Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Accies v Dons 11/02

Some half. Main playing well up front (although lucky not to be booked for the foul on Easton), with McGinn giving him the additional space to work in. Back 3 looking good, with Devlin getting closer and closer to completing a pass. Ojo looking very assertive in midfield, still not convinced by McGeouch (or the midfield of those three generally). Kennedy and McLennan rarely beating their men, but a fantastic run from McLennan for his goal. He was a great finisher as a youngster, hopefully that can come back to him with a bit more first team experience. A big second half ahead of Sunday would be nice. Get a few more the dandies.

Of course, the first game in a while I don’t get to watch. So what is going well? Two up top? Are we a 3-5-2??

The weather is not conducive to good football. It's been pretty terrible standard with passes going astray and much hoofball BUT the quality of the goals were superb, not just the executions but the build ups. There has literally only been three pieces of quality in the game. Templeton missed a one-to-one in 5 minutes and then Hamilton never showed again, other than showing everyone why they've let in so many goals recently.

A welcome change of strategy, performance and result.  Credit to maine who showed he does have his merits and deserved his motm. The big question though is has mcinnes stumbled on the squads best formation as the back 3 looked great albeit against Hamilton?  Just as intreaguing a question is do we go with a back 3 against celtic on Sunday?

Managed 3 goals from open play & 3 separate goalscorers!

Can't really fault anyone, everyone played well, special mentions to Main & Devlin, Main was rightly MOTM for his 1st Half performance alone, but he continued to work hard and was unlucky not to score with that header in the 2nd Half. Thought Devlin was extremely comfortable the entire game and actually put in a couple of very good crosses in the 2nd Half! Could add Considine and Ojo to this list as well, they also played very well.

It's amazing what a change can do, Hamilton wouldn't have expected that Formation, they seemed to struggle big time with it, until they changed themselves in the 2nd Half, but game was done by then.

I won't be getting carried away, I am pleased we looked more like ourselves, I still absolutely maintain that Cosgrove should be our main Striker, I didn't think Main had that type of performance in him, but he showed tonight that he is an able backup and having young Anderson here helps the numbers.

Will be interesting to see what happens on Sunday, I would hope for a similar system and 11, but we will revert to type I would assume, Cosgrove back in for Main, back 4 etc.... But at least we should have a spring in our step. 

Despite the fact it was the worst team in the league we were playing it was still a good three points to get.  We actually played the ball on the deck a lot more and scored three good goals and looked comfortable and dare I say it we actually looked like a team rather than a collection of bodies in red shirts, just a pity we couldn't keep a clean sheet.

I think Main would be justified in punching DM if he is dropped for Sunday to allow Cosgrove into the team, but I do expect to see the tombola out again for Sunday where we will face a much sterner test.

JUst good to get that monkey of our backs.

Thought we played well in the first half and scored 3 good goals. Balls from Considine for 1st and third goals were both inch perfect. Good to see McGinn being played in behind Main as many fans had been calling for. Seemed to work well and hopefully something we will continue with. As others have said it was got to remember it was only Hamilton we were playing but it was pleasing to see us moving the ball quickly without resorting to hoofing it. Second half Hamilton got into the game more. Not sure if the was down to them upping their game, having the wind at their backs, Dons taking their foot of the gas or a combination of the three.

Thought we played well in the first half and scored 3 good goals. Balls from Considine for 1st and third goals were both inch perfect. Good to see McGinn being played in behind Main as many fans had been calling for. Seemed to work well and hopefully something we will continue with. As others have said it was got to remember it was only Hamilton we were playing but it was pleasing to see us moving the ball quickly without resorting to hoofing it. Second half Hamilton got into the game more. Not sure if the was down to them upping their game, having the wind at their backs, Dons taking their foot of the gas or a combination of the three.

Aye, Considine deserves huge credit, has had a great season again and Devlin could learn a thing or two from him about distribution - he nearly always plays an actual pass out of defence rather than a punt (although Devlin did manage to cross the ball well a couple of times).

But, yes, it was just Hamilton. I think that back 3 would really struggle with the pace of the Tim. The distance between Considine, McKenna and Devlin was great to see, as was the number of times that either one of them was high up the pitch getting involved in play, but that's also very easy to exploit for a team as good as the Tim.

I totally agree about seeing McGinn close to Main through the middle. It was great to see, and his movement really helped. It's frustrating that this hasn't been done with Cosgrove and McGinn, especially when Cosgrove was mis-firing and needed the additional help. It's almost like he can only play one way with Cosgrove in the team, yet I think Cosgrove and McGinn would be significantly better than Main and McGinn given the opportunity.

It will be very interesting to see if Campbell gets in ahead of McGeouch on Sunday. McGeouch has been average since he came and doesn't yet look fit. With Ojo improving and Ferguson doing better last night, McGeouch is clearly the weak link in there. With Bryson returning that may give us something more in the coming weeks too.

Yes Considine played in two great balls for goals 1 and 3 but he's employed mainly for defence and that's what he'll be exclusively required for on Sunday. Did we not see that he fucked up for their goal last night? Did it not matter because the game was already won? He's been a great servant and has great heart but for the majority of his 500+ games, he's been played in the wrong position by successively shit managers. I fear a thrashing at Pittodrie coming up precisely because we will be defending the vast majority of the time and guys like him aren't good enough at it.

Fantastic first half performance, 3 excellent goals and totally dominated Hamilton. Second half not quite up to the same standard but still fairly comfortable although losing a sloppy goal near the end.

As others have said, Main was very good. I personally thought Ojo had shaded it for m.o.m. but not going to argue about Main getting it. McGinn also looked good and the 3 at the back all did well, Considine especially for his assists. Agree with Rico that McGeouch doesn't look particularly good...…..I suppose it could be that he hasn't played much over the past 18 months and lacks match fitness. However when we were originally after him in the summer of 2018 I was dead against it....at he time we were supposedly going to make him our highest paid player and I was very glad that Sunderland blew our generous offer out the water. I can't imagine he has come to us to lose out on money so imagine we have bunged him a signing on fee equivalent to what he was due in his last 6 months contract down there and will be right up there with Joe as our highest earner. I have grave misgivings about this....I just think he's nae very good end of.

Surprised Hernandez didn't get a 15 minute run out last night. That he chose to use Logan in going for game management in the last 15 minutes makes me wonder if Hernandez isn't much of a defender....a bit like Tavernier at sevco?

On to Celtic on Sunday. I'd like to see us persevere with the 3 at the back....I get that Celtic's pace could cause problems but going to a throwback 80s formation of employing a sweeper (and in doing so abandoning using offside as a tactic) could negate that.... but you just know that McInnes will shit the bed on it and revert to a flat back 4, with Logan likely taking McLennan's place. Campbell can feel aggrieved at missing out starting last night...I'd hope he comes in for McGeouch. Main deserves to keep his place for the time being....Cosgrove won't be happy but 2 or 3 games as a sub might just buck his ideas up.

My Main hat trick prediction was tongue in cheek,but he took us all by surprise a bit last night.Hope Deek works out why Main can acheive a performance like that,assuming it wasnt just down to the shiteness of Accies.

Not sure if Derek would have rolled the dice like he did,without the pressure he was under,but he's surley seen the difference it made.Would be happy to carry on with last nights system at the expense of a few extra goals and defeats short term if it suits the players we have