Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Player update

2 hours ago, Slim said:

Stoke manager is hoping to get rid of Liam Lindsay before the deadline, would seem a good fit on paper although I don't remember actually ever seeing him play before.

I remember him playing for Thistle and was possibly one of the reasons they got the top six finish a few years back, then they went to shit after he moved to Barnsley.

I've no idea how his progress went in England, but he moved to Stoke for £2 million, which doesn't really tell us much, but if available I could imagine DM sniffing around.

3 hours ago, Slim said:

Stoke manager is hoping to get rid of Liam Lindsay before the deadline, would seem a good fit on paper although I don't remember actually ever seeing him play before.

Decent player at Partick

Nephew of Ricky Gillies

Lindsay and Devlin were the top two up and coming central defenders a few years back. I wanted either or both, then Lindsay went to England and Devlin fucked his knee. Haven’t heard about Lindsay since. Based on memory he ‘was’ a good defender, no clue how it went down south.

Edited by LA-Don

9 hours ago, LA-Don said:

Greg Leigh released by Breda. I’d take him in a heartbeat and move Hayes further forward. Plus pretty sure Leigh is capable in a back 3.

Was never that convinced with Leigh defensively and we have better options offensively. Would rather we looked elsewhere if we are bringing someone else in.

2 hours ago, manc_don said:

Seems like he has been spotted in Aberdeen (there is a photo knocking about). But never sure when these things are taken.

On the EE website that we are trying to put a deal together for Leigh.

Would be a good signing, as a good athletic player who we know can do a job down the left side. I'm not sure if he can play in a back three though.

7 hours ago, TheDeeDon said:

Would be a good signing, as a good athletic player who we know can do a job down the left side. I'm not sure if he can play in a back three though.

Out if curiosity, why would you think he couldn’t? I get that it’s challenging for a small full back to be moved more centrally, but he’s a big and pacy strapping boy, I’d like to think he’d be capable. Can’t be any worse than Ash!

30 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

Out if curiosity, why would you think he couldn’t? I get that it’s challenging for a small full back to be moved more centrally, but he’s a big and pacy strapping boy, I’d like to think he’d be capable. Can’t be any worse than Ash!

I have no idea how he would get on moving into a back three. I never said he couldn't.

36 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

did you mean Considine,or can Leigh play on both sides?

10 hours ago, TheDeeDon said:

Good deal for us in my opinion.

McInnes always fancied getting Leigh beyond the loan term last season hence agreed fee to purchase written into the loan deal.

Now that he is a free agent, no fee involved in this signing

Also doesn't have to necessarily be concluded today as free agents can be signed out with the window.

Wonder if there'll be some random loan signing before close of play today ?

Doubt it, but guess you never know 

Getting in a known quantity who isn’t rubbish for free can only be a good thing. Not exciting and probably won’t move us up a level but a good signing overall I’d say.

Between Leigh, Hayes and Considine, we have a bunch of options on the left side to suit whichever formation we play.

Leigh gives us options at the back. Of course he will never be an asset that sells for millions down the line but he's a solid pro at SPL level and getting him in for free is an excellent bit of business. 

I'd expect his signing will conclude our business for this transfer window...unless we see a couple of late loans heading out of the club. Would still like to see Dean Campbell go somewhere for the rest of the season to get a regular game. He's certainly behind McCrorie, McGeouch and Ferguson for a spot in the side, you would like to think he's ahead of Ojo now but probably not as Mcinnes sees something in Ojo that nobody else does. Campbell would be better served getting a regular game elsewhere rather than 10-30 minute sub appearances and the occasional start if we have an injury or suspension crisis

Edited by Ten Caat

Agreed, Campbell going out on loan should be a priority. In terms of Ojo, I reckon McInnes knows the writing is on the wall for him and he's probably just trying to walk the fine line between not having a player unsettling the squad whilst at the same time paying him for the privilege. It's a shame, he had a decent spell of 6-7 games post January this year, but he started this season way off the pace, just like he did last season. It's a difficult one, he should have turned out to be a decent signing, I can see why a scout would look at him and think he was a prospect - unlike a Gleeson or Forrester or Tansey who clearly didn't have any of the requirements. Ojo has the attributes to be a decent player, but his application has been terrible. I don't think it's a laziness thing either, it looks entirely like confidence and a lack of belief in his own ability. He's not afraid of a tackle, but arrives late and gets booked stupidly too often and at times he appears like he can hold the ball really well without being daunted under pressure from an opponent and then suddenly he'll just panic and pass it straight to an opponent before panicking further in an attempt to get back in position. He's like a guy that's playing at 70% fitness. He reminds me of Hartley approaching the end of his time; knows what he wants to do, but just can't do it anymore. I don't see where it goes for him in his career, I think he'll be a wasted talent. He's now another, like the many before him, who are taking a place in the squad that a youngster should be filling. It's not healthy to have guys at his stage of his career littering our bench, and every minute he gets on the pitch is now a minute that Campbell doesn't. It's been a problem throughout McInnes' time here, and I think it stems from the fact that he's been fairly well supported by the board. He realised that Bryson and Ojo weren't up to it and the signing of McGeouch was sanctioned. Now McGeouch is getting 20-30 minutes here and there where Campbell could be and Ojo is further complicating it. The board should have told McInnes to make do in January and forced his hand in playing Campbell. McGeouch, after a very poor start with only one good performance prior to the pandemic, is an expensive player to have on our bench. 

Greg Leigh signed until January. Don’t quite understand the length of contract unless we have fitness/health concerns?? I get that the short term deal of Watkins was due to injuries, but would have thought Leigh would get at least a full season.

7 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

Greg Leigh signed until January. Don’t quite understand the length of contract unless we have fitness/health concerns?? I get that the short term deal of Watkins was due to injuries, but would have thought Leigh would get at least a full season.

Hopefully it’s because a better option is coming in January. 

Could be finance related? Maybe he's over budget. Especially if we're missing crowds beyond that time.

I didn't think he was that good first time around, just okay. Allows a back four with Hayes further forward though, which would be a benefit. I never thought he was that good positionally, so I'm not convinced he'd cut it as part of a back three. He could just be cover for various positions (we're really short in centre mid, so he can play there). We maybe just couldn't find a centre half so we're using up the budget.