Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Scottish Cup Quarter Final 25/04

1 hour ago, tom_widdows said:

Nice of St Johnstone to stick the boot in when we are down

at least they've confirmed for us that our season is truly over now, as the "race" for 3rd is now worth the same as 4th - a token condescension spot in the new european kindergarten league.

I can now comfortably ignore all things football until we (hopefully) have a shiny new team to complain about next year.

Edited by OxfordDon

3 hours ago, RedStarTorphins said:

“3 or 4”.

Fuck me I hope it’s more than that 

You genuinely think that we're going to be making more than four successful signings in the summer? Woods/Lewis, Considine, Hayes, Ferguson, Campbell, Ramsay, McGeouch, Kennedy all under contract so likely staying and I wouldn't be surprised to see McGinn getting another year too. Plus McRorie. 

To be honest, I think with a striker or two in there, Hedges back and another couple we've got the makings of a decent team, just as we had at the beginning of the season. But injuries to those new signings, or just them turning out to be shite will mean that the players we saw today will form a large part of next season's squad. I think it would be entirely unrealistic to expect many more than 4 good signings (6-7 signings in total, at a 60% success rate) in a window and I don't see us operating with a massive squad either. 

So what could we have done differently with the tactics?

It doesn't matter what plans you come up with.

If you're not very skillful you can only play safe and hope nobody else loses the ball.

Unfortunately every player is thinking the same thing because they know the truth about themselves.

You'd have to think we need to sign two centre halves, a left back and a couple of strikers.  If he is going to field a team with Ramsay, Campbell, McRorie, Ferguson plus maybe either McLennan, Anderson or Ruth from time to time then we need some more experience alongside them.  I would sign up Logan for another year to help bring on Ramsay because you cannot expect him to play a full season next year.  Shay's still got a lot to offer, no need to chuck him aside. 

8 hours ago, HaarDon said:

So what could we have done differently with the tactics?

It doesn't matter what plans you come up with.

If you're not very skillful you can only play safe and hope nobody else loses the ball.

Unfortunately every player is thinking the same thing because they know the truth about themselves.

There are plenty of players with enough skill in our team to overcome united. Kamberi is skillful, but he was playing dogshite after a decent performance against the Tim. It's obvious that his tracking back leaves a lot to be desired and his decision making poor, so don't chip little balls to him with his back to goal on the half way line. If a team is pressing you then stretch them and go long into the channels so that they have to hold off on the press for fear of losing it in behind. Don't just continue to pass the ball out from the back because that's what you've seen on the telly. That's the sort of pish we saw when Sheerin was in charge for a couple of games. It's childish, naive, nonsense. It's the exact crap we saw from McGhee where he would try and play one way and not recognise when it was failing. Similarly, when you've had two hard games in a week where players were struggling towards the end, use the squad. Get Ross in for McGinn, Hornby for Kamberi or Henry, McGeouch for Campbell. When players are tired, there not going to perfectly play your Dutch total football game from the back and it's when you make your mistakes.

New signings or not, Glass cannot lay down a style of play and insist that everyone does it regardless, that's just stupid. You have to work with what you've got and adapt that style to suit who's on the pitch as well as recognising that when they're not fresh they'll react differently. We're not going to be buying our way out of this in the summer, we've got guys on contracts that will be here next season and guys that when played correctly will happily take us to third in the league alongside some good quality signings. I don't buy the "clear out" shit, it's simply not happening. The guys out of contract will mostly leave of course, but there's still a significant portion of that team that are here next season.

Furthermore, I fucking hate the "it's not his team" shit that gets trailed out every time a manager joins a club. It's the very definition of a manager that you work with players to understand their strengths and weaknesses and maximise those strengths by playing to suit the majority in the team. Even when you sign new players, you're always going to make errors, and those errors are no different to accepting a previous managers signings. That's where the skill of a manager comes into play. That's what Clarke did so well at Killie, he recognised inividual players' strengths and maximised those.

Hopefully Glass gets a good summer and brings in 3-4 really good players that can bring the best out of the guys we've still got just as Watkins, Wright and Hedges did earlier in the season. I don't believe he's a terrible manager based on a few games, but he certainly shouldn't be immune from criticism for making basic errors that an experienced manager should deal with. Just as he should be given zero credit for "saying the right things". We've gone down the route of an inexperienced manager who is still learning, we'll have to accept that he's going to make errors along the way. He's a fairly intelligent guy who'll likely work things out pretty quickly. It's a high risk strategy, but that's fine, it'll make things exciting.

Edited by RicoS321

58 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

You'd have to think we need to sign two centre halves, a left back and a couple of strikers.  If he is going to field a team with Ramsay, Campbell, McRorie, Ferguson plus maybe either McLennan, Anderson or Ruth from time to time then we need some more experience alongside them.  I would sign up Logan for another year to help bring on Ramsay because you cannot expect him to play a full season next year.  Shay's still got a lot to offer, no need to chuck him aside. 

Logan?

No way.

I thought we did try to go down the channels yesterday but D.U. were well organized and nullified our attacks.

When you had Kennedy trying to get balls in, he was closed down and even when he got a ball across it was pish..

He didnt try to link up play or take players on because he cant.he just likes a wee roll over to make him look good with no end result.

At least with McInnes we had a tall target man to hopefully get on the end of these crosses to no avail mostly.

Who do we have?

Hoban was shite yesterday as was Campbell.

It was night and day from the Celtic game but akin to most of our season.

We just dont have the players there.

Yes they can get motivated every so often esp now a new manager has come in, however ,they're basically pretty pish.

I think fans have a right to say it's not Glass's team since it's only been a few games and 100% true.

Next season we can justifyingly say that.

We need to trust in the coaches bringing out more in these players for a few months and then we can judge the management.

3 or 4 very good signings will change things I believe even though I would love a clear out (apart from Hedges)?

Edited by HaarDon

3 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Why not?

He is better than anyone else who has played right back for us this season.

He was only put on loan a couple of weeks ago.

Don't think he's in the grand plan and he's been shite for us for a while.