Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McInnes must go

20 hours ago, DantheDon said:

McInnes seems to be having a little bit of a dig at the board for the January dealings post match St Mirren. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55959970

Another sign that his and the boards relationship has soured.

He's probably right to. It was a debacle, that was overlooked because they could do the old Twitter show to create fake excitement. One thing under McInnes that vastly improved was our ability to make signings professionally and behind closed doors, but I expect Cormack prefers the drama. It sets any manager up for a fall, especially when they're scrabbling at the last minute getting loanees.

• Like 1

As per shill scott davie on sportsound appears DM is not cormacks man ?  As much as he maybe have a point re last minute signings, I have little sympathy

Main , he signed him and has been hopeless , likewise Ojo, Cosgrove, knew he was going so some form of succession planning should have been there. Anderson looks like is finished. Wright, scores hat trick few seasons back, doesnt get a lot of game time and has been mis managed.   I think to an extent he has been hoisted by his own petard

17 hours ago, sancho_panza said:

Paul Lambert looks like he's about to be sacked at Ipswich. Not saying that because I want him as a replacement, but I could see it happening - Scottish, could pass as a big name, at a low ebb in his career, no compensation required, etc.

And you forgot to add been a disaster at his last few jobs.
And he’s as thick as pig shite... and he’s an “Old Firm sycophant” who’d be in the “going for 3rd” camp. 

40 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

Someone like Frank Wormuth of Heracles Almelo would be a great manager for us I think.

Done amazing work.

Welcome aboard!

Interesting suggestion! Are you an Almelo resident? Agreed he has done really good work there and had some very credible results.  Tbh, I'm ready for a fresh approach, I don't think available Scottish talent is all that.

Thanks manc.

I'm no expert. Just had a wee look around and wondered what wages he was on.

We need someone who knows how to inspire the team and any manager who has taken a team from a lower division to the top obviously has the motivation skills.

He's also played against some big teams so has that experience to maybe beat the likes of Celtic and the rangers.

"We brought him back and sat down and said we were keen to get him playing first team football and come back to us next season.

"So every time he scores, it's not frustrating. It's a pleasure that the boy's doing well.

"I know it's a good story for people to throw at me, but we feel for his development, the best thing for him is to go through that loan process to try and get to the endgame.“

Is he aware that Anderson is out of contract at the end of the season?

21 minutes ago, Slim said:

"We brought him back and sat down and said we were keen to get him playing first team football and come back to us next season.

"So every time he scores, it's not frustrating. It's a pleasure that the boy's doing well.

"I know it's a good story for people to throw at me, but we feel for his development, the best thing for him is to go through that loan process to try and get to the endgame.“

Is he aware that Anderson is out of contract at the end of the season?

Wondered that when I heard the interview. Maybe they have already offered Anderson an new deal. 

He's a fucking dandy, nae like that cunt Wright. He'll do anything to play for the reds.

McInnes is right though, the player's best interest was to be playing first team football and he wasn't going to get that here. Regardless of whether he's here next season or not, it was right that he was loaned. It's a shame that he couldn't have had this particular move in August or last season. 

23 hours ago, RedStarTorphins said:

And you forgot to add been a disaster at his last few jobs.
And he’s as thick as pig shite... and he’s an “Old Firm sycophant” who’d be in the “going for 3rd” camp. 

Agreed,surprised he lasted so long in management. Reckon he lived off the "worked under O'Neill" label,til it wore off/got seen thru.

As Sancho says,doubt he'll be stuck for work via the old boys network....hopefully not with us

Edited by Elgindon

It would be madness to get rid of the manager.

Most will admit that we are unlikely to ever see another non old firm winner of the league.  Therefore realistically we are playing for third place each season unless something changes massively in how the prize money and tv money are split in this country.  Football has never been the same since 1995 when the Bosman ruling came in.  Money now determines how successful you can be.  That happened 19 seasons before McInnes was appointed and in those 19 seasons we managed 2 third place finishes.    

On the flip side, there is really very little between the team in third in our league and the team at the bottom and it is not unrealistic to say at the start of the season that any of the 10 non old firm clubs could finish in any order whatsoever.  Our club is only ever one bad season away from another relegation fight as we have seen in recent years from the two Edinburgh clubs.  Changing the manager is unlikely to make us any better but could make things 10 times worse than they are at the moment.  He will turn the form around if he gets the backing from the board and fans.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Most will admit that we are unlikely to ever see another non old firm winner of the league.  Therefore realistically we are playing for third place each season unless something changes massively in how the prize money and tv money are split in this country.  Football has never been the same since 1995 when the Bosman ruling came in.  Money now determines how successful you can be.  That happened 19 seasons before McInnes was appointed and in those 19 seasons we managed 2 third place finishes.    

