Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

January 2021 Transfer Window.

First of the rumours for upcoming transfer window. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/ross-stewart-targeted-aberdeen-derek-23162242

Stewart meets all our requirements in a striker - big, strong and does not score many goals. 

Campbell has impressed in games I have seen him in but would be surprised if he does not have offers from clubs in England. 

Can't see us realistically getting Campbell unless someone is leaving for decent money and even then I'd imagine he'll have offers from English Championship which we'll be unable to compete with financially as Jute as already stated

Stewart, I'm just a little non plussed about. Not exactly a prolific goal scorer but competent enough from what I've seen of him. To be honest would probably be more excited about Watkins coming in on a permanent as think he would add more to the side overall. Any striker coming in surely means one going out. Take your pick on Cosgrove or Main.

Edit: P.S Also on the striker front, would doubt we'll see Anderson having any future and out of contract at season end, so likely to be offski

Seems to be a fair amount of chatter on twitter re: Hernandez being sold in Jan. This wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, but still, haven't seen where it's come from and will be one of the weirdest transfers our club will ever see.  

I'm guessing it was hinted at rather than spelt out at the AGM?

30 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Seems to be a fair amount of chatter on twitter re: Hernandez being sold in Jan. This wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, but still, haven't seen where it's come from and will be one of the weirdest transfers our club will ever see.  

I'm guessing it was hinted at rather than spelt out at the AGM?

"Sold" would suggest a fee. No chance anyone's paying money for him, he'll be shipped out. Unless Atlanta stump the cash for their mistake.

2 minutes ago, Jute said:

Also seeing suggestions that the accounts confirm a loan of GBP 1m made the day he was signed. 

I got the impression that the signing was for Atlanta's benefit rather than ours. They can have him. Weird partnership, us and Atlanta, I don't like it.

24 minutes ago, tom_widdows said:

Have the dons ever signed a south american player who was actually a success or even average?

Juan Cobian (Lord Lucan)
David González (Up there with Bertrand Bossu and Tony Warner)
Ronald Hernandez (Lord Lucan the 2nd)

Fernando Pasquinelli was another we had from South America who never really worked out. 

1 hour ago, tup1 said:

This should be the first and last time we let these clueless yanks tell us who to sign.

Hopefully the extent of the mistake will make them wisen up a little. It was bordering on a money laundering scam, such was the ridiculous cost for such an obvious dud. 

To take us that far out of our normal price range (nearly double what we paid for May, and he was a huge risk) was completely reckless. It risked completely undermining the squad, especially when you factor in just how crap he was. Imagine the other players seeing this guy turning up in training with that price tag (and I'm assuming associated wage) and being horse shit? On one hand we were lucky that he was that dire, the players probably quickly moved from resentment to feeling sorry for him. 

It's no use Cormack doing these one sided updates, serious questions need to be asked about how this happened. Somebody who clearly has zero understanding of the Scottish game was involved in this, and they're exactly the type of idiot that would promote an Atlantic league.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Hopefully the extent of the mistake will make them wisen up a little. It was bordering on a money laundering scam, such was the ridiculous cost for such an obvious dud. 

To take us that far out of our normal price range (nearly double what we paid for May, and he was a huge risk) was completely reckless. It risked completely undermining the squad, especially when you factor in just how crap he was. Imagine the other players seeing this guy turning up in training with that price tag (and I'm assuming associated wage) and being horse shit? On one hand we were lucky that he was that dire, the players probably quickly moved from resentment to feeling sorry for him. 

It's no use Cormack doing these one sided updates, serious questions need to be asked about how this happened. Somebody who clearly has zero understanding of the Scottish game was involved in this, and they're exactly the type of idiot that would promote an Atlantic league.

Aye, Dave Cormack.

He's enthusiastic, and has a set of teeth that could eat neeps through a venetian blind, but he doesn't really have a clue about football. Nor do any of these other Atlanta dudes. 

It's actually a sad day for our once proud game when we are taking advice on it from Americans. Let's not forget they are and always have been terrible at football. 

On a human level think he has been treated poorly (am sure he knows hes going) but its not been handled well, did DM said he hasnt seen his family for over a year, then why bring him here, as Rico stated a shambles although am not sure he is a 'dud' .

Lets not pretend this is a one off  Gleeson, Forrester, Bryson, May , Ojo, Wilson , Maynard ... that being said recent signings have been far better

To be honest, I'm not sure either that the label of "dud" is entirely justified

This is a young guy who has close to twenty full caps for a national team that is currently twenty places above Scotland in the rankings.

The lad clearly has something about him and I actually feel sorry for him given how things have panned out.

There are however, as others have stated, burning questions about this whole affair that do require answers and sooner rather than later. (Could be interesting when the DNA cap get passed around next otherwise)

I hope some how we get out of this unscathed financially and wish Ronnie nothing but success in his career wherever that takes him.

1 hour ago, ayrshire_don74 said:

On a human level think he has been treated poorly (am sure he knows hes going) but its not been handled well, did DM said he hasnt seen his family for over a year, then why bring him here, as Rico stated a shambles although am not sure he is a 'dud' .

Lets not pretend this is a one off  Gleeson, Forrester, Bryson, May , Ojo, Wilson , Maynard ... that being said recent signings have been far better

I agree, however I think the two need to be separated into their distinct failures. I've said for years that recruitment needs to be removed from McInnes, as he already has too much responsibility at the club. We should be targeting a 50-60% success rate in signings, accepting that not all of them will work out. I accept guys like Ojo and Bryson, not gleeson, Maynard and Wilson (second time) and definitely not tansey, storey etc. May is borderline as a player, but we definitely massively overpaid. Overall, there's enough mistakes in there to justify the segregation of recruitment like they do at the Tims and Huns, with the manager simply getting the final say. 

That doesn't mean you subcontract to a bunch of clueless yanks however, there's a happy medium here. McInnes' mistakes were all comfortably within budget, he didn't bring in any Megabucks superstars (maybe Wilson first time round?), or break the bank on transfer fees. It was a sensible strategy, badly executed. These guys seem to be winging it on championship manager. Hernandez simply didn't fit our signing profile and showed a complete lack of competence and strategy.

13 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I agree, however I think the two need to be separated into their distinct failures. I've said for years that recruitment needs to be removed from McInnes, as he already has too much responsibility at the club. We should be targeting a 50-60% success rate in signings, accepting that not all of them will work out. I accept guys like Ojo and Bryson, not gleeson, Maynard and Wilson (second time) and definitely not tansey, storey etc. May is borderline as a player, but we definitely massively overpaid. Overall, there's enough mistakes in there to justify the segregation of recruitment like they do at the Tims and Huns, with the manager simply getting the final say. 

That doesn't mean you subcontract to a bunch of clueless yanks however, there's a happy medium here. McInnes' mistakes were all comfortably within budget, he didn't bring in any Megabucks superstars (maybe Wilson first time round?), or break the bank on transfer fees. It was a sensible strategy, badly executed. These guys seem to be winging it on championship manager. Hernandez simply didn't fit our signing profile and showed a complete lack of competence and strategy.

Thats fair .. hope the lad gets a break and furthers his career