Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Broken Glass

Im as excited about this as I was at McInnes appointment(ie not very),...but,for mcInnes first 4 years he did better than I expected so who knows,lets give Glass the chance.As someone said,some of the reactions to his appointment have been embarassing,mainly elsewhere but here too.

Dont know much about the other guy mentioned,Russell?. Bit of a left field addition but potentially a decent appt.?

Edited by Elgindon

1 hour ago, flooter said:

If glass had some experience I'd welcome him home with open arms.  The thought of cheering for Scott Brown gives me the boak.

Is he the best we could of got?  

Yep. None of the other chairman's mates new anything about managing a football club. What was he supposed to do? 

If Glass is coming in to fulfil the traditional manager role, he’s a massively underwhelming appointment and surely worthy only of fraction of the previous managers alleged salary. 

If he’s part of a different approach, more as first team coach, a cog in a larger machine, then there might be more merit that first thought. 

It definitely feels like Cormack isn’t playing straight with us and his constant lines about being transparent are already jarring against his actions. 

Is Glass only on a 12 month contract? I’ve not seen his contract length mentioned officially yet. That doesn’t scream confidence, nor does it leave us well protected should he be doing well and Atlanta find they need a new boss themselves. 

Brown is the really revolting thought for me. On paper, he is exactly what we lack, Christ, we’ve lacked a horrible cunt  in the middle of the park for years. He’s an experienced leader and mentality has been highly questionable over the McInnes era. But he’s got so much history with us. The tackle on Watkins in October still leaves a bitter taste, let alone the Logan stuff. If you can take the emotion out of it though, he could be a very useful addition, just as Glass could be a vital piece in a bigger puzzle. But who can take the emotion out of football. 

9 minutes ago, thestooge said:

But he’s got so much history with us. The tackle on Watkins in October still leaves a bitter taste, let alone the Logan stuff. If you can take the emotion out of it though, he could be a very useful addition, just as Glass could be a vital piece in a bigger puzzle. But who can take the emotion out of football. 

And then there is the reaction to Cosgrove tackle and Logan kicking the ball of his head whilst down, Calling out Cormack about the Ayer (cheating cunt) incident and lets not forget his spat with Shinnie. 

Add all that up and thats a shit load of history

46 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

We had no problems, as a club, signing goodwillie.

A lot of people did have issues with the signing of Goodwillie. I know a good few who didn’t buy season tickets when he was at the club including myself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thestooge said:

It definitely feels like Cormack isn’t playing straight with us and his constant lines about being transparent are already jarring against his actions. 

It's hard to judge whether he's just giving it to Glass because he knows him already (something that happens all the time in the business world - you make a big deal out of having an open hiring process then just appoint your mate regardless of who applies) or whether it's something more than that.

At a minimum the relationship with Atlanta isn't what Cormack has said it is. It looked to me like Gallagher was getting put in the team for non-footballing reasons as we had several players better than he was in the squad at the time. It absolutely looked to me like we signed Hernandez because of some deal with Atlanta because there's no way we're blowing £800,000 on a player our manager clearly didn't rate who then coincidentally ended up getting loaned to Atlanta. Now we've appointed one of their coaches as our manager.

The question is are we getting something out of all this or are Atlanta just using us. Still not sure which it is.

Nae happy at all about Scott Brown.

But if they can keep the mutant away from the public eye then I suppose he's the kind of person we've been needing behind the scenes.

Glass?

What can I say? 

Good luck loon, I hope you're brilliant.

Overall, he's nae Lennon.

If it had been Lennon I would have had to take up interior design or something as a hobby.

Edited by donsdaft
  • Like 1

Well I for one am excited about the future. I was impressed with Glass' interview on RedTV and also Cormack. It sounds like they already have some new players identified and that they will be investing in the squad this summer. There is a real ignorance about US Major League Soccer. For all a lot of people can't stand the US and the style they put on sport, they know how to do it and invest in grass roots and coaching etc. In my opinion, the US are far better at professional sport that we are. Glass comes to us with a really good education which is a lot more than can be said for some young managers here. Jack Ross is an example of a young fairly inexperienced manager and he is doing pretty well as is Gerrard. Atlanta 2 would cuff any Scottish Championship team in Scotland. Glass has more experience than most people are giving him credit for!

