Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

P&J: Best may have to go – McGhee

Best may have to go – McGhee

Dons manager may have to sell leading pittodrie player for greater good of his reds team

By Michael Gannon

Published: 05/08/2009

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee will sacrifice one of his best players to fund his Pittodrie rebuilding programme.

McGhee wants to keep hold of the likes of Lee Miller, Jamie Langfield, Zander Diamond and Sone Aluko. But the failure to reach the group stages of the Europa League and a constricted budget mean he may be forced to cash in for the greater good of his side.

He said: “I spoke to Willie Miller and Stewart Milne and you have to be open-minded and look at every option. You have to look at what you need to do and that includes selling players.

“I am prepared to be creative. If I have to lose one to get in another three who will improve us as a team then I have to be prepared to do it.

“I have not been unhappy with the attitude or the general quality of the squad but I think we are lacking in several positions and to fill those maybe I will have to sacrifice somewhere else.

“There has been no interest. I think we would have to initiate it by saying people are available and that would mean the best players.

“We have a shortlist of players we could get in today but we want to make sure we get the best we can. There is a bit of urgency and desperation starting to creep in as we need someone by the Celtic game but are going to make sure we get the best we can with the money available and we will keep looking for as long as it takes.â€

McGhee and the Dons squad depart this morning for tomorrow’s Europa League second leg against Sigma Olomouc in the Czech Republic. They will leave defender Zander Diamond behind as the centre back has not recovered from an Achilles injury and is a major doubt to be fit in time for the SPL kick-off against Celtic on August 15.

McGhee said: “Zander won’t play before the Celtic game and the question is whether he will be fit for that. Hopefully, he will be training by the start of the week as he is an important player for us. He has a big influence in both penalty boxes, so we would love to have him fit for the first league game.

“We would probably end up still risking him for the Celtic game even if he can’t train too much. But, hopefully, we have got someone in by then who will give us some help at the back.â€

McGhee’s European objectives have changed after last week’s first leg 5-1 defeat. He is now looking to use tomorrow’s match, as well as Sunday’s Dean Windass testimonial at Hull City, as pre-paration for the SPL opener.

He said: “The aim is to salvage some pride and see if we can take that forward into the game against Celtic. I think it would be a bit unrealistic to expect a total transformation of performance in the space of a week.

“We have got the same squad, so we can switch things to get the best out of the group we have got.

“We will pick the best 11 outfield players we think can get us a result and we will try to make ourselves more difficult to beat.â€

So we basically have £0 to spend then?  Could someone at Pittodrie make up a story and stick to it.  First we have money for 3 signings then we dont, then Milne puts his hand in his pocket to back MM, now we need to sell to buy?  Do they actually communicate in there?

Surely a non-story, every player has his price and its nae as if ony of our players are irreplaceable eh??

Plus surely better cashing in noo than the usual protracted contract saga, when they leave for feck all at the end of it onyway.

Pretty much Rocco. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Langfield joining the vermin - they're short of cash and McGregor may be one of the few players they get a few bob for.

My issue with all this chat is that once a player leaves, be it a transfer (anderson/hart/clark) or on a free (BN/Seve) we cant replace them.  No one wants to come and play for aberdeen & we cant pay the premium to convince them to come and play for aberdeen.

Any money in fees goes to the debt & any freed up wages... - fuck knows where that goes.

At this rate we'll have the youth team out at the start of the season.

oh, and the P&J can fuck off too.

My issue with all this chat is that once a player leaves, be it a transfer (anderson/hart/clark) or on a free (BN/Seve) we cant replace them.  No one wants to come and play for aberdeen & we cant pay the premium to convince them to come and play for aberdeen.

Any money in fees goes to the debt & any freed up wages... - fuck knows where that goes.

At this rate we'll have the youth team out at the start of the season.

oh, and the P&J can fuck off too.

This is what worries me too. Its all well and good saying you'll replace them, but at the moment, its hard to see who is going to replace anyone as no-one with any quality seems to want to come to us. Its a bit concerning that there's all this chat about more players leaving and being a turnover of 8-10 players. I just don't see how thats going to happen.

This is what worries me too. Its all well and good saying you'll replace them, but at the moment, its hard to see who is going to replace anyone as no-one with any quality seems to want to come to us. Its a bit concerning that there's all this chat about more players leaving and being a turnover of 8-10 players. I just don't see how thats going to happen.

We will not increase the quality of the squad nor will we "replace" any of the players in like for like transfers.

The quality of the squad will continue to drop without investment and that will not happen.

We will not increase the quality of the squad nor will we "replace" any of the players in like for like transfers.

The quality of the squad will continue to drop without investment and that will not happen.

Its quite depressing to be honest. I know we're skint but we're fucked if the board do not release funds for MM to invest. Why are there so many inconsistencies from within the club regarding the amount of money available?

