Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

P&J: Dons striker’s goal is regular place after signing new deal

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/741729

TEENAGER EXPECTS TOUGH COMPETITION FOR STARTING SPOT IN THE ABERDEEN ATTACK

Dons striker’s goal is regular place after signing new deal

By Michael Gannon

Published: 17/07/2008

Chris Maguire is determined to fight off competition from any incoming forwards to claim a regular starting role in Aberdeen’s attack.

The 19-year-old signed a three-year contract at Pittodrie yesterday to replace the deal due to expire at the end of the season.

The Dons have added former Celtic defender Charlie Mulgrew to their squad this week and hope to complete another signing before the weekend by bringing in Darlington attacker Tommy Wright.

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood has demanded a decision from the Quakers and Wright in the next 48 hours.

Maguire, meanwhile, has his sights set on establishing himself in the starting line-up this season regardless of the competition.

He said: “I want to keep my place in the team and be first choice.

“In a way I would rather no other forwards came in because it would leave Lee Miller, Darren Mackie and myself to battle for places.

“But if anyone comes in then I am sure we will enjoy the competition to be one of those first two picks.

“I scored a few goals at the end of last season and, hopefully, I can pick up where I left off.

“I had a year left on my contract but I wanted to get my future sorted sooner rather than later.

“It is nice to hear your name linked with other clubs but I am happy at Aberdeen and I am delighted to be here.â€

Calderwood said: “Chris has worked hard and he is ready for the first team.

“He still has things to learn but he is a very good footballer and a wonderful prospect. Giving him a new contract was an important statement to our supporters to show them we want to keep hold of our best young players.â€

Aberdeen have added a fifth match to their pre-season trip to the Netherlands.

The Dons will face Calderwood’s former club SV Rietvogels on Thursday, July 31 (7.0).

Miller

Mackie

Bebo

We really need another striker........