Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Killie v Dons

Sunday TV game this week with 12pm kick off. We have an amazing record against Killie not lost there if a fair few years. Thing is runs like that do end (although Real Sociedad have now gone 30 years without winning in Barcelona) and have a horrible feeling it might be this weekend. Fact Killie are on a rotten run just now just increases my bad feeling on the game. Ferguson is back from suspension and don’t think McCrorie’s kicks in until week after so we should be closer to playing strongest midfield this week. Would assume Main will continue as lone striker following his goals last week. 

oot 

panic Christmas Shopping 

TV

Flat

1-1 Main

Ha, I was away to do that this morning! Ah well, it's not like it's even two days out ;)

Agree, it would only seem fair to play Main given his goals last weekend and Cosgrove is clearly not fit (or interested).  I've given up trying to predict these things given how we were playing a few weeks back, but managed to keep a clean sheet last weekend so hopefully it's a sign of the form changing. It's actually quite kind of them to make this a 12o'clock kick off, tv and no fans. Saves us from going to Kilmarnock ?

Out
Bed
Bed
Bed
2-1 Dons, Hedges and Consi

2 hours ago, tup1 said:

Hedges once again tries to use his left foot when he had an open goal if he used his right foot, after Rogers saves Cosgrove’s effort.

This is unacceptable for a top level footballer and should have been coached out of him long before now.

Leave him alone, he's ace. He was probably expecting Sam to bury it like he should have.

Good to see Cosgrove scoring, he looked nervy when he came on with some poor touches. Although when it mattered, for both the missed chance and the red card his first touch is excellent setting himself up nicely, which isn't something I think we'll often see from Main (who had a decent game today). McLennan was good today, but also just lacked that composure near the goal. Good to see him playing well further up the pitch. A good game for us all round.

2 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Leave him alone, he's ace. He was probably expecting Sam to bury it like he should have.

Good to see Cosgrove scoring, he looked nervy when he came on with some poor touches. Although when it mattered, for both the missed chance and the red card his first touch is excellent setting himself up nicely, which isn't something I think we'll often see from Main (who had a decent game today). McLennan was good today, but also just lacked that composure near the goal. Good to see him playing well further up the pitch. A good game for us all round.

He also missed an open goal when the red card happened. He has no composure in scoring positions.

1 hour ago, tup1 said:

He also missed an open goal when the red card happened. He has no composure in scoring positions.

Maybe could have done better there but I think your being a bit harsh. Thats his 8th goal of the season? He's also our best creative player in general at the moment.

18 minutes ago, DantheDon said:

Maybe could have done better there but I think your being a bit harsh. Thats his 8th goal of the season? He's also our best creative player in general at the moment.

I'm also counting the one against Celtic in the semi final. If he could or would use his right foot he'd score a lot more. I'm not being harsh, more frustrated that he gets into good positions and constantly tries to switch on to his stronger foot, this is something a primary school footballer would do.

His goal was also a total fluke and probably an own goal IMO.

1 hour ago, tup1 said:

I'm also counting the one against Celtic in the semi final. If he could or would use his right foot he'd score a lot more. I'm not being harsh, more frustrated that he gets into good positions and constantly tries to switch on to his stronger foot, this is something a primary school footballer would do.

His goal was also a total fluke and probably an own goal IMO.

It was on target, not an own goal. I have no problem with a player using his wrong foot if he can get his feet sorted out quick enough. I'd say either chance today was acceptable for a left foot, not so much the one against the tims. It's not something a primary school footballer, exclusively, would do though, it's rife in the modern game at all levels. Weirdly, it seems to be much more of an issue for left than right footers. It's fairly regular to see a left footer with a fantastic technique on their left, with a right that just hangs there. It's like they shape their bodies the wrong way in order to get more action on the ball but struggle to pivot onto their pish foot. Robson was gash on his right, Mulgrew was only latterly at the Tims acceptable on his right. Hedges is actually okay on his right but he just seems to approach the ball with his body already opened up. Would be difficult to coach out now.

6 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

It was on target, not an own goal. I have no problem with a player using his wrong foot if he can get his feet sorted out quick enough. I'd say either chance today was acceptable for a left foot, not so much the one against the tims. It's not something a primary school footballer, exclusively, would do though, it's rife in the modern game at all levels. Weirdly, it seems to be much more of an issue for left than right footers. It's fairly regular to see a left footer with a fantastic technique on their left, with a right that just hangs there. It's like they shape their bodies the wrong way in order to get more action on the ball but struggle to pivot onto their pish foot. Robson was gash on his right, Mulgrew was only latterly at the Tims acceptable on his right. Hedges is actually okay on his right but he just seems to approach the ball with his body already opened up. Would be difficult to coach out now.

Yes you’re maybe correct about left footers. Robertson did it against Serbia.

Its such an obvious flaw that Hedges should be working on it every day in training. He can’t surely be that bad with his right foot so it seems more of a psychological issue. He had to change his body shape to hit it with his left after the Cosgrove chance so clearly he considers his left to be his only useful foot. 

It would be easy for a decent coach to remedy that. It’s costing us too many times. You’re right in that his goal was on target but it was never going in the net until the deflection helped him massively. The rules say it’s his goal but to me that’s a clear own goal.

It might seem harsh on Hedges but to me he could push on and be a real star. His contribution is good, but it could be stellar if he became more two footed. I’m wary of being overly critical but it keeps happening that he is using his wrong foot.

1 hour ago, tup1 said:

It might seem harsh on Hedges but to me he could push on and be a real star. His contribution is good, but it could be stellar if he became more two footed. I’m wary of being overly critical but it keeps happening that he is using his wrong foot.

Yep, there's no way Wales manager Ryan Giggs would accept a one footed left pegger in his team.

Edited by RicoS321

On 21/12/2020 at 10:36, RicoS321 said:

Good enough for me. Manc, can you remove the goal from Hedges' tally and award it to future dons' centre half Stuart Findlay?

Or, as BBC have done, completely erase the game completely:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/aberdeen/scores-fixtures/2020-12?filter=results

Finally got round to watching the highlights, decent finish from Cosgol for that: