Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dons v County 22/02

Well I predicted a comfortable win and we didn't get one.

Would have won if we hadn't lost Campbell, too far away for me to see what his bookings were for, but I belive the second was for kicking the ball away??  Daft if so, but the referee was a fud.

I was surprised we still went out for the win after going down to 10, expected to see McGeouch come on for either Cosgrove/Main/McLennan, but I think Main played deeper and we tried to go for it, which to be fair we did and were unlucky not to take the lead early in the second with a shot from Fergie saved by the keeper with him then following up with another good save from McGinn, but County had their chances as well before they actually scored and only a good save from Joe, when McKay was one on one from him and another which he tipped over the bar kept them at bay only to then lose another soft goal near the end.

Player wise Cosgrove was honking, just doesn't look interested and his touch is awful. Main has plenty of faults, but he never hides, Cosgrove would have claimed the goal, but Curtis just made sure, but to have those two as your main strikers isn't ideal, but it's all we have as Anderson won't get the game time, as today would have been good to start him upfront alonside Main, but once again saw no action.

Subs were a little baffling, but McInnes must have though we could win as he replaced the ineffective McLennan with Kennedy, who I am still not convinced about, then Hedges for McGinn, then finally McGeouch for Sam, who really should have been off the pitch far sooner as offered us nothing and then we lost a second goal, gutted to say the least.

Thought Taylor and Ferguson were our best players today, with Joe earning his corn with some good saves. Considine did well too. McKenna plays fine for the most part, but his brain farts are becoming costly and he will be lucky if anyone takes a punt on him in the summer, same with Cosgrove.

Just surprised that McInnes didn't go into game management mode when we went down to 10, but soft goals were our downfall once again, I would have said a draw would have been fair, but possibly used up our luck for the week on Wednesday night.

Another week and more excuses from DM. Yes we were down to 10 but with our budget and ability that’s a game we should win. The comments about being exhausted are a fucking joke, we have a big enough squad to freshen things up and beat the team with the worst defense in the league at home. As I mentioned earlier, saw little of the game but from what I saw it was more long ball shit. Blame that, not fatigue. And from what I read it could have been worse than 2-1.

Well I predicted a comfortable win and we didn't get one.

Would have won if we hadn't lost Campbell, too far away for me to see what his bookings were for, but I belive the second was for kicking the ball away??  Daft if so, but the referee was a fud.

I was surprised we still went out for the win after going down to 10, expected to see McGeouch come on for either Cosgrove/Main/McLennan, but I think Main played deeper and we tried to go for it, which to be fair we did and were unlucky not to take the lead early in the second with a shot from Fergie saved by the keeper with him then following up with another good save from McGinn, but County had their chances as well before they actually scored and only a good save from Joe, when McKay was one on one from him and another which he tipped over the bar kept them at bay only to then lose another soft goal near the end.

Player wise Cosgrove was honking, just doesn't look interested and his touch is awful. Main has plenty of faults, but he never hides, Cosgrove would have claimed the goal, but Curtis just made sure, but to have those two as your main strikers isn't ideal, but it's all we have as Anderson won't get the game time, as today would have been good to start him upfront alonside Main, but once again saw no action.

Subs were a little baffling, but McInnes must have though we could win as he replaced the ineffective McLennan with Kennedy, who I am still not convinced about, then Hedges for McGinn, then finally McGeouch for Sam, who really should have been off the pitch far sooner as offered us nothing and then we lost a second goal, gutted to say the least.

Thought Taylor and Ferguson were our best players today, with Joe earning his corn with some good saves. Considine did well too. McKenna plays fine for the most part, but his brain farts are becoming costly and he will be lucky if anyone takes a punt on him in the summer, same with Cosgrove.

Just surprised that McInnes didn't go into game management mode when we went down to 10, but soft goals were our downfall once again, I would have said a draw would have been fair, but possibly used up our luck for the week on Wednesday night.

He blocked the Free Kick, the very same thing happened to us on Wednesday night, but the Ref just spoke to the Killie Player, a bit of common sense, it's a very harsh 2nd Yellow, in my opinion. But he will learn from it, you'd hope.

Regarding Cosgrove, something is without doubt a miss, the boy has gone from being confident, having shots, winning headers, decent hold up play, scoring goals etc... to Bambi on Ice! He hasn't become a bad Player overnight and definitely hasn't become a bad Player on purpose.

Whilst Campbell's Sending Off was a factor, the goals we lost were atrocious, a free header ( Which Lewis should have done a lot better with ) and a completely un tracked run for the 2nd, someone was sleeping, McKenna I think. We were 1-0 up, a bit more shape and a bit more patience and we'd have got to HT still 1-0 up. Could have regrouped at HT and just played on the Counter.

Don't think anybody really stood out, but Taylor is certainly our best defender, on current form.

I thought we defended poorly on Wednesday but today was even worse. Gifted County two easy goals. How McKay got so much room to get a free header for the first is beyond me. Thought both Campbell’s yellow cards were on the soft side but they were technically yellow cards so off he goes. He will hopefully learn from this. McInnes should have hooked Cosgrove immediately to bring on another midfielder and left Main up top. Cosgrove had another poor game. His form is tanking of late. He needs to drop back to the bench.

We are going to have to improve if we are to finish third.

Yes his bookings were soft and technically correct, but if a referee is going to be so pedantic with the rules he has to do it consistantly throughout the game which he didn't.

As for Sam his goal record is decent, but does allow him to hide behind his many weaknesses to his game and I honestly don't think he is a very good footballer and reckon he has had his head turned by all the talk leading up to and during the last transfer window. 

Our poor recruitment over the past few windows is biting us on the arse big time and we lack quality.

Aye, wasn't great like. As others have said, the sub should have come straight away. I think McInnes was in a difficult situation however, because he had to take off either Main or Cosgrove and it would have been a blow to either player's confidence. He should still be making that call, and not doing it cost us the game. Although Campbell sold his teammates with his bookings. In fairness to the ref, they were both blatant bookings. I don't think Cosgrove and main will work out together, so we need to revert for the st mirren game. Hopefully the weather will have improved by next weekend too as the conditions didn't help the game at all.

I think McInnes was in a difficult situation

He is indeed in a very difficult situation, possibly a terminal one.

The difficulty he has is that he knows that the players, the management, the club and the fans should all be pulling together in the same direction. Indeed he spoke about this specifically when he was referring to the goal celebrations at Killie midweek. The problem is that he's now acutely aware that a section of the support don't want him there, thus the poor average home crowds and as Ayrshire states, a piss poor home record stretching back over a season.

Much as he will have engaged the siege mentality against the detractors, of which I'm one, and will have privately shared with his wos mates how demanding and unrealistic the Aberdeen fans are, this is a falsehood. A charlatan is in denial about his own limitations and this particular ambitious charlatan wasn't planning on being here this long. Unfortunately for him, it's results that get you promoted to bigger jobs and his haven't been good enough. He should introspect better. It's not our fault the bigger clubs aren't coming in for him, nor will they ever.

4 home defeats on the trot is utterly unacceptable. That 3 of them came against Motherwell, St J and Ross Co makes it almost criminal. Hamilton and Livi did us a big favour yesterday by taking points off our biggest rivals for 3rd spot (I'm assuming Hibs will overhaul Livi before the split)…….we blew it big style. Some are saying both of Campbell's bookings were harsh and there may be some truth in that p.o.v…….they're questioning if it had been Broon or the Rat would either of the incidents resulted in yellows.... but under the rules they were both bookable and ultimately it cost us the game. With 11 men on the park we were comfortable, if unspectacular. I can understand why McInnes didn't immediately haul one of our forwards off after the sending off...I think he thought we had enough about us to see it through to half time when he could then have made the sub without embarrassing or angering either Main or Cosgrove. I am in agreement with TDD that Cosgrove looks very much like a player who has had his head turned by the transfer speculation in January. However for the 2nd match on the trot, McLennan was absolutely honking. Both players need an extended spell on the bench/ playing for the reserves.

