EE: Jimmy’s secret signing targets

Jimmy’s secret signing targets

Four goals not enough

By Charlie Allanin Holland

Published: 01/08/2008

NO DEAL: Dyon Camero won't be offered a contract.

More Pictures

ABERDEEN boss Jimmy Calderwood has stepped up his efforts to make at least two more signings ahead of the big SPL kick-off.

Calderwood missed the 10-0 thrashing of Dutch amateur side Rietvogels as he was believed to have been holding signing talks.

Darlington striker Tommy Wright is expected at Pittodrie on Monday to complete his £75,000 switch, but trialist Dyon Camero won’t be joining him, even after his four goal salvo in the rout.

Calderwood also hopes to add a central defender to his squad before their opening SPL clash with Inverness Caley Thistle at Pittodrie a week tomorrow.

Aberdeen have already confirmed they are on the trail of a mystery Belgian centre-back.

Calderwood was expected back at their base at Delden today after leaving assistant Jimmy Nicholl in charge.

Calderwood was then expected to tell Dutchman Camero his goal feast against Rietvogels won’t earn him a contract.

Nicholl said: “Big Dyon scored his goals, and we will soon find out if it’s good enough.

“The manager will make that decision when he gets back.â€

The likeable Camero seemed resigned to his fate after doing his best to impress the sizeable crowd, which included former Dons keeper Theo Snelders and his son, Ryan.

Camero said: “My performance could have been a lot better, but I got tired.

“I don’t know if it will be enough, it’s now up to the coach. I did my best.â€

The Dons could only list 14 players for the game because of a growing list of injuries.

Defenders Zander Diamond, Lee Mair, Andrew Considine, Richard Foster and Charlie Mulgrew were all unfit, which meant Jamie Smith had to fill in at left-back.

Derek Young, Mark Kerr and Darren Mackie also missed out, but all are expected to face Caley.

The usual no quotes from Jimmy or JN about these two signings but never mind.