Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

January 2021 Transfer Window.

1 hour ago, tup1 said:

Well if you were an alien, and landed on planet earth, and were told we play when the grass doesn’t grow, and have a break when it does, you would think it absurd. The wrong way round.

The obsession with winter football in Scotland is complete madness. It’s designed to accommodate summer holidays for already pampered footballers.

I don’t think climate change makes any difference. The grass does not grow in winter. The answer is obvious.

I thought the obsession with winter football is down to the SFA etc thinking it will make scottish football look weak if they follow the example of Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Ireland, Estonia, Finland, Latvia etc and it will disadvantage the OF in European competition.

Russia decided to switch to winter football back in 2011 supposedly in a bid to be more competitive in the Champions & Europa leagues but as far as im aware it hasn't made much (if any) difference. CSKA Moscow (2005) &  Zenit St Petersburg (2008) are the only clubs to win a european trophy (1 Europa League/ UEFA cup each + 1 super cup) and both did it while playing summer football. 

8 hours ago, tom_widdows said:

I thought the obsession with winter football is down to the SFA etc thinking it will make scottish football look weak if they follow the example of Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Ireland, Estonia, Finland, Latvia etc and it will disadvantage the OF in European competition.

Russia decided to switch to winter football back in 2011 supposedly in a bid to be more competitive in the Champions & Europa leagues but as far as im aware it hasn't made much (if any) difference. CSKA Moscow (2005) &  Zenit St Petersburg (2008) are the only clubs to win a european trophy (1 Europa League/ UEFA cup each + 1 super cup) and both did it while playing summer football. 

I thought it was their paralysis of mind over what to do every twenty years that Scotland qualify for a tournament. I think there was also the argument that folk had better things to do in the summer than watch fitba. Certainly debatable, but could easily be remedied by moving more kick offs to evenings. I'd be all for it, but they'd have to do it properly and sell it as an entire package of changes around levelling up the game, SPFL TV, 16 team league etc etc. Our current thinkers would limply push it out to avoid hearts getting relegated or some shite.

34 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Watkins not returning to Pittodrie unfortunately.

Next please

Football we are playing has got a lot worse since he and Wright got injured. Need to bring in another striker as Edmundson, Main and Cosgrove are all very similar and don’t fit the style we were playing in September and October.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dean-holden-confirms-marley-watkins-4829674

Shame about Watkins, his movement is exactly what we need up front. However it would be great if we could identify a player that can do that side of the game well and chip in with more goals as well. Watkins was never really a goalscorer and as much as the football was good with him in the team I feel that to go up a level we need a natural finisher in the team as well. 

That said I appreciate that it is hard get such a player.

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Brophy rumours doing the rounds. Fits the McInnes strategy. Player who's fans think is shite but once had a good game against us.

My thoughts exactly when I saw the rumour on twitter. He was a decent prospect a year or so ago but can’t say I’ve seen anything since to suggest he’s what we want or need. So I expect confirmation by Tuesday then 

1 hour ago, manc_don said:

My thoughts exactly when I saw the rumour on twitter. He was a decent prospect a year or so ago but can’t say I’ve seen anything since to suggest he’s what we want or need. So I expect confirmation by Tuesday then 

He's a much better footballer than Main. Probably about the same in terms of finishing. He'd be an upgrade on Main I suppose. Better than Edmondson too. I'd put him on a par with May. If we get rid of Edmondson and Main then it's a good signing. If we get money for Cosgrove then we should be looking for better.

39 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

He's a much better footballer than Main. Probably about the same in terms of finishing. He'd be an upgrade on Main I suppose. Better than Edmondson too. I'd put him on a par with May. If we get rid of Edmondson and Main then it's a good signing. If we get money for Cosgrove then we should be looking for better.

It's a sad day when those players are the reasons for an urgent upgrade.  We need someone far more clinical but those are very hard to come by in Jan

3 hours ago, manc_don said:

Also seen rumours of GMS re-signing...would absolutely stink of a DM signing. Thought he’d have pissed off enough folk the way he effectively downed tools when he decided he was off to fail in the MLS?

It all depends which GMS turns up. Need him to perform consistently as when he is on his game he is unplayable. However the drop off when he is not at his best is remarkable and he is a waste of the jersey on those days. Suppose if he was consistent he would not be a potential signing for us.

4 hours ago, manc_don said:

Also seen rumours of GMS re-signing...would absolutely stink of a DM signing. Thought he’d have pissed off enough folk the way he effectively downed tools when he decided he was off to fail in the MLS?

That's a bit harsh. 

The team lacks creativity. So for me it's a good signing as he can beat defenders and create chances, unlike Hayes, McGinn and Kennedy at the moment.

3 hours ago, tup1 said:

That's a bit harsh. 

The team lacks creativity. So for me it's a good signing as he can beat defenders and create chances, unlike Hayes, McGinn and Kennedy at the moment.

Hayes had several good crosses in the first half of the utd game, but there was nobody there. GMS is an entertaining player to watch, and with that comes inconsistency as we see in Wright. He would absolutely have spotted the McGinn option when three on two that Kennedy failed to against utd that's for sure. The only downside to GMS is that McInnes will contrive to keep Wright out of the team in his place, because one creative player is the maximum. He'll fuck them both about ensuring neither gets a chance to settle, moving them around, throwing then into a defensive role and so on. But I'd be happy to see him back, as he's fantastic to watch on his day.

The problem with Hayes is he now tries to cross without beating the man in front of him, he has lost some of the explosiveness he had previously. Crosses from outside the 18 yard line are usually no use.

GMS is a great player, for free it makes sense.

Great player on his day but doesn’t do it anywhere near enough imo (mainly against hibs). I think the wright point is a big one, he has a chance to develop properly and I think GMS coming back would stop that. Just strikes as being unimaginative as per from DM. Think I read somewhere he’s brought eight players back? Must be some sort of record.

26 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Great player on his day but doesn’t do it anywhere near enough imo (mainly against hibs). I think the wright point is a big one, he has a chance to develop properly and I think GMS coming back would stop that. Just strikes as being unimaginative as per from DM. Think I read somewhere he’s brought eight players back? Must be some sort of record.

Most managers don't last long enough to bring players back. Overall it's been a fairly fruitful policy. Hayes, McGinn have been successes and I'd argue Taylor too (through gritted teeth, he's had more good games than bad). GMS was very good just before he left, playing with freedom and drive and working very hard. When McInnes brings someone back it is usually quite obvious if they'll be good or not. It was blatantly obvious that Wilson and Stewart were pish before they left and would be pish on their return. Hayes has always been a professional, and McGinn too. Unlike guys like Ross at Hibs, McInnes doesn't have a pool of players down south that he has recent experience of watching because he's been here for so long. Manager's recruitment will always tail off the longer they've been at a club, as they can't be in two places at once and guys they saw years back are no longer useful targets. If a player has left the club on a high, then getting them back is far less risky than spending on scouted options like Ojo. In my mind it should be viewed no differently to players who have been good at other clubs, gone down South, failed and then we sign. Why would GMS be different to McGeouch or McGinn first time round in that regard? Both successful, proven SPFL players.