On the flip side, there is really very little between the team in third in our league and the team at the bottom and it is not unrealistic to say at the start of the season that any of the 10 non old firm clubs could finish in any order whatsoever.  Our club is only ever one bad season away from another relegation fight as we have seen in recent years from the two Edinburgh clubs.  Changing the manager is unlikely to make us any better but could make things 10 times worse than they are at the moment.  He will turn the form around if he gets the backing from the board and fans.

Nobody is asking for us to win the league just compete when we play the Glasgow bigots. Most games are just abject surrender. If the budget is everything then we should be easily be beating rest of the teams below us as our wages are 4 or 5 times their’s yet Motherwell St Mirren and Livingston have all beaten us this season. Biggest complaint from me is the way we play. We have become murder to watch under McInnes and it’s been that way for two seasons now other than 6 weeks with Hedges Watkins and The Hun. 

Would say there is just as much chance of a new manager making us better as there is him making us worse. Is there a risk in changing manager of course there is but sometimes in life you have to take a risk to move forward. 

6 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Evening Derek 

51 minutes ago, Jute said:

Nobody is asking for us to win the league just compete when we play the Glasgow bigots. Most games are just abject surrender. If the budget is everything then we should be easily be beating rest of the teams below us as our wages are 4 or 5 times their’s yet Motherwell St Mirren and Livingston have all beaten us this season. Biggest complaint from me is the way we play. We have become murder to watch under McInnes and it’s been that way for two seasons now other than 6 weeks with Hedges Watkins and The Hun. 

Would say there is just as much chance of a new manager making us better as there is him making us worse. Is there a risk in changing manager of course there is but sometimes in life you have to take a risk to move forward. 

Agree 100% 

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Whether or not  McInnes was told to play a more entertaining brand of football at the start of the season,we did see that he is capable of it during that purple patch in Sept. How much was down to him,or a coincidental good mix of players at one time is debatable. We have to give him leeway for the horrific injuries and timings of departures. Its whether Mcinnes reverted to type as a result,or was/is it more the remaining players havnt got the collective gumption among them to attack effectively.

Jurys out on Hornby,but I like the look of Kamberi,..but we still need to get the mix right in the other areas .Doesnt look like were going to get rid of McInnes soon(barring disaster) so we might as well see what we can do with what weve got til the end of the season and make a decision then?

By the way,I was a McInnes out at the end of last seasons eye watering football,and the season before,but was happy to give him a bit more time after watching the early season stuff.Looking more like a false dawn,who knows...

Edited by Elgindon

4 hours ago, Jute said:

Jute I AM asking us to beat everyone and win the league.

That's the mindset problem.

We have all played sports against better players, teams and opposition.

I'm sure coaches of any sport around the world will endure their athletes to think they can beat anyone against all odds.

Leicester was a fluke but it can happen with belief and we don't have that.

Our problem for decades has been players of course not just management tactics.

But we dont seem to even try something new.

I still believe a mix of decent Scottish, British Isles and foreign players is the way forward.

We won't gamble on finding new players from Europe.

I was excited at Hernandez because it was a South American footballer and different. A guy who plays for a national team.

Then what happened?

The money is in European competition not Scotland so we must strive to be reaching group stages to then dominate our own league through money gained there.

The domestic cups are great if you win but we need to rebuild and recruit from elsewhere.

It's not a quick fix but at least it's a direction.

We are headless at the moment and will continue to be.

Come on Cormack show some love and balls.

8 hours ago, HaarDon said:

Jute I AM asking us to beat everyone and win the league.

That's the mindset problem.

We have all played sports against better players, teams and opposition.

I'm sure coaches of any sport around the world will endure their athletes to think they can beat anyone against all odds.

Leicester was a fluke but it can happen with belief and we don't have that.

Our problem for decades has been players of course not just management tactics.

It's a fairly reductive argument though, isn't it? We're not talking about McInnes here when you make this point, we're talking about every single manager in the last 36 years of Scottish football, at every club. The notion that all you have to do is "believe" that you can win the league and it'll happen is just stupid. But you're argument isn't even that, it's that not only do you need to believe, you also have to make the public/fans aware of that belief in order for it to work. It's not enough for McInnes to say to his players at the start of the season that they're going to win every game, that wouldn't work. 

