Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Liam Burt

Do you think it's a fear of missing out thing? He's 21, so it's not like he can sit in our reserves. I'm guessing he's decent though and that's why we're considering him, making sure that nobody else can sign him. There's competition for places, then there's a breeding ground for discontent. We simply can't afford to have Ferguson, McRorie, McGeouch, Ojo, Campbell, Gallagher and another player going for two places that are going to be taken most weeks by two players. Unless two of those leave in January, which is unlikely at present, then we'll have a lot of dissatisfied players. The only thing would be if we signed him and then immediately loaned him out for the rest of the season, but I don't think that is even possible just now? Hopefully it's just a favour to an agent or something, to give the lad some training opportunity.

6 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Do you think it's a fear of missing out thing? He's 21, so it's not like he can sit in our reserves. I'm guessing he's decent though and that's why we're considering him, making sure that nobody else can sign him. There's competition for places, then there's a breeding ground for discontent. We simply can't afford to have Ferguson, McRorie, McGeouch, Ojo, Campbell, Gallagher and another player going for two places that are going to be taken most weeks by two players. Unless two of those leave in January, which is unlikely at present, then we'll have a lot of dissatisfied players. The only thing would be if we signed him and then immediately loaned him out for the rest of the season, but I don't think that is even possible just now? Hopefully it's just a favour to an agent or something, to give the lad some training opportunity.

I did wonder if this was maybe a favour to an agent as seems odd to be brining in yet another central midfield player. Nothing to lose by giving lad look over I suppose.

Of the midfielders we have, I'd get shot of Ojo as soon as possible. Campbell needs a loan like Anderson, to prove himself in a less pressured environment.

Not sure what the story with Gallagher is. Never seen him play.

I also suspect Ferguson will leave for England soon.

So with all that in mind, maybe signing a player for the future is not a bad idea.

2 hours ago, wee toon red said:

This boy Burt intrigues me. 3 appearances for the Huns but released a couple of years ago and snapped up by the Tims, which suggests he must have something about him. But to be released again after a year means there's potentially something wrong as well, attitude maybe?

I think it was an airse injury. Struggled a lot with injury basically. Perfect for us. I actually mean that genuinely, there are a lot of young players get regular injuries and then go on to have few later on.

5 hours ago, wee toon red said:

This boy Burt intrigues me. 3 appearances for the Huns but released a couple of years ago and snapped up by the Tims, which suggests he must have something about him. But to be released again after a year means there's potentially something wrong as well, attitude maybe?

I imagine it is also just difficult to break into celtics first team at the moment. They have a very established central midfield. But I could say the same about us. 

If he is a good player and can improve what we have then get him in and worry about the surplus players later, no harm in having a look

I am sure a few players will be off at some point when they can, but the competition should be improving the performances of them all.

I do worry about where our own kids are going to get a chance with such a big squad especially Campbell, who is badly needing games and do we actually have any kids on our books who are worthy of some game time?