Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Preseason Games.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dons played first preseason game today at Cormack Park v County. Dons were 2-0 up with Bruce Anderson netting a double but finished 2-2.

Hopefully see him a) get more game time and b) be a bit more clinical.  Need / want him to take his chance

Was a big fan but I’m writing him off. Was never fit enough to maintain form and a starting position, can’t be relied upon. I’m not a big fan of Taylor, although he didn’t do too much wrong last year but, while it’s two lefties, I’d like us to try McKenna and Considine in the middle, ideally bringing Leigh back in to play LB with Hayes ahead of him.

Radical idea that, playing Considine in the middle. When he started two decades ago and Russell Anderson was mentoring him, there was no question that it wasn't his best position. Andrew said as much in an interview last year (or perhaps 2018) broadcast on Grampian. It's obvious to anyone who knows the game.

This doesn't include McInnes who has been shoehorning Consi into LB, mainly to paper over his own cracks, the midfield always being collectively weak and the tactical genius shoehorning Shinnie into the middle, again to the detriment of the player. History will judge the bearded one as a good, bad, great or shite manager. Milne decided he was great. The AFC sheeple decided to believe the chairman, himself as clueless about fitba as Donald Trump or Boris Johnson. They three share the same principal objectives of course and they ain't people, customers, sport or progress.

Aberdeen got the club they deserved. American Snake oil won't fix it.

Radical idea that, playing Considine in the middle. When he started two decades ago and Russell Anderson was mentoring him, there was no question that it wasn't his best position. Andrew said as much in an interview last year (or perhaps 2018) broadcast on Grampian. It's obvious to anyone who knows the game.

This doesn't include McInnes who has been shoehorn :oing Consi into LB, mainly to paper over his own cracks, the midfield always being collectively weak and the tactical genius shoehorning Shinnie into the middle, again to the detriment of the player. History will judge the bearded one as a good, bad, great or shite manager. Milne decided he was great. The AFC sheeple decided to believe the chairman, himself as clueless about fitba as Donald Trump or Boris Johnson. They three share the same principal objectives of course and they ain't people, customers, sport or progress.

Aberdeen got the club they deserved. American Snake oil won't fix it.

Playing midfield earned Shinnie a move down to Derby County and got him into the Scotland squad, so it can't have been that detrimental.

Big fan though of - despite all the things you could have had a go at Donald Trump and Boris Johnston about - picking them up on their lack of football knowledge ?

Playing midfield earned Shinnie a move down to Derby County and got him into the Scotland squad, so it can't have been that detrimental.

The same Shinnie who has started only one of the seven games post lockdown. If he's not good enough for a mid table championship side, he won't be good enough for international football. He only stood out in the SPFL for his passion and his heart but compared to a proper midfield player, he was a headless chicken. Could've been a great left back. 

The same Shinnie who has started only one of the seven games post lockdown. If he's not good enough for a mid table championship side, he won't be good enough for international football. He only stood out in the SPFL for his passion and his heart but compared to a proper midfield player, he was a headless chicken. Could've been a great left back.

You've missed the point. McInnes playing Shinnie in midfield wasn't to the player's detriment. How often the current Derby manager (who didn't sign him) uses him is irrelevant. What you think he'd have become playing as a left-back is hypothetical.

You also criticised McInnes for believing he was better used in midfield than left-back, as if he was the only one with that view. Frank Lampard signed him as a midfielder and Steven Gerrard wanted him as a midfielder also.

You've missed the point. McInnes playing Shinnie in midfield wasn't to the player's detriment. How often the current Derby manager (who didn't sign him) uses him is irrelevant. What you think he'd have become playing as a left-back is hypothetical.

You also criticised McInnes for believing he was better used in midfield than left-back, as if he was the only one with that view. Frank Lampard signed him as a midfielder and Steven Gerrard wanted him as a midfielder also.

You missed the point. We were talking about Considine who McInnes shoehorned into LB and put Shinnie in midfield.

We can argue all day how good or otherwise Shinnie is as a footballer.

The point was that Considine was never a left back, as he said so himself on TV in the last year or two.

You missed the point. We were talking about Considine who McInnes shoehorned into LB and put Shinnie in midfield.

We can argue all day how good or otherwise Shinnie is as a footballer.

The point was that Considine was never a left back, as he said so himself on TV in the last year or two.

No, you said McInnes playing Shinnie in midfield was to his detriment. If you've now realised you're wrong then that's fine, but don't pretend you didn't say that when that was your argument in two separate posts.

