Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Predictions 20/21

Today was apparently our last pre-season friendly. So with seven days to go, what's everyone's predictions for how this season will go?

I think we'll be third, but hopefully not miles off the top two. I think back to the 1997/98 season when 10-in-a-row was the pre-season talk, and Hearts managed to get themselves in about it. They trailed off by the end but at least made a fist of it and won a cup. Would like to think Aberdeen could at least do the same - but don't for a minute think we have enough in us to actually win the thing. The empty stadiums might be a leveller though - and we're at Parkhead early on.

By default we should be stronger. We've only really lost Greg Leigh, and Jonny Hayes is an upgrade. McKenna or Cosgrove leaving could change things I suppose.

So many players last season were not fully fit - Ojo, Bryson, McGeouch. Kennedy took a while to settle. Hernandez obviously too. All of them this season should be in better shape. It's a bit of a cliche but Bryson and Hernandez are essentially new signings considering how little they played last season. Anderson too in a way.

I also have a funny feeling we might finally see off our Celtic Hampden hoodoo and take them in the semi. 

Europe - no idea, luck of the draw. 

But yeh, I'm optimistic. Too optimistic probably.

Hibs to be fourth. Can't see Motherwell being as strong this season. Ross County and St Mirren could be surprises. I actually think Dundee United could be in relegation trouble.

I reckon sacond is up for grabs with a sustained run of wins (which we havent really seen for a season or two).

Der hun will lose Mr G by Christmas and then take a sustained slump where even Livvy are beating them again.

I think Utd may have a half decent season - 6th?

other than that, I dont care :)

Really unsure how this season will go, given the lack of available information during the pre-season. Given we've kept most of the team, and added Hayes, i'd hope that we're in a reasonable situation. We should finish 3rd, can't see us getting above the hunnery unless they have a massive implosion (please let it be so).

Surprised to see Cosgrove and McKenna still with us, but I suppose there's still time? I'd only be happy for him and McKenna to go if we had suitable replacements lined up.

I'm going to say st. Mirren for the drop, only on the basis that I haven't got a clue about anyone else.

I’m always try to be optimistic. But at the same time it’s pretty much the same players who underachieved last year with a manager who doesn’t seem to get the best out of them. We were pretty brutal to watch last year too so why would it be different?

Get the best out of the players then I think we can get second and a cup, but the very first game will say a lot about the team, and manager. Do we have ago or is it the defensive timid counter attacking we know and hate?

Pretty much agree with most of what LA Don says above. These players, excluding Hayes, under McInnes produced some brutal football at times last season. We were too predictable with our long ball up to the big striker. Cannot see the system changing once Main or Cosgrove are fit so cannot see us being any better to watch again this season. 

Agree with Panda on Hayes being improvement on Leigh and looking forward to seeing how Virtanen (who got rave reviews from Arbroath fans last season) and Anderson get on with potential of more game time with us going with a smaller squad. Hernandez with a full preseason will also be interesting to see. 

As for predictions think Dons will finish anywhere from 3rd to 6th. Celtic will walk 10th title. Tribute Act will finish 2nd again which will see Gerrard punted/walk. If Nisbet can step up to this level expect Hibs to be our main challengers for 3rd/least shit of the rest. No idea where rest will finish. 

Our squad should be good enough to comfortably achieve 3rd, especially with Motherwell essentially having to replace half their first choice 11 from last season. But they do have (IMO) the best manager in the SPL who works miracles on the budget he receives so I cannot discount them from being in the mix for 3rd. Likewise Hibs who, of the teams below us within 10 points, appear to have strengthened the most. I was dead against us signing McGeouch in January...far too similar to Ojo and probably now one of our top 3 earners....I'd rather have tried to tempt Hamilton to sell us Gogic, or at least get him in on a pre-contract. The man is a beast, something we really don't have. I thibk he will prove to be Hibs' best acquisition of the summer and he will be on a fraction of what we are shelling out to McGeouch.

Celtic to win title by 10-15 points. Slippy to walk next summer before sevco get the chance to bullet him, possibly with a few games left to play. Us in 3rd, by 5-7 points from Hibs.

Coonty to be relegated. 

Gogic is an absolute hoofer. A slow one at that. He's like Anthony O'Connor. Agree about McGeouch though, I think he was a poor signing. Although he did have an excellent game in our last one v Hibs. Ojo came onto a game after January too and Ferguson improved also. Bryson to outshine them all (by not getting injured more than 6 times).

Tipped by 2 pundits on Clyde1 to finish 4th this season. Fraser Wishart reckons Hibs will finish 3rd. But the reason I am telling you this is that Hugh fucking Keevins was the other one (he reckons 'Well will come 3rd). This bellend never gets a prediction even close to being correct...the first season sevco got up to the SPL he tipped them to win it...and the year after! So lump on us for 3rd. It's a dead cert

(He's also tipped Celtic to win 10IAR......I cannot stomach lumping anything on sevco ever though  so I'll be avoiding that one)

On 31/07/2020 at 19:28, Ten Caat said:

Tipped by 2 pundits on Clyde1 to finish 4th this season. Fraser Wishart reckons Hibs will finish 3rd. But the reason I am telling you this is that Hugh fucking Keevins was the other one (he reckons 'Well will come 3rd). This bellend never gets a prediction even close to being correct...the first season sevco got up to the SPL he tipped them to win it...and the year after! So lump on us for 3rd. It's a dead cert

(He's also tipped Celtic to win 10IAR......I cannot stomach lumping anything on sevco ever though  so I'll be avoiding that one)

He once tipped Aberdeen to win the league. Was when Deila was Celtic boss. Not sure if it was a pre-season prediction or during the season, but he was giving it large that Aberdeen would win it.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, tup1 said:

My prediction is that the season will be abandoned soon.

