Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪️🔴

Europa league qualifier - dons vs NSI Runavik

Started to worry McInnes outsmarted himself with too many changes and formation change, but after the first goal it became really apparent they were shit. Much like last year with the impressive early European result, it’s all relative. Shout out to Hayes and hedges for two very good goals.

Still worry about to much chopping and changing of line ups and formations. We have two games a week for the most part so the bigger squad is definitely needed, but McInnes isn’t over good at managing form and squad rotation. Who knows what we’ll see against hibs, but we get info on potential suspensions for the covid 8 tomorrow, correct? Much like last year, we have good attacking players so really don’t need to play defensive tactics in league games, and that includes against the old firm. Lastly, mccrory strolled through this one, liking that guy!

Edited by LA-Don

A lot of good performances. As has been pointed out it was made a bit easy for them. But, was good to see two fringe players Dylan McGeouch and Scott Wright both stand out.

McGeouch playing just ahead of the three-man defence dictated everything. Quite often we're slow and ponderous when trying to play out from the back but he was good at constantly keeping the ball moving, switching the ball from side to side, picking out Hayes and Kennedy out wide, and also coming forward with the ball too and trying to pick holes through the channels.

Likewise, Wright was good at coming deep and linking play, or being that extra man in the box to drag a marker out. Think it was Hedges second goal - my mind is maybe playing tricks but sure Kennedy picked him out, he  passed back to Hedges who had space on the edge of the box to shoot. Really nice play.

Anderson when he came on played more like a midfielder. I only remember him being in the box once. He was coming down to the halfway line, making passes then getting ready to make runs from deep.

Seems to be much more fluidity to Aberdeen's play this season. We've been a boring team to watch at times and apart from the second half against Livingston we've not been much fun in the league this season either, but slowly you can see a few encouraging things happening.

6-0 is never to be sniffed at regardless of who it is we are playing. Players got a run out. scored a few goals and build up the confidence.

Possibly the injuries to Cosgrove and Main mean we have to play a different way, which may help us get more out of the squad.

Winning has never really been a problem under McInnes, but hopefully this season we can combine winning with playing a better style of football.

Bring on Hibs.

Superb hat trick from Hedges....tap in, a screamer and a penalty.

As I said during the St Johnstone game, Hedges is a capable player and one that on form can get the fans off their seats.

Hopefully taking confidence from his start to the season

6 hours ago, Panda said:

Seems to be much more fluidity to Aberdeen's play this season. We've been a boring team to watch at times and apart from the second half against Livingston we've not been much fun in the league this season either, but slowly you can see a few encouraging things happening.

I wouldn't read a whole lot into that, given the opposition last night. The Livingston game was an improvement, but not what I'd call fluid. 

What is interesting is that we've now got a potential back three, which McInnes has been attempting on and off for a few seasons now, unsuccessfully. The game is quite cyclical in regard to formations, and other teams seem to be adopting three at the back more regularly against us, giving us the opportunity to do similar. McRorie, and Hoban both fit comfortably within that. With Hayes being Hayes, the left wing back is sorted, with the jury still out on Kennedy. It does allow us the two forward players though, which is far more suited to our available players than a lone striker. I don't see Main as mobile enough to be a part of that as a first choice (in order to get the best of that formation), so I'd like to see hedges alongside Watkins to give us that real pace and movement when we get the ball. If McGeouch can sit deep alongside Ferguson, then Wright can fit in nicely ahead of them and given time to gel with the front two.

The large squad is worrying to me, as LA don mentioned, I don't think McInnes is great at rotation. He ends up just tinkering and nobody gets time to establish themselves.

We play much better football when Cosgrove is not in the team as there is no temptation to launch it forward.

Hedges looked good but I wish he would use his right foot more. He always turns on to his left. Easy to read if a defender has done his homework.

49 minutes ago, tup1 said:

We play much better football when Cosgrove is not in the team as there is no temptation to launch it forward.

Hedges looked good but I wish he would use his right foot more. He always turns on to his left. Easy to read if a defender has done his homework.

Our new signing is pretty good at not using his right foot!

image.png

40 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Mods, it's only when we copy and paste a pic into here that it duplicates (instead of click to choose files or drag and drop).

Nae sure how to stop it doing that.

But just went in and edited to remove the second image and worked fine.

32 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Nae sure how to stop it doing that.

But just went in and edited to remove the second image and worked fine.

It's a coding blip, a programming error that the people who built this App (and other Apps like it, as I see) need to know. If they're good people, they will appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to fix it. If they're lazy bastards they won't and if they're greedy cunts, they'll try to charge you for fixing their own mistakes! It's a generic formulaic App they've given you. They should want to know as other users will be finding the same.

Pasting a picture into the text box results in the pic being duplicated.

That's the only instruction they need. 

A very good result and an entertaining performance (after a bit of a turgid first half an hour or so). Good to see the team being allowed to continue attacking after going 2-0. I suspected than with Hibs less than 72 hours away, we might have been instructed to go into game management mode second half in order to save our legs for Easter Road. Of course the opposition were frankly woeful and any expectations have to be tempered against that. but scoring 6 goals is never to be sneezed at.
I'm in a bit of a minority amongst our supporters. I don't think we will pick up suspensions in the SFA hearing today....either they all get censured as to their future conduct or...at worst...suspensions that are suspended for 12 months with a net effect of no bans provided there is no repeat transgressions.

Bala and Viking both play on plastic pitches which would make an away tie a little more difficult. Bala haven’t started their season and Progres only played 1 league game so far. Viking are half way through their season and currently 10th 5 points off the relegation positions. Home tie again would be great but as long as we are professional should be putting all three of these teams away. 

Only an hours flight, might even do it on the cheap by booking the team onto the daily SAS service rather than chartering a flight. Only downside would mean returning on Friday morning rather than leaving right after the match ends.

Pleased to have avoided Bala away which would actually have been a bit of a nightmare as its in the middle of nowhere.....2 hour drive each way from either Liverpool or Manchester airports

15 minutes ago, Anthony said:

A good draw, I really didn't want to play away.

We'll have to put up with a shitty field.

Yeah plastic pitch will be a potential issue but as long as it’s a better standard than Livingston’s carpet then should be fine. 

3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Only an hours flight, might even do it on the cheap by booking the team onto the daily SAS service rather than chartering a flight. Only downside would mean returning on Friday morning rather than leaving right after the match ends.

Pleased to have avoided Bala away which would actually have been a bit of a nightmare as its in the middle of nowhere.....2 hour drive each way from either Liverpool or Manchester airports

Doubt the club will risk putting the squad on a scheduled public flight. That would be an uncontrolled environment in which they could contract COVID-19. Less risk chartering a flight.