No, you said McInnes playing Shinnie in midfield was to his detriment. If you've now realised you're wrong then that's fine, but don't pretend you didn't say that when that was your argument in two separate posts.

I did say that playing Shinnie in midfield was to his detriment and I stand by that. As I said, we can disagree on that point all day long. He was a fucking average footballer as a midfielder who will never win anything because he's not fucking good enough. Heart and passion and a good engine can get you a job but without any creative ability, he will never taste success. Ryan Jack a far superior footballer.

I did say that playing Shinnie in midfield was to his detriment and I stand by that. As I said, we can disagree on that point all day long. He was a fucking average footballer as a midfielder who will never win anything because he's not fucking good enough. Heart and passion and a good engine can get you a job but without any creative ability, he will never taste success. Ryan Jack a far superior footballer.

I rated Ryan Jack at Aberdeen and wasn't one of his boo boys. But, when they were both at Aberdeen, Shinnie performances in midfield were well above Jack's.

Also, the first bit in bold, Shinnie has a Scottish Cup winners medal.

I rated Ryan Jack at Aberdeen and wasn't one of his boo boys. But, when they were both at Aberdeen, Shinnie performances in midfield were well above Jack's.

Also, the first bit in bold, Shinnie has a Scottish Cup winners medal.

I know you're not arguing for the sake of it and I need to be respectful of your vast experience and great knowledge. I wasn't a fan of Jack at AFC but I also never booed the cunt. He was a consistent performer, he rarely lost possession and has an excellent football brain. What frustrated me about him was that despite his obvious technical ability, he had limited creative skills and we could count on one hand the genius passes he stuck through defences to hand goals on a plate. He played in a very poor team where creativity and making things happen were alien to the manager's history of course but I found Jack a frustration mostly, a much better footballer than we were getting out of him.

Shinnie also played in a very poor team but he never frustrated me. We knew what we were getting with him, 100% energy but like Jack, not the creative midfielder who could supply a great service to the shit strikers AFC have had the whole time under McInnes, journeyman Rooney excepted. Hayes and McGinn had the ability to make things happen, unfortunately only when he could be arsed in the latter, Niall's inconsistency of performance being a perennial problem (other than one purple patch many years ago, which was two months only), a problem that was never addressed.

The fact Shinnie got booked so often was down to his slow football brain. His one-speed full on passion coupled with his one-speed low on intelligence found him fractionally late to situations in every game he played. He was never a dirty player, just a thick one. Jack's exceptional performance for Malky at RB v. Holland at Pittodrie was a masterclass of football intelligence, executing everything with simplicity and great effectiveness and not having seen him in that position for years, another potential debate that he also - like Shinnie - may have been a much better full back than midfielder even despite the fact he has since gone on to prove at Sevco that he is one of the better/best at SPFL level.

I look forward to your case to hear how Shinnie was "well above" Jack.

I agree with Rocket that I would have liked to see Shinnie play at left back for us. At the time when he came in it was the position that needed filled although I think the best approach is probably somewhat flexible. I also think its undeniable that Jack is a technically better player.

I don't necessarily see that Shinnie or Jack jobs were to be creative though, as they are defensive midfielders it was the wingers and the guy in front (Hays, McGinn, Maclean) who where our creative players. Sure it would be great if they could play those defense splitting passes that you were talking about, but if they could they would both be playing at a higher level then they are.

I agree that creativity wasn't in their "job descriptions" but this is a problem of itself. Simmie and Brian Grant never earned reputations as "creative" midfielders either but they were superb footballers who made tons of chances for others, and took a fair few themselves, including some very important ones.

Jack had the right technical skill set but was never developed to his obvious potential whilst with us. Shinnie had no potential. He was just a great heart with very limited skills.

I need to be respectful of your vast experience and great knowledge.

Thanks, appreciate that.

I wasn't a fan of Jack at AFC but I also never booed the cunt. He was a consistent performer, he rarely lost possession and has an excellent football brain. What frustrated me about him was that despite his obvious technical ability, he had limited creative skills and we could count on one hand the genius passes he stuck through defences to hand goals on a plate. He played in a very poor team where creativity and making things happen were alien to the manager's history of course but I found Jack a frustration mostly, a much better footballer than we were getting out of him.

Shinnie also played in a very poor team but he never frustrated me. We knew what we were getting with him, 100% energy but like Jack, not the creative midfielder who could supply a great service to the shit strikers AFC have had the whole time under McInnes, journeyman Rooney excepted. Hayes and McGinn had the ability to make things happen, unfortunately only when he could be arsed in the latter, Niall's inconsistency of performance being a perennial problem (other than one purple patch many years ago, which was two months only), a problem that was never addressed.