Now think that despite his massive contract, only a Scottish Cup win can save McInnes from the bullet in summer. Things just seem to be mirroring the final months of the Calderwood era. To get third we really need to go on a 5 or 6 match winning streak, defeating Hibs, Livi and Motherwell in doing so. But we haven't looked like going  on a run like that all season.

Now think that despite his massive contract, only a Scottish Cup win can save McInnes from the bullet in summer. Things just seem to be mirroring the final months of the Calderwood era. To get third we really need to go on a 5 or 6 match winning streak, defeating Hibs, Livi and Motherwell in doing so. But we haven't looked like going  on a run like that all season.

Nah, I don't think that's the thinking in the boardroom at all.

If Aberdeen finish the season strongly - claim third, the general performances improve, they maybe lose in the cup but only after a battling performance along the lines of the Celtic defeat last weekend, then I can't see the board sacking him.

Saw the highlights last night and have to say, regardless of the defending leading up to them, they were two good finishes by the boy McKay, the header for the first was especially good they way he guided it into the bottom corner.

After watching them though it was even clearer we needed to change the personnel in the middle of the park once Campbell got his marching orders.

Nah, I don't think that's the thinking in the boardroom at all.

If Aberdeen finish the season strongly - claim third, the general performances improve, they maybe lose in the cup but only after a battling performance along the lines of the Celtic defeat last weekend, then I can't see the board sacking him.

Could just as easily finish 5th, maybe even 6th. With a total collapse from now till season's end 7th or 8th isn't out of the question. I think we will get through to the cup semi (possibly needing a replay to do so) but chances are we will get one of the arse cheeks in the semi. A bit of a doing at Hampden could then be on the cards, especially if its the green and white version we get. What do the board do then?

Could just as easily finish 5th, maybe even 6th. With a total collapse from now till season's end 7th or 8th isn't out of the question. I think we will get through to the cup semi (possibly needing a replay to do so) but chances are we will get one of the arse cheeks in the semi. A bit of a doing at Hampden could then be on the cards, especially if its the green and white version we get. What do the board do then?

Well you've just moved the goalposts there from "only a Scottish Cup win can save McInnes from the bullet in summer" by now suggesting we might be 8th.

I said if we're third and finish the season strongly showing signs of improvement, I don't think in the eyes of the board he needs a cup win to save his job.

Well you've just moved the goalposts there from "only a Scottish Cup win can save McInnes from the bullet in summer" by now suggesting we might be 8th.

I said if we're third and finish the season strongly showing signs of improvement, I don't think in the eyes of the board he needs a cup win to save his job.

I think a step back and a reflective eye has to be taken here, and hopefully Dave Cormack is doing that. The performances are poor and have been for a while (2 seasons or so), it's not entertainment, and there is an increasing discontent amongst fans. If you take a look at DM he's in scramble mode, we get different line ups, personnel, formations etc on a weekly bases. Nothing is breeding confidence or inspiring, plus his winter signing of McGeouch was an odd one (and I'm sure expensive), we didn't need that position.....and that's a concern since it was obviously approved by someone. No clue where Cormack stands with McInnes but it's still a wide open season. We could go to a cup final and finish 3rd or easily lose to St Mirren this weekend and finish 5-8th, nothing would surprise me. Has Cormack said much in the media about DM and the product on the aprk?

In my post, I said that to get third we would need to go on a 5 or 6 match winning run, which we haven't done, nor even looked like doing, since the season started. And beating all our closest rivals along the way. So I presumed you would extrapolate from that that I think it's highly unlikely we will now finish third. Which is why I stated that I think only a Scottish Cup win will save him.

You are saying 3rd will save him and I'd agree with that. What you haven't said is at what point, if any, you think the board would be forced into taking action. I don't think I moved any goalposts. I just pointed out that I think it's at least equally likely that we will not finish in your McInnes saving scenario of third place....Motherwell have the nap hand on 3rd as it stands and we now have Livi and Hibs breathing down our necks for the 4th place we currently hold, both of whom are in far better consistent form than we are showing.

The saddest thing about the boy's posts is that he has no balls to actually express an opinion of his own. That he looks to curry favour with the board and the manager is standard but at what point will he ever have an opinion of his own? Fucking cretinous posting from a poster who's nae a real mannie and who is an out-and-out fraud.

In my post, I said that to get third we would need to go on a 5 or 6 match winning run, which we haven't done, nor even looked like doing, since the season started. And beating all our closest rivals along the way. So I presumed you would extrapolate from that that I think it's highly unlikely we will now finish third. Which is why I stated that I think only a Scottish Cup win will save him.

You are saying 3rd will save him and I'd agree with that. What you haven't said is at what point, if any, you think the board would be forced into taking action. I don't think I moved any goalposts. I just pointed out that I think it's at least equally likely that we will not finish in your McInnes saving scenario of third place....Motherwell have the nap hand on 3rd as it stands and we now have Livi and Hibs breathing down our necks for the 4th place we currently hold, both of whom are in far better consistent form than we are showing.

I didn't say third would save him. I said if the team shows signs of improvement towards the end of the season, if the team starts putting in some good performances and he starts showing that now most of the injured players are back he's able to get the best out of the squad, then I think he'll be fine, because there'll be evidence there the team are on the way back, and there might even be genuine positivity for the next campaign, so the board will stick with him rather than go searching for someone else. Bear in mind the remaining games are four of the next six being away, five top six games, and if they win on Saturday then a return to Hampden. So we'd be talking about performing well in big fixtures.

Finishing eighth is clearly going the other way and the team getting worse. I doubt even a cup win would save him if the form was that alarming.

You mentioned Calderwood. He was on his last chance after the calamity of losing to Queen's Park & Queen of the South. The following season showed no signs of recovery and the team just drifted along while fans drifted away. They had to get rid of him. I don't think we're there with McInnes yet.

The only way I could see us ending up in the bottom 6 is if we don't get any more wins before the split, which I do find unlikely but would certainly get McInnes the boot. I think if we don't get 3rd big questions will be asked. It would be a massive blow to our ambitions as a club not to make Europe, and although 4th place would likely get us in there is no guarantee we will get that on our current form.

This season we have been terrible and it has been slightly disguised by how rotten the rest of the teams who should be competing with us have been. I think McInnes gets more slack from fans who are not attending games every week because we are sitting 4th one point off 3rd, which makes it sound like we are doing ok, but clearly doesn't tell the whole story. I also personally feel he needs to do more to get our promising youth players into the first team.

That said I'm still slightly on the fence about giving McInnes the sack for a number of reasons. We all know how badly wrong changing managers can go for example the McGhee era. Caution aside I think there is also a part of me that doesn't like the reactive chopping and changing of managers that goes on too often these days. But it's been a couple of seasons we have been playing rubbish football. I think if McInnes manages to turn it around this season and get third or the cup he should get one more season to see if he can get us back to where we were a few years ago. I don't know if he is capable and I'm probably living in hope rather than confidence at this point.

I'd be more open to keeping faith in McInnes if he showed that he had any kind of long-term plan, strategy or philosophy. Instead, we just seem to be going from transfer window to transfer window desperately trying to plug leaks, primarily with players that he's heard of rather than their ability to perform a specific role in a system.

Plenty of stuff going on off the pitch, but we seem to be completely lacking direction when it comes to first team football matters.