Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Player update

We should get wright signed up for another couple of years at least, we can always look to extend his contract if he keeps up the good performances. Always leaves a bit to chance if we let it get to December/January and hes playing well then gets approached by other clubs. Speaking about Hedges when is his deal up? Did he sign on for 3 years or was it just 2?

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

It looks like it's done.

But it is embarrassing that the price they are talking about is £3M.

£4m according to Nottingham Forest. Plus a hefty sell on clause.

He will do well in England, he's a great defender. I'm surprised teams in the Premier League were not looking at him.

1 hour ago, tup1 said:

£4m according to Nottingham Forest. Plus a hefty sell on clause.

He will do well in England, he's a great defender. I'm surprised teams in the Premier League were not looking at him.

Just depends on how well his hammy holds up...couple of bad tears already and he's only 23.

Just catching up on the match thread and twigged something was up with McKenna, but hadn't twigged he was off.

I like him and think he will do well and I think it will be a good move for him and is ready for it.

I think £4 million if true is a great result for us, but we will need to spend some wisely to replace him. No way will we have a good season if Taylor and Devlin expected to replace.

35 minutes ago, TheDeeDon said:

Just catching up on the match thread and twigged something was up with McKenna, but hadn't twigged he was off.

I like him and think he will do well and I think it will be a good move for him and is ready for it.

I think £4 million if true is a great result for us, but we will need to spend some wisely to replace him. No way will we have a good season if Taylor and Devlin expected to replace.

Just keep your fingers crossed that Hoban has a change of luck and doesn't get injured otherwise that will be the pairing - Hoban/Consi with a proper LB would be a better option.

11 minutes ago, dons8321 said:

Just keep your fingers crossed that Hoban has a change of luck and doesn't get injured otherwise that will be the pairing - Hoban/Consi with a proper LB would be a better option.

Indeed, watching on Alba the moment and we look far better at the back with Hoban, but nonetheless we will miss Scotty as he gave us a presence at the back.

Hopefully Hobans injury problems are behind him, but knowing our luck, once he signs a long term deal....

12 hours ago, Anthony said:

Why not pay attention to Jack Hendry or David Bates.

But I understand that it will not be affordable.

Hendry is shite, is he not?

Al, that would be a very good deal actually. Woke up to the news from one of the whatsapp groups, wasn't aware of the add ons. £3m alone I wasn't overly impressed with now. Had it been last season, i'd have said we'd pay for the cab!

Hendry partnering either Taylor or Devlin gives me the major fear.

Bates is on a season long loan to a Belgian club with an option to purchase at end of this season, so not sure there would be any mileage in him either.

I personally think that a lot of folk are only going to realise that McKenna wasn't a bad player once it is too late and he is no longer with us.

Pity somebody like Villa didn't chuck a straight cash £5m last minute bid in ?

I'm with Tup on this one, I think Forest have got a good deal there. Although, it's also a good deal for us, but with a hint of poor timing. McKenna has been very good for us for most of his time here, and started the season very well. He also has the room to develop his game and he does raise it when required. I think he'll relish the greater physical battle he'll get down the road and if he can weather the championship well enough could get the move to a bigger club subsequently. We'll take an £8M cut on his next £40M transfer.

The sell on clause is key, I don't see him being at Nottingham Forest for too long once the English wake up to the fact they have signed the best young defender in Scotland.

He will get a big move to the EPL in 2-3 years maximum.

He was the best young defender we had since Willie Miller.

15 minutes ago, tup1 said:

The sell on clause is key, I don't see him being at Nottingham Forest for too long once the English wake up to the fact they have signed the best young defender in Scotland.

That's a bold statement Mr Tup in your last sentence there and one that will invoke debate.

Whilst it'll all come down to opinion as always I'm not sure I agree, as I think Cadger is worthy of consideration there.

Personally think that he read the game better than McKenna but possibly didn't match up the same in the physical battle.

36 minutes ago, tup1 said:

It's funny, I've not met any non Dons fans that would agree with that statement.  He's a talent alright, just needs the right direction imo.

9 minutes ago, manc_don said:

It's funny, I've not met any non Dons fans that would agree with that statement.  He's a talent alright, just needs the right direction imo.

Well Steve Clarke agrees. He picks him every game, unlike £25m pound man Tierney.

It's just because of the club he plays for. Celtic tried a similar tactic to their bid for John McGinn with us, making an insulting lowball offer. After it was turned down, the Celtic supporters all turned on him, hence the heavy and OTT criticism he gets for the Scotland games.

They also turned on Tierney. Pay no attention. McKenna is a brilliant defender, as epitomised by our pub league defending yesterday.

7 minutes ago, tup1 said:

Well Steve Clarke agrees. He picks him every game, unlike £25m pound man Tierney.

It's just because of the club he plays for. Celtic tried a similar tactic to their bid for John McGinn with us, making an insulting lowball offer. After it was turned down, the Celtic supporters all turned on him, hence the heavy and OTT criticism he gets for the Scotland games.

They also turned on Tierney. Pay no attention. McKenna is a brilliant defender, as epitomised by our pub league defending yesterday.

I don't think it's a Celtic thing though. When the dons are playing poor, or a particular player has a few bad games, the fans have a tendency to start singling out our own players and as soon as a few folk start questioning a player it's almost like a competition to see who can critique their game the most harshly (Logan had a few months of poor form, which turned to permanent criticism as his game steadily improved again. Considine still classed as nae good enough by some despite nearly a decade of above average dons' player performances). I've heard plenty of dons fans suggest McKenna is a donkey and can't pass or whatever. It's almost like it's cool to be ultra critical. He had a couple of months where his form dipped, as every single fitba'r ever has. He's a very good defender, strong, good concentration, good awareness, aggressive, doesn't take chances and can kick it really hard. Being the best Scottish defender at the moment isn't much to boast about, but it's definitely the case.

I think McKenna has probably been the one player who has saved McInnes from getting punted, without him the past few seasons I wouldn't have imagined us being as half decent as we were, as defensively we were shyte, but Scotty was the difference. Even though he had a few bad games, I reckon a lot of time he was let down by his team mates and we also forgot at times that he was still young in defender terms and still learning.

I still think he will improve as a player, but I'm not so sure he is destined for the very top, but certainly of a higher standard than our league and can see him in the EPL at some point and glad he is not going to Glasgow. Forest are a club who seem to be in perpetual crisis, but hopefully he can be a great addition for them and goes in to prove himself and earn us a sell on fee.

I'll never forget sitting in the Merkland stand that day he scored that screamer against Killie, what a hit that was.

Best if luck loon.

Aye good luck to him. If he can stay injury free, he will be a star.

Let's not forget McInnes only used him when forced to, also after a 3-0 defeat by Motherwell. He was only on the fringes until that debacle.

It's sad to see him go but he is too good for us. I'm quite amazed that no team in the top league in England is willing to take a chance on him, especially after McGinn's success at Villa, and also Tierney now at Arsenal.