Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dons v Victim FC - Match Thread (Sunday 25/10)

22 minutes ago, Dandy_Don said:

So does Cosgrove start next week?

If he's fit, he should start. Not sure he will be though. Had three shots on goal when he came on, Edmondson had none and did very little. Cosgrove just a way better player. Still not convinced by Edmondson yet like, despite a good game against accies. He's far from pish though, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if Cosgrove wasn't fit. I'd probably rather Cosgrove came off the bench if he's not fully fit. Once we're three up.

Just saw the goals. Poor defending from Ash on both Celtic’s first two goals, then Hoban a little unfortunate on the penalty, although most including me would blast Ash if he gave away that penalty! Two clear penalties for us, and a nice run from Wright with Hedges getting Sam’s rebound. 

How did we play? Given we scored 3, was it a completely different approach to previous Celtic games, on did we sit in for much of the game? I’m assuming not??

Bbc gave hedges man of the match, but wright to this point has the highest ratings. Good for both of them, their confidence must be sky high these days, although I still feel DM doesn’t seem to manage Wright that well, knowing he’s such a confidence player. BBC also make a comment that sounds like it’s now 17 penalties in a row now. Glad Ferguson took the second one today even though Sam was on the park. He really has huge stones for such a young player. Also sounds like mccrorie had a quiet game?

Should give us plenty of encouragement for the semi. Also gives Sam another week to get fitter and, yes, I start him next week. He definitely gives defenders something more to think about, which should allow more space for Wright, Hedges, Hayes etc., although were we more long ball today with Sam back?

9 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

Just saw the goals. Poor defending from Ash on both Celtic’s first two goals, then Hoban a little unfortunate on the penalty, although most including me would blast Ash if he gave away that penalty! Two clear penalties for us, and a nice run from Wright with Hedges getting Sam’s rebound. 

How did we play? Given we scored 3, was it a completely different approach to previous Celtic games, on did we sit in for much of the game? I’m assuming not??

Bbc gave hedges man of the match, but wright to this point has the highest ratings. Good for both of them, their confidence must be sky high these days, although I still feel DM doesn’t seem to manage Wright that well, knowing he’s such a confidence player. BBC also make a comment that sounds like it’s now 17 penalties in a row now. Glad Ferguson took the second one today even though Sam was on the park. He really has huge stones for such a young player. Also sounds like mccrorie had a quiet game?

Should give us plenty of encouragement for the semi. Also gives Sam another week to get fitter and, yes, I start him next week. He definitely gives defenders something more to think about, which should allow more space for Wright, Hedges, Hayes etc., although were we more long ball today with Sam back?

Bit harsh on Ash to be honest, they're first goal was class, really quick feet from McGregor. Their second was down to McRorie getting drawn in to the ball unnecessarily, leaving his man in acres. Ash obviously partly at fault for both like, he doesn't get off with it, but just not wholly to blame. I have to admit when I was watching the pen I had already blamed Taylor before noticing it was Hoban that gave it away!

In terms of the overall approach, I'd say they got a lot less easy ball than in previous games. We pressed them quite well from the start and didn't give them any easy passes. They still moved it around without much difficulty but not in areas that would trouble us. They might as well not have had a left side, nor us a right side as the two largely cancelled each other out. If anything, I'd say Hayes gave frimpong far too much space on their right, sitting way off him. I assume it was tactical, but it was a dangerous approach given Christie was on that side too. They got a number of - thankfully shite - crosses in from there.

Cosgrove only played 30 minutes ish, and we didn't really change as Wright came on at the same time. I don't believe it's Cosgrove that makes us play long ball anyway, I think it's the lack of movement in midfield and there is plenty of that when Hedges and Wright are on the pitch. I think we'll see a much better Cosgrove with players in and around him. 

3 hours ago, Elgindon said:

Pace be better at Hampden? Watkins up front?

In the after match interview McInnes said it was a hamstring issue which doesn't sound promising...hopefully it's just a tightening of the hammie and not a strain.  He also said Edmondson took a "sore one"...being bundled in the running track and up against the hoardings would be fairly sore!

Just watched the highlights and have to say that was some run by Wright and pass to hedges which lead to our third. Also a great ball from Watkins to Fergus for our opener.

Thought out tactics were pretty spot on today, but I do think McRorie is wasted at right wing back and thought we looked better after Mcgeoch went off.

Taylor did as is expect but has to be said they were two great finishes by Celtic for those goals and they hurt us when the exploited that extra space as we were more open at that point. Moving McRorie to the back is the only way to solve it, but he is better in midfield.

Sam was unlucky not to score and despite being critical of him, I am looking forward to seeing what he does in this line up.

Watching Celtic they are really poor at the back and wouldn't be surprised to see them make a move for Hoban, who despite giving away a pen is clearly our best defender and looks better than anything they currently have.

More of the same next week would do nicely with a win at the end please.

If we are set up to play like we did first half then keep Wright on the bench and bring him on second half when we open more as he is more than capable of running at them with the ball and making something out of nothing. I suspect McLennan or Kennedy will be at RWB and Sam will start up front with Hedges supporting allowing us McRorie, Fergie and Mcgeoch (if fit) in the middle. I wouldn't use Ojo in a three if Mcgeoch is not fit.

I suspect having no fans at Hampden will suit us more than them too, but will still be a huge ask for us and will have to work harder than we did yesterday to get this one over the line and hope Taylor got his fuck ups out of the way yesterday.