing. We all know we are more likely to see that other Aberdeen side on Sunday. You know the one full of players who won't get out of bed for anything less than top class European opposition.  >:D

Totally: its very frustrating.. while we played relatively well against hibs, we still didn't take anything from the game.

We can only hope that the team turns up on sunday.  With a point to prove.

If we have any aspirations in the league, we need to start winning.

Thats what its down to with me - hoping the team turns up. Its probably not looking good. :-\

Thing is, as you say, if we turn up, we have the ablity to shit on them

The frustrating thing for me is I just wonder what we would have done with a goalkeeper in goals, but then I've wondered that all season.....

*puts tin hat on*

Tin hat on indeed......... ;D

Personally think langfield has done alright - with the exception of the disaster that was tinkcastle (cheers bwt... had just about erased that horror story from my mind :hammer:)

I reckon that there are areas of the team that need improving far more than the GK position. CM to play alongside seve for starters

*puts tin hat on*  ;D

Langfield is hot and cold for me. Its easy to say he is terrible with the blunders he makes but last night he flapped at their first two goals and also pulled off some great stops. This has been the case all season, its hard to know what you are going to get from him in 90 minutes let alone game to game. He is a microcosm of our team.

Would the real Langfield, and Aberdeen FC please turn up for the rest of the season  :thumbsup:

Langfield is hot and cold for me. Its easy to say he is terrible with the blunders he makes but last night he flapped at their first two goals and also pulled off some great stops. This has been the case all season, its hard to know what you are going to get from him in 90 minutes let alone game to game. He is a microcosm of our team.

Would the real Langfield, and Aberdeen FC please turn up for the rest of the season  :thumbsup:

I know what you mean, he does make some very good saves. But then, he's a professional goalkeeper, he should be making good saves. Unfortunately for him, a goalkeeper is always judged on how many/few mistakes he makes.

I know what you mean, he does make some very good saves. But then, he's a professional goalkeeper, he should be making good saves. Unfortunately for him, a goalkeeper is always judged on how many/few mistakes he makes.

Have to say I was pretty disappointed with his performance last night. He flaps, gets out of position, has very poor distribution, can't kick, and the amount of times the ball comes off him directly to the feet of an atttacker is ridiculous.

A nervous goalie makes for a nervous defence.

I think we really need a proper good goalie in the summer. Clangers doesn't have the temperament for professional football - he is quite good when he's on form, but never any better than that - and god awful when he's having 'one of his turns'.

EDIT: Not that I'm blaming Langfield for the result - we could have had two Jim Leightons (1980s vintage) in goal and we'd still have lost out to a team who are far superior in ALL departments.

All in all a run to be proud of and no shock to be well beaten by Bayern. However another pumping in the league is not acceptable. If league form doesn't improve fast I'm going to find myself wondering about our management team - despite a great bit of fun in Europe (we did only actually win one match in the end though).

Well done to the Dons tonight. We were well beaten by one of the best teams in club football. Despite the scoreline I don't think we disgraced ourselves with a very young team. Fans were great too  :thumbsup:

I totally agree ajja.  Didnt get to see or even listen to the game but when an english colleague was ripping the piss at the final score it didnt really bother me.  Craic is luca toni gets paid more in a month than it cost for our entire starting lineup last night.  We have done amazingly well to get as far as we have and i hope we made a decent amount of dough out of it.  The only bad thing about our cup runs has been the disappointment of the league form.  It has only gone to highlight the lack of strengh in depth that we have. If we pull our socks up we might be able to make a fight for third, its there for the taking imo.  However i am sceptical of this with JC's tactical prowess being key to doing this.  If we lose to celtic in the cup game i believe the season is over

I think the fact that we're now out of both the CIS and the UEFA is a bit of a blessing, as we will no longer have the fixture-pileup that we've had over the past few months. The squad needs a rest. With a fully-rested squad, I think we could push for third place quite easily.

This was something I had been chatting to london scottish about after the game. I don't buy that excuse. How many games have they played extra in europe? Its not like we've been playing or trying to play teams off the park this season. They haven't looked interested, so in that, I would say that they haven't exerted any energy, why be tired?  :P

But I do agree, i'm glad we're out, though I think I'd rather be out of the scottish cup than the league, opportunity to play at hampden and win a trophy was so appealing to me. But oh well, beggers can't be choosers and all that. Now come on Aberdeen and lets get this league form sorted, if we're going to play in the champs league against bayern next season we need to start ticking  :thumbsup: