Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The only way is up for Aberdeen’s on-loan Hodgkiss

The only way is up for Aberdeen’s on-loan Hodgkiss

By Michael Gannon

Published: 18/09/2008

Aberdeen new recruit Jared Hodgkiss has erased his disastrous Dons debut from memory and is focussing on forcing his way into manager Jimmy Calder wood’s starting line-up to face Dundee United this weekend.

The 19-year-old on-loan West Bromwich Albion full-back conceded a penalty just 26 seconds into his first appearance for the Reds at Fraserburgh last week.

He recovered to put in a sterling performance but then gave away another spot kick against the Highland league side late on as they drew 3-3 in Derek Milne’s testimonial.

Hodgkiss reckons it was the worst debut ever but he has not let the false start hold him back in his bid to become a first team regular.

The England youth international was a stand-out for the Dons reserves in Tuesday’s 1-0 defeat against Rangers, now he is hoping to benefit from Dons manager Jimmy Calderwood’s shake up in the aftermath of last weekend’s defeat to Hamilton.

Hodgkiss said: “The Fraserburgh game was possibly the worst start anyone could possibly have.

“The only way was up after that, but I am over that now and it was good to get another 90 minutes under my belt against Rangers.

“I have settled in well, the players have really welcomed me and I have enjoyed it.

Last week was my first full week of training at the club and I feel good.

“I have been impressed with the club, it is very well organised.

“This is a great learning curve for me, being in and around the first team and hopefully it will not be too long before I am playing my part.

“I have played two games for the reserves now so I would like to think I am pushing for a place in the first team.

“I’ll leave that to the manager but the aim is to get as many games as I can.

I will have to wait and see what the manager has in mind.

“I feel quite sharp and raring to get involved.

“We had a strong reserve side out against Rangers and we were told to go out and show what we could do because there might be opportunities to get into the team.

“The result did not go for us but a few of the players did their chances no harm at all.â€

“We all want to be involved against Dundee United.â€

While Hodgkiss is hoping to be involved at the weekend, he insisted earning a first win at Pittodrie this season is far more important.

He said: “It would have been better to get a win last Saturday but we have addressed it and hope to put it right against Dundee United.â€

“The big thing is that we get the three points, especially with it being at home.

“I have been told the team are grafters away from home, we can grind out results, but it is important to win our home games.â€