18 minutes ago, Chris Frae Killie said:

Well I for one am excited about the future. I was impressed with Glass' interview on RedTV and also Cormack. It sounds like they already have some new players identified and that they will be investing in the squad this summer. There is a real ignorance about US Major League Soccer. For all a lot of people can't stand the US and the style they put on sport, they know how to do it and invest in grass roots and coaching etc. In my opinion, the US are far better at professional sport that we are. Glass comes to us with a really good education which is a lot more than can be said for some young managers here. Jack Ross is an example of a young fairly inexperienced manager and he is doing pretty well as is Gerrard. Atlanta 2 would cuff any Scottish Championship team in Scotland. Glass has more experience than most people are giving him credit for!

Not seen Atlanta reserves but have been too a couple of games at that level on the West Coast and would not say the level was as good as you are saying. MLS has definitely improved from first games I went to but there are still a good few player doing well in that league who struggled at leagues in England and Scotland. 

8 hours ago, Chris Frae Killie said:

There is a real ignorance about US Major League Soccer. For all a lot of people can't stand the US and the style they put on sport, they know how to do it and invest in grass roots and coaching etc. In my opinion, the US are far better at professional sport that we are. 

If this were true then their national team would be a lot better than it is. They finished fifth in their qualifying group last time behind the likes of Panama (who England put six past at the tournament) and Honduras (lost a playoff to Australia), despite having the largest potential player pool in world football (according to the FIFA survey on participation rates).

I'm not knocking the US, I'm actually a big fan of American sports, but I've seen several people on here now claim that the country is some hotbed of advanced coaching methods and I can't see any evidence for that beyond the single example of Jesse Marsh doing well at Salzburg. Anecdotally, I've played amateur football in a few different countries as I work abroad and my impression of American players is actually the exact opposite of what you're suggesting here - i.e. that they don't have good grassroots coaching and therefore many have no idea about the basics. I lived in Seattle for a little while in 2016 and the football facilities there were worse than what we have in say Glasgow in my opinion.

And again, I'm not someone who hates the US, I don't see any reason why an American-based coach should be looked down on for their background, but the reality is we were always going to get Glass in because Cormack already knew him and the stuff he's come out with about American coaches is just some spin to justify his decision.

Edited by sancho_panza

41 minutes ago, sancho_panza said:

If this were true then their national team would be a lot better than it is. They finished fifth in their qualifying group last time behind the likes of Panama (who England put six past at the tournament) and Honduras (lost a playoff to Australia), despite having the largest potential player pool in world football (according to the FIFA survey on participation rates).

I'm not knocking the US, I'm actually a big fan of American sports, but I've seen several people on here now claim that the country is some hotbed of advanced coaching methods and I can't see any evidence for that beyond the single example of Jesse Marsh doing well at Salzburg. Anecdotally, I've played amateur football in a few different countries as I work abroad and my impression of American players is actually the exact opposite of what you're suggesting here - i.e. that they don't have good grassroots coaching and therefore many have no idea about the basics. I lived in Seattle for a little while in 2016 and the football facilities there were worse than what we have in say Glasgow in my opinion.

And again, I'm not someone who hates the US, I don't see any reason why an American-based coach should be looked down on for their background, but the reality is we were always going to get Glass in because Cormack already knew him and the stuff he's come out with about American coaches is just some spin to justify his decision.

Some good points and very interesting to hear from someone with first hand experience. We will just have to wait and see. Don't forget though, Stephen Glass played almost his entire career in the SPL and the EPL so he has had his footballing education here.

7 hours ago, tup1 said:

This Atlanta crowd didn't even exist when the Dons were conquering Europe.

We should play them and see who wins. 

This was supposed to be happening until COVID hit. Hopefully we will get a couple of pre-season friendlies with them this year, if we are allowed. It would be worth a lot of money to us!

On 24/03/2021 at 02:45, sancho_panza said:

At a minimum the relationship with Atlanta isn't what Cormack has said it is. It looked to me like Gallagher was getting put in the team for non-footballing reasons as we had several players better than he was in the squad at the time. It absolutely looked to me like we signed Hernandez because of some deal with Atlanta because there's no way we're blowing £800,000 on a player our manager clearly didn't rate who then coincidentally ended up getting loaned to Atlanta. Now we've appointed one of their coaches as our manager.

This makes no sense. If Gallagher was put in for "non-footballing reasons", then why wasn't Hernandez?

Gallagher was actually one of Atlanta's better players last season under, funnily enough, Stephen Glass. At least, according to an Atlanta blog I read.

Also, what benefit is there to Atlanta in us enjoying one of their coaches? If he's a massive success and a big club in England come in for him, you think he's going to turn that down to go back to Atlanta? 

• Like 1