Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

P&J Jimmy’s old protege Bullen vows to do his best to keep Dons rock bottom

Jimmy’s old protege Bullen vows to do his best to keep Dons rock bottom

By Michael Gannon

Published: 16/10/2008

ABERDEEN manager Jimmy Calderwood is in the middle of the most difficult spell of his Pittodrie tenure to date – and if Lee Bullen has his way, things are about to get worse.

Calderwood has come under increasing fire after five straight defeats. The Dons are now bottom of the SPL and out of the League Cup.

They travel to face Falkirk on Saturday and the Bairns will include centre half Bullen – one of Calderwood’s most trusted players for four seasons at Dunfermline.

Bullen believes Calderwood will eventually turn things around, but is determined to turn up the heat on his former manager.

Bullen said: “Jimmy Calderwood and the group of players he has at Aberdeen are well capable of lifting the club out of the position it is in, but I will be doing my damndest to keep them at the bottom of the league.

“I worked with Jimmy for four seasons and there is not a manager on the planet who is not going to have a spell like this. It has been well documented that this is the first time Aberdeen have found themselves bottom of the league, but it’s situations like these which make you stronger and Jimmy knows that.

“We had a sort of love-hate relationship at times, but overall I have nothing but respect for him and I get on really well with the two Jimmys.

“When we were at Dunfermline, the team went through rough times as well. Aberdeen are a big club in Scottish football who have good individual players.

“The performance against Celtic a few weeks ago proved that on their day they are good enough to match anyone in this league.â€

Falkirk have their own climbing agenda as they bid to get back on track in the top flight.

Bullen added: “We know we are in for a tough game, but there is a lot of excitement around the training ground. Both teams are under a bit of pressure, but we are just two wins off the teams who are currently sitting in third place. That’s how close this league is. It’s so tight. Teams are producing results all over the place with the likes of St Mirren beating Rangers, which was a magnificent result.â€

Martin Hardie is on the road to recovery after being injured in a collision with an advertising hoarding.

The St Johnstone midfielder hopes to face Livingston on Saturday but has been laid-up after clattering into a board in the Dundee derby.

Come on you reds, get a win and lets get the season started! Points wise you cannot do worse than september!

I don't know who Lee Bullen is, but I look forward to seeing him flat on his arse as Mackie glides past him to score several goals on Saturday.

You gotta give me some of what you've been having if think a. mackie can glide past anyone and b. will score a goal on sat let alone several

Guest swaddon

You gotta give me some of what you've been having if think a. mackie can glide past anyone and b. will score a goal on sat let alone several

Two teaspoons of optimism, to be taken three times a day.

pace up front is a must for this game!

I agree 100%.

I don't normally find myself calling for Mackie to start a game but I think he's a must for this match.  McNamara and Bullen are very slow, if Mackie gets wired into them and generally makes a nuisance of himself I think that could go a long way to securing a win.

Hopefully Foster is played at right midfield again, he looked quite dangerous against Hibs and his pace could cause Falkirk a lot of problems.

Will Foster not almost certainly be at left back with Mulgrew suspended?

Probably. I'd like to see him played in midfield for this game though, punt Mair out to left back.

I thought Mair was shite everywhere apart from CB? Or am I missing something?

You're not missing anything, who else would you put there?  You could punt Foster to left back but as I've already said I think we need him in a more attacking role tomorrow.