Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

'The Rocket' winning 2020 World Championship

SeeBass

Don't know if any of you watched the Snooker last fortnight or so but I enjoyed it without the crowd.  When a phone goes off while a player is on said shot or somebody is trying to take a picture it does BOIL MY BLOOD!!  I've only been a proper Ronnie O'Sullivan fan since shortly before 2012 World Championships and got (8/1) on him when winning that year and then again as he defended title 2013 (£12.50 e/w 1-2, 1/2 odds both times) after a whole season off tour.  Usually been the favourite between 2015 and 2019 so haven't done guy much since.  Just do a tournament like The Masters (picked up winnings at (7/2) 2014 Mark Selby and (3/1) 2016 Barry Hawkins but missed out 2017 Joe Perry as pretty much stopped betting for two years) or UK Championship (got (100/30) 2014 Judd Trump Final, (4/1) 2017 Shaun Murphy Final, (3/1) 2018 Mark Allen Final) which I can watch throughout without needing SKY and never go above a £30 stake. 

Does the fact he had none of said razzmatazz where a normal Crucible atmosphere concerned devalue his achievement Sunday evening??????  As seen below secured (9/2) on him November 2019 which I'm obviously delighted with despite a small £92.81 profit. 

Genuis!!!!!!.jpg

On 21/08/2020 at 17:34, rocket_scientist said:

Fit wye?

As you may not understand, as in my recollection from many years ago, you may be England-based (Middlesbrough?), why do you consider Ronald to be a less-than-savoury chap? Love the cunt masel. 

Stockton-on-Tees now, moving up in the world. 

The Rocket is an arrogant arsehole. When he is winning, he tries his best to come across as charming, but his jokes fall flat and he truly has the personality of a nonce who has been snared in a Facebook sting. 

When he is losing, he throws his toys out the pram, and more often than not, threatens to retire. 

No doubt he is a great player though, but the world would be no worse a place if he was to disappear from the face of the planet.

Most people are losers and are therefore unable to understand the mindset of winners. Many resent the successful simply because they reflect what they themselves are not, spectacularly unsuccessful in some cases. Jealousy and envy are destructive forces.

Just like losers have many different strings, winners are also cut from different cloths but there are common threads and themes within a group of either. The interpretation of arrogance is a common reason for finding winners uncouth, or "ungentlemanly" (WTF?), or distasteful. Bob Rotella wrote (in his book 15th club) that winners such as Tiger and Annika used to wear a mask of humility so as not to "antagonize" people. "Arrogance" is necessary to win, which in reality is a ruthlessness in self-belief and an aspect that I now call "cunt".

It was about 10 years after I first heard this that it sunk in, and only after I started working with winners on a big enough scale. A hugely talented young Kiwi golfer at our place in Melbourne over 25 years ago was described to me as "not having enough cunt about him", which I thought was a sick and twisted thing to even think, let alone say. I now know that he was 100% correct and being successful in running his own business at the time, he knew the essential need for ruthlessness.

Reactions to losing however can be the bigger indicator of an arsehole. I don't know snooker and I've not seen the boy in action for at least a decade so not qualified to comment either way. 

40 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Eric "Crafty Cockney" Bristow springs to mind as another example

Nah, he was just a dick! He looked like a dick too, which I think doesn't help his cause. He sounded like a dick ina. It's probably just basic anti-English xenophobia from me. I used to think similarly about Justin Rose, just with the look on his face, but then I heard a few interviews with him and he seemed like a humble gent. I'm guessing Rocket will know better about him in particular, but it shows that my impressions of people are often entirely arbitrary.

The difference is Ronnie isnae really a dick. He's had a lot of off-table issues and isn't afraid to speak his mind, but he really seems to be a nice sort. I expect that he'd let you persuade him why he was talking shite about something if you thought he was too, and likely the type that'd apologise for it too, so not really an arrogant sort (arrogant on the table perhaps, but that adds to the game). Like many of us, I think he lacks intelligence rather than humility, which is why it's so important to challenge people when they say something you disagree with. I expect Ronnie has rarely had that in the snookering world. I also have a huge amount of respect for his ability to be able to walk away from it. Here's an interview from the Guardian a few days back:

Guardian - ROS

43 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Eric "Crafty Cockney" Bristow springs to mind as another example

He's just a cockney cunt, some might say.

I think 360 was being unkind to our nonce brothers. To generalise them all as having the same personality is disingenuous and unfair. This is not my experience. But you don't know any nonces rocket? Well why does my youngest daughter call me a nonce then? That's just a term the kids use these days you tartan-troosered bufty fool. Fuck off, cunt. No you fuck off. Arse.

To be serious for a minute, or for more than ten, this is harrowing: -

I don't know Justin (just out, when he's putting bad) Rose but a famous golfer client of mine who's earned tens of millions from the game detests him. Another client who is in the same management company loves him. Can tell more from TV interviews and body language than we can from other people's opinions but even these are just impressions, not even worthy of being called opinions in most cases.