The Leicester example is an anomaly in European football since the advent of the champions league. The financial gap between them and the rest of their league still wasn't anything like that in Scotland, and you have to assume that there is diminishing returns when you're "only" spending £25M on players as opposed to £100M. Even including that, ranieri's public statements were all the opposite of belief, as he consistently stated that his team would not win the league with the clichéd one game at a time mantra. 

I think European group stages would help reduce the gap between us and the scum. At present, McInnes has as good a chance as anyone of getting us there this season.

Hi Rico

I'm not saying it's about mcInnes just telling the players to win the league and it will happen.

I'm talking about the whole direction of the club.

We dont have any drive or ambition to change things.

That's fairly evident in the 'not bringing in players' to beat Deila THAT season, the laziness in the player recruitment, the returning of ex players, the lack of opportunity for young players who can actually score goals for other teams, the constant injuries we get, the apathy of players not busting a gut every game, 

Maybe I am expecting too much.

The return we got on Cosgrove and McKenna was superb of course but it's 2 players in a long long time.

Where are we going wrong?

At present, McInnes is capable but so am I in that sense with only a few games to go ha.

Edited by HaarDon

43 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

Hi Rico

I'm not saying it's about mcInnes just telling the players to win the league and it will happen.

I'm talking about the whole direction of the club.

We dont have any drive or ambition to change things.

That's fairly evident in the 'not bringing in players' to beat Deila THAT season, the laziness in the player recruitment, the returning of ex players, the lack of opportunity for young players who can actually score goals for other teams, the constant injuries we get, the apathy of players not busting a gut every game, 

Maybe I am expecting too much.

The return we got on Cosgrove and McKenna was superb of course but it's 2 players in a long long time.

Where are we going wrong?

At present, McInnes is capable but so am I in that sense with only a few games to go ha.

So what you're asking for, basically, is the club to spend out with its means. 

Celtic only lost to Motherwell in Ronnie's year. They finished eleven points higher than any other team has ever done outside of the scum. In my opinion we were three good players short that season (it wasn't even mcinnes' best dons team). That would have taken extremely accurate recruitment, or required signing five or six players to return three good ones. It would have changed our entire wage structure and club strategy in a single January window. Even with that, it would have still had a good chance of failure. I've no issue with that very high risk approach, it's the flippant nature of fans who suggest that it was some sort of open goal, mired in the suggestion that belief would get us there. I think it's fairly facile reasoning. 

Without this new fake European league pish next season, there was very little option for a club strategy to bridge the gap to the scum. Certainly not an overnight one. For me, there has only been one open goal in mcinnes' time, and that was the apollon game. A relatively small investment in a striker would have returned big.

So a cheap striker would have won us the Apollon game?

But not the league that year we were just behind Celtic and could have put enormous pressure on them with perhaps a decent cheap striker?

You sure we arent asking the same thing at different times?

I think the risk of spending on a couple of solid players was worth maybe winning the league that year and set us up for Champions League football which I doubt we will reach for about 20 years now.

Just my opinion. We will never know.

1 hour ago, HaarDon said:

So a cheap striker would have won us the Apollon game?

But not the league that year we were just behind Celtic and could have put enormous pressure on them with perhaps a decent cheap striker?

You sure we arent asking the same thing at different times?

I think the risk of spending on a couple of solid players was worth maybe winning the league that year and set us up for Champions League football which I doubt we will reach for about 20 years now.

Just my opinion. We will never know.

I didn't say a cheap striker, I said a relatively small investment. For 750K we'd have got Moult, and the rest of our team was good enough to see us through that fixture. That would have been an extra £350k over what we paid for May a week later (even May might have made a difference). The draw for the next round was already made and we could see there was just a crap Danish team between us and the group stages. It would have been a risk, still, but a known risk (we'd have likely got to Hampden in the league cup if we'd taken the risk too, mitigating even further).

So, no, we're not even in the same stratosphere when we're talking about investment. I'm talking about one single game, a cup final, you're talking about the investment required to turn Aberdeen into a team that could go on a fifteen game unbeaten run to finish above the tims. You're talking minimum three players, and a better striker than Moult at the time (the Tims had an on form Griffiths). Anything less than a couple of million in that January window and you'd have been as well pishing it up against a fence. That's the thing, you can't just do the half measure either, as that way you're guaranteeing you lose everything. You'd need to go all in and get the 3-5 players to make it happen, and you'd need to hope they settled in very fast. As I say, not impossible at all, but at least recognise the magnitude of the risk and stop treating it as some simple task against a weak side (that nobody else in the league could beat, Motherwell apart).