The fact Shinnie got booked so often was down to his slow football brain. His one-speed full on passion coupled with his one-speed low on intelligence found him fractionally late to situations in every game he played. He was never a dirty player, just a thick one. Jack's exceptional performance for Malky at RB v. Holland at Pittodrie was a masterclass of football intelligence, executing everything with simplicity and great effectiveness and not having seen him in that position for years, another potential debate that he also - like Shinnie - may have been a much better full back than midfielder even despite the fact he has since gone on to prove at Sevco that he is one of the better/best at SPFL level.

I look forward to your case to hear how Shinnie was "well above" Jack.

You've kind of made my point for me. We probably got everything out of Shinnie we were going to get out of him. He did the job he was supposed to do. He was a very good captain for us, and undoubtedly took us up a level when he signed. On occasion when he did play left back, he rarely reached the same levels and we always missed him in midfield. There were occasions where he was absolutely outstanding in the middle and his lack of Scotland call-ups were a disgrace. Yes he picked up a lot of bookings, but if we're comparing him to Ryan Jack - his disciplinary record, especially at Rangers, hasn't been too great either.

Jack is the one player you could argue had his career negatively affected by McInnes, in that he was played too defensive when he was more of an attacking player.

Shinnie and Jack were both played as defensive midfielders and Shinnie was better at it than Jack. Whether that makes Shinnie a better player than Jack is more of a debate.

As for the thread title - when are we next playing a pre-season friendly? According to McInnes we are playing twice a week but have heard nothing since the Ross County draw, which itself was cloaked in secrecy with no match report or even line-ups.

As for the thread title - when are we next playing a pre-season friendly? According to McInnes we are playing twice a week but have heard nothing since the Ross County draw, which itself was cloaked in secrecy with no match report or even line-ups.

We were supposed to be playing Arabs yesterday but they withdrew at the last minute allegedly.

1. Thanks, appreciate that.

2. You've kind of made my point for me.

1. You missed out the first bit. You selectively ignored the charge that you are arguing for the sake of it. Which isn't entirely true as you respond to any criticism of McInnes as you did to any criticism of Milne. This is exactly the type of denial rhetoric which supports my long-held view that you got the club you deserved, a very broken one.

2. This type of revisionist fantasy is as disingenuous as your "arguments". Not only do you twist the fact that Shinnie started at LB and was subsequently moved into midfield - where we violently disagree on his worth and effectiveness in that role - you selectively took one line from my post to twist the debate away from my central point thereby totally ignoring it, the fact that the manager shoehorned Considine into a position he didn't want to be in.

I've never met Aberdeen fans like you in the real world who are consistent supporters of the management of the club. I'm not saying that they don't exist, but I suspect they're in their twenties or younger and whilst this doesn't include my son and his mates who are in this age bracket, I can't even imagine why anyone would want to be an apologist or be in denial at the history of decline happening over a sustained period. Calderwood was the first disaster. McInnes will also go nowhere in management once the yanks eventually work out how inept and unfit for purpose he is and sack him. It's the "fans" not seeing how bad these managers are that I cant understand, nor do i want to.

1. You missed out the first bit. You selectively ignored the charge that you are arguing for the sake of it. Which isn't entirely true as you respond to any criticism of McInnes as you did to any criticism of Milne. This is exactly the type of denial rhetoric which supports my long-held view that you got the club you deserved, a very broken one.

2. This type of revisionist fantasy is as disingenuous as your "arguments". Not only do you twist the fact that Shinnie started at LB and was subsequently moved into midfield - where we violently disagree on his worth and effectiveness in that role - you selectively took one line from my post to twist the debate away from my central point thereby totally ignoring it, the fact that the manager shoehorned Considine into a position he didn't want to be in.

I've never met Aberdeen fans like you in the real world who are consistent supporters of the management of the club. I'm not saying that they don't exist, but I suspect they're in their twenties or younger and whilst this doesn't include my son and his mates who are in this age bracket, I can't even imagine why anyone would want to be an apologist or be in denial at the history of decline happening over a sustained period. Calderwood was the first disaster. McInnes will also go nowhere in management once the yanks eventually work out how inept and unfit for purpose he is and sack him. It's the "fans" not seeing how bad these managers are that I cant understand, nor do i want to.

If someone posted they think the strip is not bad, you'd reply with a rant about McInnes, Milne and the club being in decline.