Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

P&J: striker can’t understand fans who don’t rate manager

striker can’t understand fans who don’t rate manager

Calderwood great for Aberdeen, says Miller

By Paul Third

Published: 01/12/2008

Aberdeen striker Lee Miller is at a loss to explain why his manager, Jimmy Calderwood, has doubters among the Dons support.

Calderwood celebrated his 200th game in charge with a victory courtesy of Aberdeen’s 2-0 win against Motherwell at Pittodrie.

The longest-serving manager at the club since Sir Alex Ferguson is the toast of the directors following Aberdeen’s performances both on and off the field.

Calderwood will join the directors at Pittodrie tonight for the club’s annual meeting knowing he has excelled in the eyes of his board, but he has still to win the hearts and minds of a certain section of the supporters.

Miller, however, has no doubt about the manager’s contribution.

Since joining Aberdeen from Dundee United, Miller has rediscovered his form – culminating in a Scotland recall for the friendly against Argentina last month – and the Dons forward has nothing but praise for the role his manager has played in the revival of his career.

He said: “The manager has been really good to me in my time here. I had a slow start to my Aberdeen career but he kept me in and it gave me a huge lift. I have been able to kick on since and I am happy with my form.

“My career has been a rollercoaster but the mana-ger showed a lot of faith in me by taking me here from Dundee United.

“The timing was crucial for me as I was at a stage in my career where I needed to kick on again and I have been able to do that at this club. I feel at home here.

“It’s strange that some supporters haven’t really taken to him. You look at his record and he has always had the team up there challenging.â€

In the build-up to Saturday’s game, Calderwood hinted he would consider his position at the club if he steered the Dons to cup success.

But Miller believes his manager still has work to do at Pittodrie.

The Dons striker added: “I wouldn’t like to see him quit. The manager, Jimmy Nicholl and Sandy Clark are great to work with and we would love to win a trophy with them for the supporters.

“He took the team into Europe last year, which was brilliant, but the expectations are always high at this club and we have to try to meet them by doing it again.â€

Miller scored the second goal from the penalty spot to see off Mark McGhee’s Steelmen at Pittodrie at the weekend and make victory secure.

But the forward insists that praise for the win, which did not look like coming following a poor first half, should go to Gary McDonald, who scored following his appearance from the bench.

Miller said: “Gary came on and gave us an extra boost. I thought he was brilliant. Mark Kerr was also brilliant. He broke up the play and was always looking for the penetrating pass. I could go through the whole team as our second-half performance was so good.â€

Think this is quite a good article and I have to agree with what he says. JC saved Miller's career as he was on a road to nothing with the Jutes and now is one of the most consistent performers for our club. Thank fuck he stayed! And its good to see that even he thinks JC has still got a lot of work to do at the club.  :thumbsup:

deliberate typo?!?  :o

:lolabove:

Only thing lacking in Miller's contribution is goals.

Never going to be a thirty goal a season sort of striker, but would be good to see him regularily hitting fifteen to twenty a season for us [ excluding penalties  ;) ]

Only thing lacking in Miller's contribution is goals.

Never going to be a thirty goal a season sort of striker, but would be good to see him regularily hitting fifteen to twenty a season for us [ excluding penalties  ;) ]

To be fair, as JC has even said (either about him or Mackie) if any of our strikers were 30 goal a season strikers, they wouldn't be with us. But I think Miller's all round game is top notch, as you say, just want a few more goals out of him.  :thumbsup:

To be fair, as JC has even said (either about him or Mackie) if any of our strikers were 30 goal a season strikers, they wouldn't be with us. But I think Miller's all round game is top notch, as you say, just want a few more goals out of him.  :thumbsup:

Thats the standard he sets for ALL strikers  :-\

Surely it's the players that might be capable of that, that we should be scouting/trying to sign and coaching to that level. That statement is a bit of a cop out as if a striker did score 20 - 30 and left, it would hopefully be for a decent fee. If Jimmy did this, might not have to be a striker necessarily, it would go a long way to changing these fans opinions. I think it is the, we're  "not great but not bad" attitude that gets folks back up. Maybe Aluko is that player.

I think the fact that so many players seem to enjoy playing for him/willing to sign for him is one of the major reasons to stick by JC. There are a number of players at the club who wouldn't have looked twice at us otherwise.

Completely agree, the calibre of player that we have signed under JC has been significantly higher than in previous years. I know they don't always perform, but the fact they are here says something about JC.

Would I not be entirely wrong in saying the increase in the playing budget during Jimmy's tenure would also play a large part in tempting these higher calibre players?

Also lets not forget the higher calibre players that have left during Jimmy's tenure. Admittedly a lot of these went to further their career. I think its a pointless exercise naming top players that managers have brought in as lots of our "crap" managers bought decent players. Skhovdahl: Bisconti, Zerouali. Paterson: Hart, Heikenin. W.Miller: Rico, Windass?(was that him or Aitken) A.Miller: Ehm????

The main difference is that Jimmy signs players that he never plays, the others signed dross but actually played them or at least gave them a chance.