Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McInnes must go

1 hour ago, Jute said:

At most there would have been another minute. It was a pointless substitution by that time. 

I'm not defending it, I thought it was a shite sub, merely trying to explain it.

I agree with HD, his last five minute subs are frustrating. The McGeouch one was actually comparatively sensible, as it's a case of hoofing it to the big guys and hoping something falls, fine for a five minute spell when all else is lost. It's the introduction of a tricky winger or a small striker (Anderson) that he usually does which is most frustrating. The ones where the player clearly needs 10-15 minutes to get into the game, but McInnes decides to make the sub in the 82nd minute, taking a further 6 minutes to actually get the player on. I'd love to see the stats around McInnes substitution tactics. You'd see a very clear line around the time for the first sub (a good, early, attacking sub made yesterday to be fair), and another around the second, and they could be clearly plotted against scoreline. He's nothing if not predictable. So, actually, all things considered maybe the McGeouch one was okay - something different.

7 minutes ago, redordead said:

I'll just leave this here.

Congratulations to the saints.

Now tell me the McInnes era had been a success.

McInnes is the manager of the second (equal) most successful team this decade? Or are we both missing the point, in that it's an absolute indictment of Scottish football? I'm sure Craig Brown is telling somebody somewhere about McInnes' excellent "number of games won" record in the cup competitions. Saints seem to have managed to find themselves a couple of different ways to approach games that work, they're doing well at the moment, well done to them.

I don’t think he will leave until the summer but I am convinced that McInnes has already been told he won’t be here next summer and so have some of the players. They look like they are just going through the motions now. No urgency or fight from players or manager. 

1 minute ago, Jute said:

I don’t think he will leave until the summer but I am convinced that McInnes has already been told he won’t be here next summer and so have some of the players. They look like they are just going through the motions now. No urgency or fight from players or manager. 

I don’t believe he has been told that. Such is the way in modern life, it’s very difficult to keep that kind of thing quiet nowadays. 

2 hours ago, RedStarTorphins said:

I don’t believe he has been told that. Such is the way in modern life, it’s very difficult to keep that kind of thing quiet nowadays. 

I agree. He won't have been told that but I feel like he's considering moving on anyway and that's why his hearts not in it. Wouldn't surprise me if there is a mutual agreement in the summer for us to part ways. He should be able to pick up another job at a reasonable level as over the years he has done a good job generally.

7 hours ago, DantheDon said:

I agree. He won't have been told that but I feel like he's considering moving on anyway and that's why his hearts not in it. Wouldn't surprise me if there is a mutual agreement in the summer for us to part ways. He should be able to pick up another job at a reasonable level as over the years he has done a good job generally.

I would doubt that there is any mutual agreement in place, it'd be very unusual. It'll cost us, significantly, and that's a big part of why Cormack will be holding out. Quite rightly so. He'll take into account the effect on season ticket sales and act when the time is right. With Hibs making more of a cunt of it than us yesterday, third isn't strictly done yet, so he'll likely allow McInnes to fail as per the club's strategy, which might give them more leeway in any sacking (probably not). I think it's fairly important to allow that for the sake of the next appointment too, you really don't need any: "if we'd just given him a bit more time" opportunities (especially when McGhee returns for his glorious second spell). I'm assuming it'd be gardening leave for McInnes and Docherty, so we continue to pay them until they get work elsewhere, at which point we'll pay the difference between their current and new salaries for the season. I've heard varying degrees of speculation on McInnes' salary, but I don't believe them. I'm guessing, all in, we'd be looking at £300-500k for the pair of them. A couple of very good players, like Ojo and Forrester.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, redordead said:

I can't believe the easy ride  he's still getting in the press. So busy harping on about three Glasgow teams that they've let him fly under the radar.

The press are so utterly obsessed by events in Glasgow, we barely merit a mention in their eyes.

Besides they think we’re where we should be... knowing our place, challenging for tit bits in 3rd & 4th. 