We should then take that opportunity to chase Sky television, or Celtic & Rangers TV as it should be called.

Why will it be abandoned? Why should it be abandoned?

We should "chase Sky" for what purpose?

Never have so few words meant so little to me. Hope this isn't my comprehension faculties failing. 

I think it's quite obvious why it will be abandoned, do you really need me to explain that to you? It's on the brink right now.

As for Sky, the Scottish football they project is one that's not worth watching. In case you've not noticed, we have the longest duopoly in the history of world football running right now in Scottish football. 35 years and counting.

Sky & other satellite subscription channels are the main cause of that.

It should be abandoned because the footballers seem incapable of following the rules the rest of us have to adhere to. 9 players have been caught out but there's no doubt many more were not.

Which will lead to constant disruption. Better just to save face now and abandon it, it was started too soon.

You sound like a Sky subscriber. I've already explained to you the problem with their coverage, they have a blatant two team agenda.

I don't agree with your rationale and I think you are mistaken if you think it will be abandoned soon.

My subscription is with Now TV, a business expense of around £400 p.a. Irrespective of who subscribes and who does not, and to which channel or channels they subscribe and whether or not the channel is Sky directly or an offshoot of Sky, you said that "we should chase Sky". I don't know what you mean by that. Maybe you don't know what you meant by that either or maybe you weren't thinking clearly - which is fine and not a crime - but if I ask you for a third time, will you please enlighten us?

We shouldn't have a Sky TV contract for Scottish football. Welcoming them back in was a mistake. Is that clear enough for you?

I'm not sure I am mistaken about it being abandoned, we are on a final warning for that are we not?

Scottish football is no longer entertaining in the slightest. A total rethink is long overdue.

4 minutes ago, tup1 said:

We shouldn't have a Sky TV contract for Scottish football. Welcoming them back in was a mistake. Is that clear enough for you?

I'm not sure I am mistaken about it being abandoned, we are on a final warning for that are we not?

Scottish football is no longer entertaining in the slightest. A total rethink is long overdue.

I agree with you about Scottish football being not entertaining. I despise Sky too. I think I have now worked out that by "chase" you meant kick out, which was not clear to me. Nor do I necessarily agree with that too, if this is indeed what you meant. I don't see the SPFL taking money as a mistake.

We disagree that it will be abandoned. Time will tell if your prediction comes true.

Oh aye, I did mean get them out by chase them, sorry I never picked up on what you meant there.

I foresee an explosion of positive tests over the next few weeks, I can't see Scottish football handling it too well if our current efforts are any indicator. The politicians have said they have their finger on the trigger.

Interesting times ahead for Scottish football.

Thank you for your apology, a rare thing for you I would imagine. I'm a tolerant man but three strikes and I usually bite back like a total cunt. You spoke to me like I was a fucking idiot there, twice, but I guess we can mark one down after that so two lives left.

Remember this; if two people do not understand each other it's not always the fault of the listener. The speaker should not be so arrogant to assume that how he communicates is universal language and should engage humility and self-awareness, particularly before hurling insults. And never use a broken bottle with which to wipe your arse. Not that you would but now that I've mentioned it, you'll not make that mistake, I'm sure.

If you don't like being insulted, talking to me is possibly not a good idea.

I watched a little bit of the hun game last night, St Johnstone could hardly get a touch of the ball.

It left me wondering what exactly the point of Scottish football is? We are just going to have two teams with all the cards in their favour hammering everyone else, week in, week out, whilst they get paid good money by broadcasters to dish out these thrashings. It is not competitive sport any longer.

On 12/08/2020 at 12:42, tup1 said:

Oh aye, I did mean get them out by chase them, sorry I never picked up on what you meant there.

I foresee an explosion of positive tests over the next few weeks, I can't see Scottish football handling it too well if our current efforts are any indicator. The politicians have said they have their finger on the trigger.

Interesting times ahead for Scottish football.

Most unlike you to back down from potential confrontation with an apology and politeness. 

Good to see that moderators have taught you a lesson in being humble. 

25 minutes ago, hercule poirot said:

Most unlike you to back down from potential confrontation with an apology and politeness. 

Good to see that moderators have taught you a lesson in being humble. 

Oh look we have an AFC Chat weirdo ?

36 minutes ago, hercule poirot said:

I'm not an afc chat weirdo, just a normal weirdo. I monitor posters musings from afar. 

You appear to have grown up a bit which is a good thing. Keep it up shorty. 

But you do post with an assumed air of moral superiority.

And you do post with an assumed air of intellectual superiority.

And you do like to assume the position of advisor to the rest of us on here.

Which makes you a fucked-up cunt in my book.

Plus, how sad do you have to be to pretend to be expert in areas you're not, as you've done at least twice in the last couple of days, once of which you've admitted.

Fucking whack job indeed.