Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

EE: I won’t have to sell my top stars

I won’t have to sell my top stars

Calderwood: ‘I have all the money I need’

Published: 20/12/2008

By Charlie Allan  :wave:

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood is delighted there is no pressure on him to sell star players next month.

Euro rivals Hearts and Dundee United are bracing themselves for the loss of key men when the UEFA transfer window re-opens.

Reports suggest the Jam Tarts may be forced to sell up to six of their top team regulars to ease their financial problems.

United’s Polish keeper Lukasz Zaluska is set to move to Celtic after rejecting a new deal. Other Tangerine talents have been linked with moves to England.

But the Dons directors have organised their finances to ensure Calderwood only needs to sell when it suits him.

Calderwood said: “The way the club has organised the finances means we can sustain what we have planned for at least the next two years.

“That doesn't mean we won’t sell any players.

“If a big club came in with a silly offer we would have to consider it.

“But I’m not under pressure to sell anyone because the budget I have means I can sustain the squad we have and even add to it.

“I know other managers won’t be as fortunate, so I’m very pleased.â€

It means Calderwood could decide to keep all six of the players whose contracts are due to expire – skipper Scott Severin, Darren Mackie, Jamie Smith, Lee Mair, Jeffrey de Visscher and Derek Young – at Pittodrie until the summer, even if they choose not to accept new deals.

Calderwood said: “If they decide they don’t want to stay, then we have to look at what is best for everyone.

“I would be very surprised if that is the case with all six.

“But my priority will be to make sure we still have a squad good enough to sustain a challenge for the European places.

“I hope we will have all of that sorted out, one way or another, quite soon.

“Everything we do next month hinges on what those six lads choose to do.

“That’s why we haven’t really made any firm plans to sign anyone at the moment.

“We’ve been out scouting but that’s been more a case of doing our homework in case we have to move quickly in January.â€

The Dons hope to maintain their challenge for a place in next season’s UEFA Cup by beating SPL hosts Inverness Caley Thistle this afternoon.

“If we want to be third, these are the ones we have to win,†said Calderwood.

“We’ve worked hard to get back up in touch with the clubs in third and fourth place.

“But one slip could blow it all away and the players are aware of that.â€

Sone Aluko has recovered from a hamstring injury and will start.

Jamie Smith and reserve keeper Bertrand Bossu are also fit but won’t feature again until next weekend’s home clash with Hearts.

I have a feeling this is how we managed to sustain our team that managed to get into Europe two seasons ago.  A mix of jiggery pokery with our finances to sustain a reasonable playing staff, whilst the other supposed contenders, ie Unt and Hearts had to mover players on (ie the infamous Pressley et al affair) and went on mini melt downs.  Thereby we managed a modicum of stability within the team and from that we got the results we needed.  I do feel the January transfer window might be able to give us a bit of insight as to how the second half of the season is going to go.  As  Calderwood sez, not selling, only looking to improve. 

If Europe beckons again, we should, however learn and use that money to bolster the squad, ensuring European games happen more frequently so we can take full financial advantage that playing in Europe allows. 

I have a feeling this is how we managed to sustain our team that managed to get into Europe two seasons ago.  A mix of jiggery pokery with our finances to sustain a reasonable playing staff, whilst the other supposed contenders, ie Unt and Hearts had to mover players on (ie the infamous Pressley et al affair) and went on mini melt downs.  Thereby we managed a modicum of stability within the team and from that we got the results we needed.  I do feel the January transfer window might be able to give us a bit of insight as to how the second half of the season is going to go.  As  Calderwood sez, not selling, only looking to improve. 

If Europe beckons again, we should, however learn and use that money to bolster the squad, ensuring European games happen more frequently so we can take full financial advantage that playing in Europe allows. 

I think it will def impact hard on Hearts. Even if they only sell Berra they will be significantly weakened as they have built their recent run on his ability alone. Add Kingston, Aguiar and Driver into that mix and you pretty much remove all their teeth. 

If a run in Europe can wipe out a quarter of our debt just like that, surely the board must see the Europa League as BY FAR the quickest way of clearing that friggin financial noose that's been hanging over our heads since the RDS was built. Four seasons in Europe, and we're debt-free!