There's someone explaining that there is too much negativity from the AFC management over on the Hat and they're getting shouted down.

It's amazing that McGhee fulfils much of the criteria that they hated Calderwood for yet they have mass bukakkes over him.

It would be difficult to be positive in the wake of that performance.

That said, there isn't much positive being done that is obvious, Milne is absent, as is Miller.  No signings despite McGhee being aware they were essential. He knew what he was going into and thus far seems unable to negotiate a way through it and is now trumpeting the availability of our better players as a kinda "final solution".

Sell a few better players, bring in lots more mediocre ones.

I'd much rather have Lee Miller than Steven McLean.

Its quite depressing to be honest. I know we're skint but we're fucked if the board do not release funds for MM to invest. Why are there so many inconsistencies from within the club regarding the amount of money available?

Because Miller/Milne will say that there is "money available" but McGhee is now well aware that what is available isn't enough.

Money could mean a few trackies and a few match baws, a crumpled few Euros fae the holidays or 50 grand.

It may mean no cash as such, but wages freed up from the departures of Smith, Severin and Mair.

It would be difficult to be positive in the wake of that performance.

That said, there isn't much positive being done that is obvious, Milne is absent, as is Miller.  No signings despite McGhee being aware they were essential. He knew what he was going into and thus far seems unable to negotiate a way through it and is now trumpeting the availability of our better players as a kinda "final solution".

Sell a few better players, bring in lots more mediocre ones.

I'd much rather have Lee Miller than Steven McLean.

:clap:  Totally, it really does worry me we're going to end up with a team of duff's, young's, foster's and considine.  :-\

:clap:  Totally, it really does worry me we're going to end up with a team of duff's, young's, foster's and considine.  :-\

That IS what we have. ;)

But get the shite polisher out.

We WILL play entertaining fitba with the dross either currently in the squad or the other dross we haven't seen yet, that we can afford.

It may mean no cash as such, but wages freed up from the departures of Smith, Severin and Mair.

Which after the Plymouth fiasco seems to amount to fuck all....

I dont know much about player wages but i'd guess that that three between them got the guts of 6k/week - that would be two decent defenders worth i'd have thought??

So either wage demands have gone through the roof, or we're looking at totally the wrong players. To use a car analogy, I want an Aston Martin DB9, but realistically i'd go to VW and look at a Golf.

and as for the replace 8-10 players - thats pure fantasy considering that we cant replace three.

Will we or the opposition be playing this entertaining football? Because I certainly can't see us playing it if we sell our best players and sign more players of the young and duff calibre. This is doing my head in. Considering, I think most of us thought if we signed a CB and a RB, our team would be fairly competetive, and now it seems like we're going even further backwards. I know we're skint, but I don't see how cutting back to the point of a team that isn't going to attract investment or fans is going to help the situation.

There will be NO entertaining football if the entire game we're being pressed back because we're worried about the ability of our defenders (or midfielders forced to play as defenders).

I don't think Duff is as bad as some on here are making out. Granted he is no central defender and it is therefore unfair to judge hom on that basis.

What is wrong is seemingly having only 4 defenders in the squad, and then deciding Mair is completely surplus to requirements.  He may not have been beckenbauer, but he did at least have some positional sense.

I am convince McGhee won't let any of the nemad players go...I bet he's looking to offload some of the second tier players to say, hibs or hamilton. He's trying to pressure the board to fund "someone" he has his eye on, but needs to pay a fee for.

It may not be up to McGhee, depending on the offer made (if there is an offer made).

call me a cynic, but we're not exactly swimming in offers for any of our " big names ". Miller and Zander aside, I couldn't give a flying toss who left if we got cash to help the squad. No one else on decent money has been a stand out for us. If they were they'd have gone already or at least have generated interest in themselves. We've been mediocre with these guys Hart. Anderson, clark and all the nostalgic pish included, so if the gaffer wants to punt some and change our style what's the worst that can happen? more disappointment like the last 20 years or so.

As I've stated before I was for Newell not McGhee but I think there is a clear need for a shake up at pittodrie and he can do whatever the hell he wants to if it helps break our mediocrity in the mid to long term. He knows he'll never win anything with the core of our team as it is so lets give the fella a bit of time.

True, redordead. He's had ONE competitive match so far. Just so happens that his one match resulted in a resounding loss due to a lack of backup defenders.

But we ALWAYS have at least one crazy result a season that keeps the back pages of the Record filled for a week. Whether it be 5-1 against Sigma, 4-2 against Dunfermline, 4-3 against Queen of the South, or 6-1 against Livi. We always have one or two absolutely shocking results per season. Nice to get one of them out of the way early doors. It's just unfortunate that it's in European competition!