You could put Guardiola in charge of the Dons and it wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference. Within 6 weeks he’d be slavering over finishing 3rd.

The Scottish league is done. Unless Cormack quickly grows balls and calls this out, he will never see another penny from me as I’ll consider him complicit.

Edited by tup1

41 minutes ago, tup1 said:

You could put Guardiola in charge of the Dons and it wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference. Within 6 weeks he’d be slavering over finishing 3rd.

The Scottish league is done. Unless Cormack quickly grows balls and calls this out, he will never see another penny from me as I’ll consider him complicit.

He is just a part of a board. He's responsible to shareholders. The one/only good thing about Romanov at hearts was that he was sole owner, and was willing to say what he thought. Unfortunately he was a charlatan too, with little understanding of Scottish football.

25 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

He is just a part of a board. He's responsible to shareholders. The one/only good thing about Romanov at hearts was that he was sole owner, and was willing to say what he thought. Unfortunately he was a charlatan too, with little understanding of Scottish football.

Isn't one of the problems with appointing a foreign manager that as soon as we hit a sticky patch, he'll be accused that he doesn't understand Scottish football 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dons8321 said:

Isn't one of the problems with appointing a foreign manager that as soon as we hit a sticky patch, he'll be accused that he doesn't understand Scottish football 

You can't try something new that would bring us more success.

It wouldn't agree with the Scottish psyche.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bearsdenred said:

I would love Mcormack get a hold of all the other teams in Scotland to get together en mass, form a new football league and kick Both Celtic and Rangers out of it. 

Let them have the SPL. We need a level playing field for all clubs for the future. Removing these 2 cuntish teams is the first hurdle. 

Who? 

12 hours ago, dons8321 said:

Possibly, I'm wasn't really talking about a manager though. In Romanov's case, I just meant that he was willing to speak out against the scum on occasion, but he didn't have a deep enough understanding for it to hit the mark, which was frustrating. It meant it was easily batted away, and filed under "crazy foreigner". As a dons fan, Cormack has enough experience of Scottish football to make a strong, evidence-based case, but it'd have to be a sustained, consistent attack on the setup backed with some of the ideas that exist in yank sport.

9 hours ago, HaarDon said:

I'd prefer us to remain in the SPL, be a far better team and beat these bastards.

Unless you attack the structure of the game in this country, you won't do that, that's the point. Tinkering with the manager isn't going to change that (I'm not saying: keep McInnes), we have 36 years of evidence spanning hundreds of managers (across the SPFL). We can see where we are on our current budget, with our best total of 76 points (when everything went right), low end 62ish. To get to 80 points consistently you're probably looking at double our budget, realistically, over several years. To do that, you either need a benefactor who you're beholden to in the English style, a massive intake of new revenue from all the hidden dandies out there waiting for a new stadium or whatever is holding them back since before Fergie was here, or Europa League football regularly at group stages (creating a three tier system in the SPFL as opposed to the current two). Once you're at that 80 points, you review the options then to see if there are avenues to take that up to 90, which might guarantee a few league wins. What it isn't, is an overnight project, and it's certainly not something a change in manager will bring about, it needs far more than that. We'll see what happens in the coming year with the shitey European changes, that could offer the new manager opportunity, but it will be through good fortune of timing rather than ability.

Good stuff. He can have no complaints. Did his best, with a lot of professionalism and has left the club in a significantly better position than when he started. He wasn't a disgrace by any stretch, and the club did the right thing by him, giving him every chance to succeed. 

Collins has just expressed an interest in the Tims job, so expect we'll do a McGhee scenario and offer him the dons job once he's heard back from them.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Good stuff. He can have no complaints. Did his best, with a lot of professionalism and has left the club in a significantly better position than when he started. He wasn't a disgrace by any stretch, and the club did the right thing by him, giving him every chance to succeed. 

Collins has just expressed an interest in the Tims job, so expect we'll do a McGhee scenario and offer him the dons job once he's heard back from them.

6-packs all round then

• Like 1