Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

P&J: Dons will raise game – not only against Rangers, says Maguire

Dons will raise game – not only against Rangers, says Maguire

ABERDEEN FORWARD HOPING FOR START AT IBROX AFTER IMPRESSING FOR YOUNG SCOTS

By Michael Gannon

Published: 21/11/2008

Aberdeen attacker Chris Maguire has rejected the oft-quoted accusation the Dons only raise their game when they are facing Rangers.

Light Blues defender David Weir trotted out the now-customary line this week in the build-up to Aberdeen’s trip to Ibrox tomorrow, a venue the Dons have not claimed victory at since 1995.

Rangers have failed to win in their last four trips to Pittodrie and saw their hopes of lifting the SPL extinguished in a 2-0 defeat in the Granite City on the final day of last season.

It has been a different story at Ibrox where the Dons have lost on their last four visits but Maguire is confident Aberdeen can emerge with at least a point.

The 19-year-old forward is hoping to be handed a place in the starting line-up after coming off the bench for the injured Darren Mackie last weekend and impressing on his debut for Scotland under-21s in the 3-1 midweek defeat to Northern Ireland.

He said: “It is a bit unfair to say we just raise our game to play against Rangers.

“I think we showed at Celtic a few weeks ago that it is not the case.

“We came very close there and although we have not been at our best in the past few weeks, we have started grinding out results.

“Hopefully, we can get a positive result at Ibrox that will help turn things round.

“When they came up to Pittodrie on the final day of last season we showed we would not allow them to push us over to get the three points.

“Teams such as Dundee United have gone to Ibrox and got the points as well so there is no reason we can get a result there.

“The Old Firm let you play with the ball and it is up to us to do something with it.

“The games between ourselves and Rangers are usually quite close.

“We have to go out there and try to get a positive result. We were bottom of the table, but it is very tight this season and a couple of results and you are up the table again.

“Hopefully, I can get back into the manager’s plans.

“I thought I did all right in the second half last week and the first half on Tuesday, so hopefully the manager considers that.â€

Maguire enjoyed his Scotland debut and he predicts a bright future for Billy Stark’s new-look side despite the losing start.

He said: “That was the first time we played together and there were some positives to take from it. As time goes on and the more games we play, the better we will get.

“You do not get much time together, but you have to work hard for your club and hope it comes together when you meet up for your country.â€

Anything could happen in this game today. The only thing I can say with any certainty is that I can't remember being less interested in a game v's the huns at Ibrox in a long time. I hope to fuck that today we can do something to put some energy back into supporting the Dons.

When we were 2-0 up last Saturday I sat in the stand and thought 'please just go on and take this team apart so we can feel really good for a week'. I think as a support we need to see us do something extraordinary. Last season was pretty much the same as this one, the crucial difference was the dire displays and grinding out of results were punctuated by some great moments that kept the energy and momentum behind us all. We really need a good win and Ibrox would be the place to deliver  :thumbsup: