Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons - killie - cup

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only fair we give Connor Johnston some credit. Comes on in the 118th minute, decks Ferguson for the penalty then scores the winner. Without him we’re oot!

Was it not Stuart Findlay that decked Ferguson? The Killie manager seemed to be blaming him in the post-match interview (pretty angrily). But certainly Johnston deserves praise for a fine finish. Has a better strike rate for us in 3 minutes of action than Nicky Maynard managed in a whole season  :laughing:

Was it not Stuart Findlay that decked Ferguson? The Killie manager seemed to be blaming him in the post-match interview (pretty angrily). But certainly Johnston deserves praise for a fine finish. Has a better strike rate for us in 3 minutes of action than Nicky Maynard managed in a whole season  :laughing:

Findlay the guilty party.

What a fucking night that was.

In fifty plus years of watching Aberdeen I thought I'd seen it all and then along came last evening.

Have never seen a team put on three subs at half time (at least that I can remember).

Now either McInnes is a tactic genius or one lucky fucker

Either way, I'm not really bothered at present just want savour the monent.

Think my ticker has just about returned to normal heart rate

Well, that was £15 well spent, in the end!

That 1st Half was a complete write off, an unacceptable performance and you would question why McInnes would change things, considering how well we played on Sunday, it was without doubt the wrong 11 and the wrong formation. Thankfully he realized that, but I am not giving McGeouch, McLennan or Bryson any stick, they are simply following instructions, they all tried to get involved but we were far too safe with the ball and barely penetrated them.

As bad as we were, Killie weren't much better, they certainly had more intent, but thankfully Ash Taylor won just about everything that came into our box in that First Half, he was solid and the only Player to get pass marks. Kennedy tried, but he got better as the game went on, more on him later.

I will say it again and will continue saying it, Lewis Ferguson is an imposter. Passing out of play, passing to Killie Players, very slow with the ball at his feet, needless fouls yet again ( Brophy scored a free kick from Fergsuon's idiotic, lazt foul ) the boy brings nothing to this team. Granted he won the Penalty, but that was from sheer inexperience and recklessness from Findlay.

Anyway, much better team 2nd Half, Kennedy was unplayable, just his delivery letting him down at the moment, but if this is him settled now, then he can make a difference, Logan & Campbell also played really well, we were sharper, we were getting forward quicker and we were playing better football. Cosgrove hitting the bar was extremely unlucky, good powerful header, I thought Branescu got fingertips to it, I was sat right behind it, but Goal Kick was given.

In the end it was a brilliant night, well worth the admission fee, Matty Kennedy was blowing out his arse, he was fucked, but he tracked back and broke forward every time and deserves an enormous amount of credit. Ash Taylor in the first half especially, also deserves credit.

Interesting to single out Ferguson's negatives. He played a key role in Kennedy goal and driving into the box to win the penalty at that stage of the game was excellent play. Campbell and Devlin were both shambolic for the third Killie goal yet you reckon Campbell "played really well", which he may well have done but deserves more stick for his attempt at a tackle than Ferguson does for anything he did.

It's entirely possible he's being used incorrectly and should be played in a role that demands he make these kinds of runs into the box regularly but it's incredibly harsh to describe him as an imposter.

I single him out most weeks, good and bad, and the fact is that it's Bad, the majority of the time, yet he seems to be first choice CM, CDM or CAM, he's played in all of these positions and offers the same, needless fouls, lazy tackles, poor passing and the odd positive moment, as you correctly point out, his determination that led to the Penalty was very good.

When Campbell came on, his immediate thought was to lift his head, pass the ball, either forward or out wide and I am absolutely certain that he made more successful passes than Ferguson did, in 45 minutes less game time. Yes, his tackle, or attempt at a tackle, was poor, but Devlin should have dealt with that, without absolving Campbell of any blame. I suppose what I am trying to say is that I would comfortably select Campbell, Ojo or McGeouch ahead of Ferguson every single time. Yes, think the boy is an imposter, that lives off a headed winner vs Rangers. Said numerous times I believe he has potential, but he's nowhere near good enough to be our main Midfielder but lo and behold, McGeouch has been in the door 5 minutes and he's already written off, Bryson has been extremely unlucky with injuries but has already been written off, despite clearly being a good Player that has played consistently well at a very good level, their experience and ability, after a consistent run of games, would improve us considerably, as long as Ojo is tidying up behind them.

Horrendous mistakes by Lewis and Devlin for their ET goals. Lucky that it didn't matter in the end cos they made similarly bad errors at the wrong times. Great heart to keep on pushing to get a win. Brilliant night for those who were there, hopefully not in vain and an indicator that the HUGELY overdue Scottish Cup win might be this year.

I had written McGeouch off more than 18 months ago when he left Hibs. I didn't want him then (especially on the wages we were offering), I didn't want him even more after the (minimum) 2 times he turned us down in the interim and I didn't want him in January. I did want him to go to Hibs though.

Quite simply....I think he is the real imposter in our midfield options. He could barely get a game at Sunderland for 18 months under 2 different managers in EFL fucking 1. Ferguson is still very young and gets shuttled between three different midfield roles without getting a settled run in one of them. I accept that injuries to others has necessitated this and that bad management also played a part in his often indifferent form....it was clear to everyone that in December 2018 and December 2019 the loon needed taken out the team and rested for 2 or 3 games but DM persisted with him in both occasions.

Anyway having seen the highlights I absolutely concur with giving Lewis the blame for their second goal and Devlin the third. Lewis has made a few howlers over his time with us and personally I think he is a decent keeper but nowhere near as good as some of our support would have you believe. Indeed if we got an offer for him in the summer I wouldn't be averse to taking the cash and trying to sign Hladcky from St Mirren (who has stated he will be leaving) as a replacement. He certainly needs the captaincy removed from him and handed to an outfield player (McKenna need not put himself forward for the role). Devlin...….what can I say about his clusterfuck attempt at a clearance at their third goal? Embarrassing, although as McInnes said in his post-match interview on the tranny that Campbell should certainly have made the tackle earlier in the build up. But Devlin's regression has been stunning over the past 12 months. I'm not saying he has given up trying and is working his ticket out the club....but I think in summer that would be the best course of action for both club and the loon himself. Hopefully Taylor was only subbed off as a precaution and will be available on Saturday.

Finally....I'm not getting involved in the "our name is written on the Cup" hype that I'm seeing elsewhere. A quarter final against St Mirren is definitely eminently winnable. But I have huge misgivings about our ability to beat both the arse cheeks in a potential semi/final 2 game run. I think we are certainly capable of beating one of them in a one off game but suspect we need the draw at  that point to be very favourable, ideally pairing the 2 of them together (even better having Hearts and St J pamp them out in the quarters but can anyone seriously believe that's even a remote possibility).

Roller coaster of a game. 1st half was awful. 3 at the back was obviously not working and was surprised it took McInnes so long to move McLennan back as a stop gap right back or that he did not immediately replace one of midfield holding 3 with Logan rather than waiting until half time. Midfield 3 also did not work and we had far to many moves slowed down by them. 2nd half with Logan and almost a 4-4-2 we looked decent and more balanced until it got the strikers who offered little goal threat. Pretty sure Considine’s header was first effort on target. Extra time was wild. Some awful defending from both sides.

Wanna laugh I put £4 on Andrew Considine at (8/1) for Anytime Goal on Wednesday night and when we went to collect the £36 lass behind til claimed it had been settled as A LOSER!!  Firm I put bet on is based North East of England.  Girl had to go message Head Office and get it sorted!!!!